Is wonderboy the most well rounded and skilled striker in mma history?

Plenty of reasons to hate the guy but the answer is Conor, all day long.

The sport has never seen a big power, forward-moving, constantly pressuring, pinpoint accurate counter striker like McG. Watching the dude perform is like watching blood ballet.
Oh please.
giphy.gif

Anderson Silva

LMAO. The post above yours perfectly describes Anderson Silva's striking. This one:

He can't effectively strike moving forward

There isn't one correct answer for the most well rounded striker in MMA history, but one thing is certain: for sure it is NOT Anderson Silva. If you're not overaggressive and overextending then Anderson Silva doesn't have much at all, as shown in his fights against Patrick Cote, Demian Maia, Chael Sonnen #1, Chris Weidman (both), Michael Bisping, Derek Brunson.

Anderson Silva is without a doubt the #1 most overrated fighter in MMA history.

GSP isn't considered a striker. NOBODY has ever been afraid of his striking, they were afraid of his wrestling which made his striking that much better. No is the answer to TS question, and the correct answer to the proposed situation is Anderson Silva.
Wrong and Wrong. Having amazing takedowns and top control doesn't mean he didn't have great striking as well. It's the reason he is considered by many, the greatest fighter ever. Because he excelled at both.

And to your point, he was actually considered a "striker" early in his career. He outstruck every fighter he ever fought. Dropping many of them. And did so with the best jab in MMA, a wide arsenal of kicks, and great timing in his right hand.

Anderson silva got dropped by sonnen, got beat by Chris weidman on feet and having hard time with rich franklin.
Call me when he tool'd strikers like Rory, masvidal and Whittaker
Plus he's a roider

So Woodley doesn't count against Wonderboy because of the threat of the takedown, but Sonnen and Weidman do count against Anderson? Showing a bit of hypocrisy here, and just fucking LOL at "hard time with Rich Franklin".

What does that make woodley? He didn’t drop him using his grappling that’s for sure. Wonderboy is up there , I’d love to have that kind of leg dexterity and accuracy with all my strikes. His hands aren’t that technical but he throws with pin point accuracy it’s beautiful to watch.

He’s also a fantastic athlete, I mean people on here clamor for “ A level” athletes but wonderboy is a high level athlete anyway you cut it in my eyes.

He can't effectively strike moving forward

Very true the Matt Brown fight is maybe the best example of this. Brown crowded Wonderboy the entire fight and was eventually lured into a brawl which he lost.

Have there been better, more decorated strikers than Thompson? Absolutely. But I think where WB stands out is how he's adapted his style to fit MMA. He's fasicnating to watch from range.

Just stop.silva never fought and tool'd strikers like masvidal,Whittaker and Rory.
The best he beat is vitor who's off roid when he fought silva
Wonderboy is the most overrated striker in the UFC. Battered on his feet twice by Woodley, embarrassing.

Plenty of reasons to hate the guy but the answer is Conor, all day long.

The sport has never seen a big power, forward-moving, constantly pressuring, pinpoint accurate counter striker like McG. Watching the dude perform is like watching blood ballet.

What makes Conor's striking better than any other run of the mill accurate power puncher is his ability to be comfortable on the lead or comfortable on the counter and also not neglect using kicks as part of his set ups.

Anthony Johnson.

If he had an semblance of a ground game or any heart when in a bad position on the ground, he'd be exponentially better. Still, standing, he's insanely talented and that goes well beyond just his power.

I honestly think he'd be the only fighter willing to stand with heavy hitters like Ngannou, not go for a TD, and still come out on top. People will post some decade old eye pokes as supposed evidence of his subpar defense, but that's really cherry picking without context.

Back