Is Woodley-Maia disheartening for you BJJ guys?

You mean to tell me that in order to take someone down, you need to be a better wrestler than them?

Yes, my earth has been shattered.

There have been instances where a wrestler was taken down by a Gracie. I believe Renzo did it.

I think a more interesting discussion than Maia and his technique or lack of certain skills which has been discussed ad nauseam. Is a discussion of how his main issue overall has been cardio. Which is directly related to him cutting weight. Which reflects on trends and metas of mma more than a diss on Maia

Most analysts seem to agree that his striking is passable. The main consistent issues are cardio and athleticism. I don’t see Maia’s issues as a representation of whether or not Bjj “works” when adapted to mma. (obviously it does, anyone who doesn’t think so is a twit).

I see it as a reflection of why weight cutting still exists and lack of athleticism can only be overcome so much

I love to see good BJJ in MMA

Not only subs but also nice scrambles. People able to get off the ground when they want to, sweeps, reversals, top control...

But in nowadays MMA, if you're no threath with your striking, you don't belong at the top. Just like the striker who can't defend a single leg or a basic sub.

I love to see good BJJ in MMA

Not only subs but also nice scrambles. People able to get off the ground when they want to, sweeps, reversals, top control...

But in nowadays MMA, if you're no threath with your striking, you don't belong at the top. Just like the striker who can't defend a single leg or a basic sub.

I love BJJ too but after Jones, Cormier, Woodley it looks to me that wrestling base+basic jujitsu OWNS BJJ + wrestling basics. Bas Rutten talked about this years ago. Before wrestlers took over

This is an indictment on take downs, not BJJ. There is a reason Woodley worked so hard not to get taken down. If BJJ wasn't legit, he wouldn't have been worried?

Why didn't Woodly use his takedowns on Maia? He must have failed as a wrestler. Or else, he respected the BJJ.

yes, I wish Maia had better striking and was able to force him to engage on the ground. But that doesn't impact my appreciation for BJJ.

This is an indictment on take downs, not BJJ. There is a reason Woodley worked so hard not to get taken down. If BJJ wasn't legit, he wouldn't have been worried?

Why didn't Woodly use his takedowns on Maia? He must have failed as a wrestler. Or else, he respected the BJJ.

yes, I wish Maia had better striking and was able to force him to engage on the ground. But that doesn't impact my appreciation for BJJ.

It's not that BJJ is not legit, it's that you might not be able to impose it. If Woodley was an Olympic level Greco Roman he could have probably tossed Maia around. Is there any BJJ expert who could have taken down this beast?

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is the following: did the Gracie members who were able to take down merited wrestlers cross train in their parentart Judo? How else can you explain the failings of Werdum and Maia? Tyron Woodley is not an all-time great wrestler. He is not better than the wrestlers Renzo souped up.

Anyway, what I'm getting at here is the following: did the Gracie members who were able to take down merited wrestlers cross train in their parentart Judo? How else can you explain the failings of Werdum and Maia? Tyron Woodley is not an all-time great wrestler. He is not better than the wrestlers Renzo souped up.

he is better at MMA than all the guys Renzo "souped up"..... and that is what they are competing at.

he is better at MMA than all the guys Renzo "souped up"..... and that is what they are competing at.

There wasn’t any MMA element to Woodleys takedown defence, at least not the first round. Yes he clipped Maia outside of that, but a perfectly healthy Maia tried over and over and over again to take this guy down, and was stuffed. It's amazing to watche because Maias takedowns aren't bad, at least not in my eyes.

There wasn’t any MMA element to Woodleys takedown defence, at least not the first round. Yes he clipped Maia outside of that, but a perfectly healthy Maia tried over and over and over again to take this guy down, and was stuffed. It's amazing to watche because Maias takedowns aren't bad, at least not in my eyes.

Using the cage to help defend the TD wasnt an MMA element?? Maia got cut and his eye was shutting already in the 1st round, isnt that an MMA element?? Get clipped a few times by a guy like Woodley and your TDs might not be looking as sharp. Also just because Woodley wasnt the most credentialed wrestler doesnt mean he stopped improving as a grappler once he started training mma full time. If it wasnt that way then any amazing better credentialed wrestler would be champ via takedowns vs him but it isnt so easy. Putting too much faith in amateur credentials and not enough into MMA grappling credentials where Woodley is a stud.

You used Renzo comparison for example. I think Woodley shrugs him off, too.

Not disheartening at all. Except that I like Maia and hoped he’d win. One good fighter lost to another good fighter. Maia has awesome jiu jitsu. A loss doesn’t change that. It doesn’t make his jiu jitsu any less effective and it especially doesn’t effect anyone else’s I don’t think.

Not really.

Arona kicked Overeem’s butt and Shields whipped Woodley. So there you go.

How about a peak Rickson Gracie? Did he ever improve his takedowns over time?

Rickson is from a different time and place. I would bet money Paulo Miyaos with two years of striking could beat all of his opponents in striking.

Thanks.. let me introduce you to my friend Sarah. She’s perfectly sane, as she is hot lol
Crazy+hot+chart_4d5de3_5250922.jpg

TS what kind of logic is that ?

Sure Maia couldn't take Woodley down to use his bjj.... but couldn't I also say Woodley couldn't submit Maia because he refused to take him down ?

It's a fight, and both want to beat the other person up. Remove points for a minute and you can see both failed, but at least Maia wanted to bring Woodley into his world and Woodley, no slouch as a grappler himself feared Maias bjj so much he refused to use his offensive take down skills at all.

Back