"Its harder to become an elite boxer than an elite mma fighter"

I believe it is harder to be elite in boxing simply cause of the deep talent pool. Nearly every damn country has a well developed amateur boxing program , often with government backing . Kids start very young.

The more specialized a skill is the harder it is to be elite at it , of course it's harder to be an elite boxer than Mma fighter & this is coming from someone who is more of an Mma fan , it harder to be elite at boxing , Jiu Jitsu , wrestling ,hell sumo wrestling than Mma , you have to have a special aptitude to be good at something like that .

And Mma , witch I love to watch by the way , is exciting because there are so many factors as to who wins and looses on any given night that it's a crazy spectacular thing to watch

I would say boxing.

As people mentioned already, its very difficult to rise to the cream of the crop as opposed to mma. 1 tough early loss could set a guy back pretty far, whereas one solid early win or being a loud mouth can propell you to a title in mma...lol.

Also....its one thing being elite, its another thing being super elite......someone who doesnt lose yet makes the heavy cake in mma.

I see all this changing though as mma is still a very young sport. Fighters are becoming more and more well rounded and kids now have the opportunity to start off in mma gyms learning multiple arts. The landscape will change greatly over the next generation.

Last edited:
Most people who have an opinion on this subject have never taken Jiujitsu, muay thai, or wrestling. Floyd Mayweather could get tapped out by a 115lb 16 yr old girl blue belt.

Most people who have an opinion on this subject have never taken Jiujitsu, muay thai, or wrestling. Floyd Mayweather could get tapped out by a 115lb 16 yr old girl blue belt.

Have you ever wrestled with a national level wrestler?

I've done a bit of coke tonight, but I grew up with guys who wrestled, and I had another friend who was an elite judoka. Grappling is something, but people don't quite grasp how special a boxer like Mayweather is.

Last edited:

I've done a bit of coke tonight, but I grew up with guys who wrestled, and I had another friend who was an elite judoka. Grappling is something, but people don't quite grasp how special a boxer like Mayweather is.

There's no discernible difference to the average untrained guy.

If you wrestle with a national champ you will have zero success and be radgolled effortlessly. If you box with a national champ the same thing happens, only you get punched instead of thrown.

The ridiculousness comes when you get guys like DeJulez who thinks Floyd would beat Cain Velasquez in a street fight. In reality, sensible observers of both sports know full well that Joe Rogan beats the fuck of Floyd outside the ring more times than not, never mind a Heavyweight like Cain.

In reality, sensible observers of both sports know full well that Joe Rogan beats the fuck of Floyd outside the ring more times than not, never mind a Heavyweight like Cain.

That's not sensible at all. Take it from a former wrestler, that's like saying a general hobby grappler is gonna take out a prestigious athlete who fights for a living. And don't try and tell me Rogan is for real, that soft piece of shit is the least serious fighter in existence.

There's no discernible difference to the average untrained guy.

If you wrestle with a national champ you will have zero success and be radgolled effortlessly. If you box with a national champ the same thing happens, only you get punched instead of thrown.

The ridiculousness comes when you get guys like DeJulez who thinks Floyd would beat Cain Velasquez in a street fight. In reality, sensible observers of both sports know full well that Joe Rogan beats the fuck of Floyd outside the ring more times than not, never mind a Heavyweight like Cain.
joe rogan would not beat up Floyd. Cain would.

like Canelo said, Floyd (and Pac) are at rare levels of prestige, not just within boxing, but within all of combat sports, and even sports, period.

That would be like comparing Floyd to Karelin. I don't expect any guy, regardless of field, to just walk in an beat a guy like Karelin in a wrestling match, or even in a fight, period.

It's funny how much credit a guy gets from the MMA community for taking tons of human growth hormone and hanging out with fighters. Let's see Rogan actually fight someone before we go saying he beats up any professional fighters, let alone one of the all time greats. Or at least let's see what he looks like after a year or two of not using steroids, then re-evaluate how impressive the guy is.

With MMA you have options. You can be a D1 College level wrestler and learn some basic boxing and be pretty good. But its pretty damn impossible to be just really good at striking and succeed in MMA because once it hits the ground you will be exposed. Skill wise,

the fuck are you talking about? Floyd is one of the greatest boxers of all time...and he would still get tapped by a blue belt. Thats the point! You can be the greatest boxer in the world and still lose to a beginner in grappling.

With MMA you have options. You can be a D1 College level wrestler and learn some basic boxing and be pretty good. But its pretty damn impossible to be just really good at striking and succeed in MMA because once it hits the ground you will be exposed. Skill wise,

the fuck are you talking about? Floyd is one of the greatest boxers of all time...and he would still get tapped by a blue belt. Thats the point! You can be the greatest boxer in the world and still lose to a beginner in grappling.
So a guy from the street in a real fight embarrassing a UFC fighter but an all time great fighter /boxer would lose to a
Blue belt ?

No chance Floyd wins ? Is that what you claim ?

Oh in 2017 the answer is still yes to the op question

So a guy from the street in a real fight embarrassing a UFC fighter but an all time great fighter /boxer would lose to a
Blue belt ?

No chance Floyd wins ? Is that what you claim ?

Oh in 2017 the answer is still yes to the op question
Now you're assuming too much. Nobody is talking about fighting, were talking about skills. Did I say Floyd vs a girl in a fight? NO!!! My point is how can you say one is harder than the other when boxing doesn't even deal with kicks, wrestling, and BJJ???Now look at guys who are Olympic level wrestlers or world champion BJJ guys, still doesn't mean they will be an elite MMA fighter. Boxing has just been around longer so the talent pool is larger but to put 3-4 disciplines together and become an elite MMA fighter???Unless you've taken 1 BJJ class your opinion means nothing to me.

Now you're assuming too much. Nobody is talking about fighting, were talking about skills. Did I say Floyd vs a girl in a fight? NO!!! My point is how can you say one is harder than the other when boxing doesn't even deal with kicks, wrestling, and BJJ???Now look at guys who are Olympic level wrestlers or world champion BJJ guys, still doesn't mean they will be an elite MMA fighter. Boxing has just been around longer so the talent pool is larger but to put 3-4 disciplines together and become an elite MMA fighter???Unless you've taken 1 BJJ class your opinion means nothing to me.
Trained with Ruas so to you my opinion means something .

any very specialized sport will be harder to reach elite status than mma in its current form. This includes boxing . Just is .

Mma more chances to win

Boxing the room for error is less
This is at the elite level in its current form.

Trained with Ruas so to you my opinion means something .

any very specialized sport will be harder to reach elite status than mma in its current form. This includes boxing . Just is .

Mma more chances to win

Boxing the room for error is less
This is at the elite level in its current form.
agree to disagree,,cheers!

joe rogan would not beat up Floyd. Cain would.

What are you basing that on?

Rogan is a 190lb BJJ and Taekwondo blackbelt, all he would need to do is get any kind of grip on Floyd and it's over in 1 minute max.

Yes Floyd could KO him before he gets a hold of him, but I'd say Rogan gets a grip on him more times than Floyd KO's him cold with the first punch he throws. Alternatively he could fuck Floyd up with 1 or 2 leg kicks or nearly kill him with a sidekick.

It doesn't matter if it's Rogan or anyone else with those credentials, they beat the shit out of Floyd more times than not, especially if it's a realistic fight where both guys actually want to hurt each other.

It's funny how much credit a guy gets from the MMA community for taking tons of human growth hormone and hanging out with fighters. Let's see Rogan actually fight someone before we go saying he beats up any professional fighters, let alone one of the all time greats. Or at least let's see what he looks like after a year or two of not using steroids, then re-evaluate how impressive the guy is.

Why would he need to come off steroids? He legally takes TRT like a lot of older, athletic dudes do. I'll do the same too at that age if I can afford that shit.

He gets credit for being a BJJ and Taekwondo black belt with plenty of competitive martial arts experience. Any martial artist who can kick like Rogan, whilst having a 40lb size advantage and a BJJ blackbelt would take my money in a fight against Floyd outside the ring.

Back