It is time to retire the concept of "prime" x fighter vs y fighter | Page 2

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by jeskola, Feb 1, 2018.

1. jeskola Nerd

jeskola
    you are a fucking moron, and a "prime" example of my point. what about prime Genghis Khan vs. prime belfort???

2. MRT Brown Belt

MRT
    it make sense to compare 'prime' years for people whose careers are from different eras, or who barely overlap.

look at Jordan and Kobe...slight overlap, with Jordan essentially done just as Kobe is hitting his stride as a star player. No one would deem it fair to compare the MJ who Kobe faced on the court when evaluating who is better. obviously you need to point to MJ's prime years when making that comparison.

but I agree that some people conveniently choose to say a fighter is no longer in their prime when they start losing...that, on its own, is a TERRIBLE measure. clearly we need to evaluate WHY they started losing. did their abilities erode, did they fail to evolve and others caught up, or did they simply run into better fighters?

3. The guest Be water my friend

The guest
    A waste of time, that I’m way too busy to engage in. It’s quite amazing to me actually.

4. djason1988 Purple Belt

djason1988
    It's not popular here, but I'm inclined to agree in some ways at least with the OP. Prime machida is a good example I think. Machida was successful cuz of his footwork and angles at a time when most MMA fighters were plodding MT guys or wrestlers turned boxers. As the level of training increased, people started learning more and more how to cut off the cage and prevent those angles. Shogun more or less laid out the blueprint for that. So imo it's less that machida isn't in his "prime" than his style was just figured out.

Fedor and BJ both had motivational issues, I believe, more so than age. BJ's motivational issues are well documented, and I think if Fedor had any interest in being a top fighter post-Pride, he would have went straight to UFC instead of screwing around in M-1 and making ridiculous demands.

Edit: I will say nothing beats Father Time, however I don't buy for a second people being out of their primes before 35, barring a life altering injury.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. Oj21 Blue Belt

Oj21
    Not really sure why you're so triggered...comparing fighters in their prime is something that will be done forever and makes sense in a way. The examples I used earlier illustrate that. If you can't handle the answers than maybe you shouldn't have asked the question lol.

6. Ilovepizza White Belt

Ilovepizza
    [​IMG]

7. jeskola Nerd

jeskola
    ilovepizza Joined:Jan 20, 2018

8. IsNormal Blue Belt

IsNormal
    The problem is: there really isn't much to discuss between events otherwise.