is ufc not "cool" anymore?

Atlanta doesnt really seem to support any sport,why would MMA be any different?

Atlanta supports the Falcons and Braves just fine. 6800 people coming out for a Wednesday card(that started at 4PM) with a main event of two guys coming off losses who aren't draws is pretty impressive IMO.

Bas said it best: if you don't like fighting, you are a girly man. It doesn't surprise me it's no longer cool when there are grown men listening to Justin Beiber nowadays.

PaxycLx.jpg

Fair weather fans exist in all sports

Bas said it best: if you don't like fighting, you are a girly man. It doesn't surprise me it's no longer cool when there are grown men listening to Justin Beiber nowadays.

Wait, what?

We had a hard time selling playoff tickets in GB

I guess the NFL isn't cool anymore

zuffa shills itt

No, the UFC is not nearly as popular as it was a few years ago. People will try to spin it and tell you you're crazy and blah blah blah, but use your common sense and you'll get the picture. Not many marketable stars, watered down cards, etc have killed the buzz for this sport.

People used to love seeing an mma fight (ANY mma fight) because it was different. It was new and exciting, and was NOT boxing or toughman. "I just like watching fights." We used to hear that all the time. But NOW, you see mma fights all the time. The UFC has flooded tv with so many fights now, that the interest in just ANY old mma fight isn't there. Nobody cares. When you have several cards a year that not even hardcore fans give a crap about, that's a problem.

To counteract the declining interest in just any mma fight being on tv, the UFC needs marketable stars. If they had several of those, it'd be a different story. But they don't right now, so interest is dropping quicker than a drunken prom dates panties.

It'll get better. But right now, that's where we're at.

The other day I popped in some old UFC dvds that I hadn't watched in years. I was AMAZED by how good the cards were!

UFC 43 Meltdown

-Pedro Rizzo, Matt Lindland, Yves Edwards, Frank Mir, Vitor, Tank, Kimo, Chuck and Randy

UFC 44 Undisputed

-Caol Uno, Hermes Franca, Nick Diaz, Josh Thomson, Karo Parisyan, Rich Franklin, David Loiseau, Jorge Rivera, Tim Sylvia, Arlovski, Tito and Randy

UFC 49 Unfinished Business

-Yves Edwards, Josh Thomson, Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle, Chuck, Joe Riggs, Randy and Vitor

So wtf happened to THOSE kind of cards???

UFC 49 Unfinished Business

-Yves Edwards, Josh Thomson, Karo Parisyan, Nick Diaz, Chris Lytle, Chuck, Joe Riggs, Randy and Vitor

So wtf happened to THOSE kind of cards???
  • Thomson was 2-0 in the UFC.
  • Karo was 1-1.
  • Lytle was 1-1.
  • Riggs was making his UFC debut.

They still happen. You guys just complain about them being no names and watered down.

I never got that skipping the prelims part. I want to see two guys fight, the more fights I see the better. Might even be some talent there that I never heard of before. Especially when going to an event and paying for tickets, I'm gonna make sure I enjoy myself and watch all the fights. Can always get a drink or what not if the fight is really that bad.

• Thomson was 2-0 in the UFC.
  • Karo was 1-1.
  • Lytle was 1-1.
  • Riggs was making his UFC debut.

They still happen. You guys just complain about them being no names and watered down.

Yeah Ravden we know where YOU stand on this issue.

As a hardcore, I actually remember when that card happened. And I can tell you, fans knew about ALL those fighters I listed. They might have had only a couple of fights in the UFC at that point, but they were still known names, at least on here, amongst us.

And even if those guys hadn't been known, I like how you still left out Yves, Nick, Chuck, Randy AND Vitor ON THE SAME CARD!

Say what ya want, but any of us with common sense know when a product's quality is not as good as it once was.

Yeah Ravden we know where YOU stand on this issue.

As a hardcore, I actually remember when that card happened. And I can tell you, fans knew about ALL those fighters I listed. They might have had only a couple of fights in the UFC at that point, but they were still known names, at least on here, amongst us.

And even if those guys hadn't been known, I like how you still left out Yves, Nick, Chuck, Randy AND Vitor ON THE SAME CARD!

Say what ya want, but any of us with common sense know when a product's quality is not as good as it once was.
Yves was 4-2 in the UFC at that time. That's basically Jamie Varner's record. Nick was 2-0. There are eight top ten fighters on the main card of UFC 169. It just seems like you haven't kept up with the sport and are hanging onto old stars.

UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou had an attendance of 5,822, not great of course but we're talking about a minor sport and about wednesday free cards.

Just for comparison with the others wednesday's fight nights:

Rockhold vs. Philippou - 5,822
Fight for the Troops 3 - ?????
Maia vs. Shields - 6,621
Teixeira vs. Bader - 5,126
Condit vs. Kampmann 2 - 6,417

I think it's telling that so many people in this thread are embarrassed to admit to liking the UFC in public. Who is embarrassed about liking the NFL or women's figure skating?

I think it's telling that so many people in this thread are embarrassed to admit to liking the UFC in public. Who is embarrassed about liking the NFL or women's figure skating?
I think it's telling that you are so concerned with being perceived as "cool" at what I assume to be around 30-35 years of age. God help you if those people you are trying to impress ever discover you post on a UFC forum.

Last edited:
Back