News Israel Adesanya says he is "not going to fight for a long time" as he plans an extended UFC hiatus.

I find Izzy cringe but respect how active he was as a champion.

A lot of people will say Strikland broke him but it's clear he was reaching that point with his recent performances. I believe him when he says the lack of motivation + injuries added up. Usman was probably in a similar boat when he lost to Edwards.

Good call to take time off and heal up. A rejuvenated Izzy could make another run. But given his age and the miles on his body, his best days might be behind him.

Good for him. One of the few guys post WME merger to disrupt MMA and become one of its biggest stars. One poster mentioned this: leaving the sport with your faculties and millions in the bank is the outcome so few have the opportunity to get. He's won at life. With the next wave coming through I see that belt having a new owner by the end of next year. Zero confidence in Strickland to beat Khamzat, Whittaker, and even Cannonier.

Good for him. One of the few guys post WME merger to disrupt MMA and become one of its biggest stars. One poster mentioned this: leaving the sport with your faculties and millions in the bank is the outcome so few have the opportunity to get. He's won at life. With the next wave coming through I see that belt having a new owner by the end of next year. Zero confidence in Strickland to beat Khamzat, Whittaker, and even Cannonier.
Who cares. He won the title by beating Izzy and that's what matters.

Good riddance. But I feel for his dogs from now on.

So, after this USADA "replacement", we could expect this individual in the next fight to grow two titties instead of one then? We'll see if an extra titty will change his fighting style, at least.

Last edited:
Strickland can prove me wrong but that win only has meaning because of Adesanya's reign lol. The high of these shocking wins is what makes this sport great, but it fades just as fast. Seen it so many times. Garbrandt, Holm, hell even Pereira to an extent. Time will tell <Lmaoo>

Of all the challengers he has faced, Sean is the last one I expected an upset from.

They’ll offer him an extra 400k for the Saudi card in March and he’ll be back.

Danm getting out pointed by Strickland took his soul. Dana blessed the rematch and Izzy coach was all we could do it next week. Great news for DDP and merit he deserves a TS.

Good luck Izzy hopefully this time off he finds it.

Wish them the best in their transition and look forward to the new WMMA contender.

Truly a sad day in MMA

His even though his greatness won’t truly be appreciated till years later he will be missed.

One of the most inspiring and captivating fighters in the history of the sport.

IZZYbless
<mma1><mma1><mma1>

Can you name any fighters who’s greatness was only truly appreciated years later? You had a sentence in mind that you wanted to use and it didn’t matter if it made sense

Not an Izzy fan in the slightest but I respect what he’s done in the cage and appreciate that he was an ACTIVE champion. He was clearly checked out in his last fight and I’m sure when he comes back in a year or two we will see a monster again.

Strickland truly broke this man

There's a great thread in the standup forum taking the fight apart from a technical perspective.

Izzy likes to counter strike and use his kicking game, Sean's pressure, parries, tall stance, and entering with a high lead leg were shutting down Izzy's kicks while pinning him to the fence. Izzy has never been much of a combination puncher, which is probably the top thing he should change.

Combination punching and level changes into a wrestling threat would be the top things to punish a guy fighting how Sean fought that night, but Israel did neither.

I'd like to see him diversify his boxing in this time off, get more comfortable with combinations, and not be limited only to sniping.

“It takes a lot of energy to be a rockstar”
As silly as this quote is it’s quite on the money.

As GSP has stated, staying at the top of the game is what’s the hardest about being champion. Izzy has been fighting at the highest competitive level with very high activity. That’s not an easy thing to do mentally & physically. He looked checked out of his last fight too. (not taking anything away from Strickland)
Good for him, take a break. He’s earned it.

However, let’s be honest. Time is not on his side, he’s reaching the twilight of his career and if he decides to sit out too long it will be detrimental.
Yeah while I understand and think it’s good to sit out and heal up and such. He’s 34 with over 100 fights.
Will be interesting to see how he looks upon his return

The old school advice from the great boxing coaches was after a devastating loss you should take a 8-10 months off. Izzy has been TKO'd and out classed in 2 of the last 3 fights. I think he knows something is up and needs to take a break. Perhaps he felt he had overcome after beating Alex only to lose to his nightmare opponent Strickland.

He will never hear the end of it

Back