is ufc not "cool" anymore?

Were you looking forward to this for weeks?

Ufcfightnight15.PNG

or this?

Ufcfightnight101_(1).jpg

or this?

UFC_Fight_Night_9_Stevenson_vs_Guillard_Poster.jpg

or this?

200px-UFCFN12.jpg

or this?

url.jpg

or this?

ufn17front.jpg

nate diaz vs neer
danzig vs quida

yes

spencer fisher

yes

joe stevenson vs melvin
mir

yes

florian vs din thomas

yes

lauzon vs stephens

yes

We can compare fight nights all day long. They're free cards, so you don't expect much. I get that about this last one. BUT, if you look at these other FN's you listed, they at least had 2 notable names on them.

How about we compare PPV's from that time, to the PPV's from the last 3 years of so? Wanna do that?

Just so we're clear, are you seriously arguing that the UFC hasn't been watering down their cards in the last few years? Is that honestly your opinion? I'm just curious.

UFC is corny as fuck, I'm almost embarassed to say I watch it

They are watering the cards down too much with this volume and the emerging talent lacks a lot of the star appeal that carried the sport to new heights over the past 7 years.

As great as the top fighters are today many of them simply fall very short in the charisma department and that puts buts in the seats.

I see you tryin to spin this, so let me unspin it for everybody. Someone already said, they had a lot less cards per year back then. You can tell by seeing the same fighter fighting in back to back cards. That means there were a few months in between cards. What that also means is that even if a guy had 1 or 2 fights in the UFC at the time, they were still KNOWN fighters (at least on sherdog). Back then you could have 2 fights in the UFC and still be a star to the hardcore fans.

I also see that you picked only one of the events I listed and excluded the other two, to try to fool people into thinking your point was correct. It isn't. I listed those 3 cards because that happened to be 3 of the old dvds I had laying around. If you like we can go into each and every card around that time, and see how much star power they stacked their cards with, as compared to today.

If you think they're increasing the number of cards by like 3 or 4 times what they used to be, and the product is NOT getting watered down, then I don't know what to tell ya.

We used to get excited for each and every single card. Because we knew we'd be paying for a good product, and mma fights weren't something we saw that often back then. I love fights as much as anybody, probably more than most people, and even I have a hard time getting excited for cards very often these days. Because we all know that a card nowadays is gonna have 2 decent names on it, 3 or 4 if we're lucky.

Tell the truth, were you excited for the card last night? Had you been looking forward to that one for weeks?
No we were excited for cards because there were only 6 events all year instead of 6 events in 2 months. In reality quality was no better. Frank Trigg debuts in the UFC getting a title shot. Like mentioned early Tim Sylvia got his title shot after beating Cabbage on a UFC prelim. Elvis Sinosic once fought for the UFC LHW title. Pre Zuffa but Jon Lober fought for a UFC title and was 0-5-1 in his 6 fights prior.

People tend to remember things better than they actually were and always long for a time that really never existed.

What you can also point out I compaired a PPV to a free fight night card. The road to the top in the past was shorter for most part. You knew more fighters because there were fewer of them not because they were more talented. It's easy to follow 4 weightclasses that recycle the same dozen or so fighters.

The talent today is better the road to the top is longer and much more difficult. Back in the day a guy like Luke Rockhold would debut in a world title fight.

They are watering the cards down too much with this volume and the emerging talent lacks a lot of the star appeal that carried the sport to new heights over the past 7 years.

As great as the top fighters are today many of them simply fall very short in the charisma department and that puts buts in the seats.

I didn't know we watch fighting for charisma. Watered down is not the right word because the fighters are far more talented. The cards are full of very tough experienced fighters. There is sometimes a lack of star power but that is the only way to build new talent. They need a place to showcase their skills and create buzz. Yoel Romero is creating buzz and starting to become a name.

How about we compare PPV's from that time, to the PPV's from the last 3 years of so? Wanna do that?
Sure.

ufc-72-victory

80sf2.jpg

ufc85bedlam.jpg

200px-UFC96poster.jpg

UFC67.jpg

images

Then again, I'm talking to a guy who can get hyped for Spencer Fisher but not Strikeforce champs Rockhold and Saffiedine, so you'll probably try and spin it like Jackson/Jardine was a great main event.

Last edited:

I didn't know we watch fighting for charisma. Watered down is not the right word because the fighters are far more talented. The cards are full of very tough experienced fighters. There is sometimes a lack of star power but that is the only way to build new talent. They need a place to showcase their skills and create buzz. Yoel Romero is creating buzz and starting to become a name.

IMO the UFC has gone down quite a bit. People's favs r retiring or a shell of themselves. Peds, fighter pay, and people not fighting each other r huge problems. Seems fighters r doing more and more peds IMO, and fighting science and ways to beat drug test more than their opponents. UFC should have their own drug testing with the strictest requirements and strictest suspensions. UFC should set the bar for PED testing, and be proud to do it IMO. And fighter pay should be risen immediately. All fighters should make at least 20,000 just to show up and fight. Huge stars should get multi millions. I mean all other sports pay ridicolous amounts of guaranteed money. I mean Floyd mayweather gets 48 million just to show the fuck up. Fighters should get paid a lot more for what they do, and the UFC could afford it. And last big fights seem to have come and gone. Fights people wanna c. I know injuries happen, but when a fighter gets a title shot at 205 immediately even though they haven't won a fight at 205 in year. Vitor. And when a fighter gets tko'd by the 185 pound champ should not immediately get a shot at the 205 belt. Sonnen..
Really you think Peds are more prevalent today when they test like mad? Think about Pride where they didn't test at all. Early unsanctioned UFC events. There will always be Peds but they have always been there. They probably more used in the past but never talked about because nobody tested for them.

Charisma/personality is a big factor.

Like all sports a massive amount of people want to have someone to root for or against. Personality plays a pretty big role in deciding who fans want to see win, lose or even care about in general. I'd put it behind entertainment and skill in the selection process but it's certainly a big part of the picture.

As an oldie you get over than fandom in a fighter or drop off because watching everyone beat Sakuraba into oblivion is just to painful.

nate diaz vs neer
danzig vs quida

yes

spencer fisher

yes

joe stevenson vs melvin
mir

yes

florian vs din thomas

yes

lauzon vs stephens

yes

We can compare fight nights all day long. They're free cards, so you don't expect much. I get that about this last one. BUT, if you look at these other FN's you listed, they at least had 2 notable names on them.

Just so we're clear, are you seriously arguing that the UFC hasn't been watering down their cards in the last few years? Is that honestly your opinion? I'm just curious.

he's right, people constantly complain about cards being "watered down" when it's complete BS. Fight night cards have never been headlined by big stars and with the recent fox cards we've actually been getting a much better quality of free cards.

Once again this thread just highlights how awful most people's memory is because never did the Ufc sell out every single card. They've always had mediocre ppvs here and there and with the SF buyout and WEC merger they actually have way, way more top talent than they ever did.

Basically you and others are bitching that the Ufc puts on more free cards.

nate diaz vs neer
danzig vs quida

yes

spencer fisher

yes

joe stevenson vs melvin
mir

yes

florian vs din thomas

yes

lauzon vs stephens

yes

btw the Ufc has upcoming fight nights with

Ufn 36
Machida vs Mousasi
Jacare/Carmont

Ufn 37
Gus vs Manuwa
Guillard vs Pearson

but Lauzon vs Stephens and Florian vs Din aren't watered down? Amazes me how people will constantly ignore facts so they can reinforce their own opinion.

Lastly what ppvs were you talking about the stellar ones like

119 Mir vs Crocop, Ufc 103 Franklin vs Belfort, Ufc 102 Couture vs Nogueira, Ufc 96 Rampage vs Jardine, Ufc 85 Alves vs Hughes or on and on?

There have always been weak ppvs, weak fight nights and on and on. The funny thing is in 2011 people bitching that it wasn't as good as 09, back in 09 they bitched it wasn't as good as 07 and on and on. Once again proving that no matter what people will use the internet to piss and moan about anything even if it makes no logical sense.

Back