"Its harder to become an elite boxer than an elite mma fighter"

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have heard this said before many times, and I never really thought about it until recently

what do you think, do you think being an elite boxer takes a much more difficult path/journey than MMA fighters

the claim is there alot more "lucky" factors in an MMA fight than a boxing fight, among many other things

what do you think?

Less people do MMA than Boxing so there is a shorter road to the top. Both sports are incredibly hard to compete in and excel at from an athletic standpoint.

Of course it is.

The sport of MMA is brand new.

The sport of Boxing is much older.

Definitely true.

Lots of top MMA fighters are the product of promotion, IMO.

factually false. mma is the elite combat sport and ufc champions possess 10000x the skill most world champion boxers do. (charles martin lol)

There's obviously a far larger number of participants in boxing than in MMA. That alone makes it statistically much harder to be an elite boxer than an elite MMA fighter.

Current mma prospect heavyweight.
Francis Ngannou
powerhouse said the same thing that his dreams of becoming a pro boxer is harder and was told to take up mma in 3 years he in the UFC killing the competition and beat top UFC former heavyweight champion Andre

Both are hard and require talent but boxing is harder

Boxing is unnatural and requires more unlearning. Look at how many MMA guys can't throw a punch. Wrestling is more intuitive. Though I wouldn't imply anyone to collegiate wresting is something someone could just drop into without doing it for years.

Last edited:
When you lose in MMA it's expected
When you lose in Boxing it's your ass

Both Sports are extremely difficult but it's much harder for the cream to rise to the top in boxing.

According to boxing fans, world champion boxers are bums.

So yeah, it's pretty damn hard to be considered an elite boxer.

Atleast partly true, someone said Ngannou has been training 5 years and is already in the top 10(although HW boxing isnt much different. Both Joshua and Wilder havmt been boxing that long, since their late teens and they are already at the top of HW) HW isnt a very good example no matter which combat sport you look at.....

It takes many years of training atleast one art(Wrestling, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, MT etc) most of the very best guys have been doing atleast one, sometimes two(and we are seeing more and more of this) since they were very young, to get too the top in MMA.

Eventually I think you will see less guys coming in with just the one background and the talent level will continue to get higher and deeper.

MMA gives a viable avenue to people who do many different kinds of martial arts, besides Boxing. It will one day rival Boxing in terms of depth and talent. Its already the more popular combat sport. 20 years from now it will be very different.

When you lose in MMA it's expected
When you lose in Boxing it's your ass

Both Sports are extremely difficult but it's much harder for the cream to rise to the top in boxing.
Part of the reason for that is because MMA has more ways to lose/win and when you enter the UFC it doesnt take long until you get a real challenge. There are also fewer divisions and only one belt per division.

Part of the reason for that is because MMA has more ways to lose/win and when you enter the UFC it doesnt take long until you get a real challenge. There are also fewer divisions and only one belt per division.
Agree, I'm just saying guys in mma with dozens of loses are respected. You Rarely see that in boxing nowadays

Atleast partly true, someone said Ngannou has been training 5 years and is already in the top 10(although HW boxing isnt much different. Both Joshua and Wilder havmt been boxing that long, since their late teens and they are already at the top of HW) HW isnt a very good example no matter which combat sport you look at.....

It takes many years of training atleast one art(Wrestling, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, Kickboxing, MT etc) most of the very best guys have been doing atleast one, sometimes two(and we are seeing more and more of this) since they were very young, to get too the top in MMA.

Eventually I think you will see less guys coming in with just the one background and the talent level will continue to get higher and deeper.

MMA gives a viable avenue to people who do many different kinds of martial arts, besides Boxing. It will one day rival Boxing in terms of depth and talent. Its already the more popular combat sport. 20 years from now it will be very different.
Agree with Heavys, they're less technical than the smaller weights.
We'll have to see 20 years from now, boxing is still doing its thing. Boxing has been "dead" longer than MMA has been alive

Agree, I'm just saying guys in mma with dozens of loses are respected. You Rarely see that in boxing nowadays
Totally true.

Boxing fans cant get over the fact, even find it comical that some of the best, the legends and the champs have more than 1 or 2 losses.

Look at Lawler, Penn or Couture.

But tou have to look at the context.

Back