Is there a link between pro wrestling and the disdain for lighter weight classes?

It has a lot to do with the demographic MMA/UFC caters and advertises to ; meatheads and dudebros. Those kind of people are too ignorant and insecure to admit that a smaller person could fuck them up and they're also too stupid to appreciate anything that doesn't end in a KO.

i dont know why there is insecure MMA fans, its clearly one of the most exciting sport and the fastest growing combat sport. it also the closest to the real thing

i dont think anyone doubt that, so what do you expect more

Pro wrestling and MMA will forever be connected and I think that scares some MMA fans because they think that connection hurts the legitimacy of the sport in the eyes of non MMA fans (or maybe I'm giving them too much credit. maybe they just hate the connection because they think pro wrestling isn't "cool").

Regardless, the hate that pro wrestling gets on this forum reeks of insecurity.

I agree, I remember Hulk Hogan was billed as heavier than Typhoon/Tugboat when they were in a tag team because the "leader" had to be heavier...
I don't believe that's true. Hogan was always billed at about 300 lbs back then and Tugboat was billed as being...uh, a lot bigger.

I don't believe that's true. Hogan was always billed at about 300 lbs back then and Tugboat was billed as being...uh, a lot bigger.

I saw Tugboat one day when I was working out at Rick Poston's Gold's gym in Tampa. He was working out too; I guess WWE was in town. I also saw Lex Luger working out there one day. Anyway, Tugboat is a lot heavier than Hogan and was always billed as being heavier. He's a huge guy. I'd say somewhere around 6' 8" - 6' 10" and has a very big bone structure. He's the kind of guy who couldn't cut to 265 even if he was the best BJJ guy on the planet. Genetically he is just not made to compete at 265. He might be able to cut to 300 or so.

are you being serious? Mayweather and Pacquiao are the most popular fighters today. Oscar De La Hoya was the most popular until he got too old and started losing. Sugar Ray Leonard was a huge star before that.

Please read the entire fk'ing thread, or atleast the first 2 pages before you make a reply. I responded to your concerns here:

1) http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-2664647/showpost.php?p=91738651&postcount=12

2) http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-2664647/showpost.php?p=91738741&postcount=15

So you think all weight classes but heavyweight should be abolished in strength sports like power or Olympic lifting? "Who is the strongest lifter*"
*only heavyweights should apply, seeing as they can out lift the lighter classes easily enough...

Stupid IMO

If I have even the slightest interest in lifting, it would be who lifts most. If some Chinese chick is the strongest woman below 47,5 kilos I REALLY don't care. Even if she's stronger than I am.

I think there needs to be some mutual understanding here: If you dig the small guys and women for their skills and pace - fine by me.

But don't claim they're the better fighters, they're not. Being big and strong is a skill, an attribute in itself that is crucial. Bigfoot is a better fighter than Barao, because he'd destoy him in a fight.

That's also a purist way of looking at things that needs to be respected.

If I have even the slightest interest in lifting, it would be who lifts most. If some Chinese chick is the strongest woman below 47,5 kilos I REALLY don't care. Even if she's stronger than I am.

I think there needs to be some mutual understanding here: If you dig the small guys and women for their skills and pace - fine by me.

But don't claim they're the better fighters, they're not. Being big and strong is a skill, an attribute in itself that is crucial. Bigfoot is a better fighter than Barao, because he'd destoy him in a fight.

That's also a purist way of looking at things that needs to be respected.

Lol, since when?

Daniel Bryan seems to be the most popular wrestler in the WWE right now and he's a small guy.

Lol, since when?

Since the entire weight class system is predicated on the simple fact that smaller guys can't compete with bigger, stronger fighters.

From listening to a lot of people on here, you'd think being small is a plus in a real life fight.

Since the entire weight class system is predicated on the simple fact that smaller guys can't compete with bigger, stronger fighters.

From listening to a lot of people on here, you'd think being small is a plus in a real life fight.

That doesn't explain how being naturally bigger and stronger is a skill.

Please, explain yourself.

I saw Tugboat one day when I was working out at Rick Poston's Gold's gym in Tampa. He was working out too; I guess WWE was in town. I also saw Lex Luger working out there one day. Anyway, Tugboat is a lot heavier than Hogan and was always billed as being heavier. He's a huge guy. I'd say somewhere around 6' 8" - 6' 10" and has a very big bone structure. He's the kind of guy who couldn't cut to 265 even if he was the best BJJ guy on the planet. Genetically he is just not made to compete at 265. He might be able to cut to 300 or so.

Is is possible to even reasonably speculate on what someone as fat as Tugboat could have "cut down to" if he made an attempt to lose the extra weight over a period of time?

You've seen Tugboat up close and I haven't, so you have the better up-close info, but I have a hard time imagining that he couldn't have made 265 if he watched what he ate.

If it was between someone who looked like Chad Mendes and a bloated weightlifter, I'm siding with Mendes.

That doesn't explain how being naturally bigger and stronger is a skill.

Please, explain yourself.

I said skill/attribute.

You have other attributes like speed, durability, pace, fight IQ, heart, ability to pick up techniques that all fighters have at varying degrees.

If one guys is a grappling phenom, that's an attribute he has. Another has a great chin, another blistering hand speed, another a great mind for analytical thought.

All of these are attributes/talents/skills that make a fighter able to do stuff others can't. Life's not "fair" - even a really powerful mind and work ethic can be viewed as a skill, an ability.

And size is such an attribute, and one of the most important ones too. Are you a small guy? Tough shit, you'll never be the best fighter in the world, just as you won't be able to dominate in basketball.

If it was between someone who looked like Chad Mendes and a bloated weightlifter, I'm siding with Mendes.

Yeah, but the bloated weightlifter destroys the 135 lbs dork with no training, and Mark Hunt fucks up Chad Mendes.

I said skill/attribute.

You have other attributes like speed, durability, pace, fight IQ, heart, ability to pick up techniques that all fighters have at varying degrees.

If one guys is a grappling phenom, that's an attribute he has. Another has a great chin, another blistering hand speed, another a great mind for analytical thought.

All of these are attributes/talents/skills that make a fighter able to do stuff others can't. Life's not "fair" - even a really powerful mind and work ethic can be viewed as a skill, an ability.

And size is such an attribute, and one of the most important ones too. Are you a small guy? Tough shit, you'll never be the best fighter in the world, just as you won't be able to dominate in basketball.

Attribute and talent aren't synonymous with skill. You acquire skill by training and putting in work.

Yeah, but the bloated weightlifter destroys the 135 lbs dork with no training, and Mark Hunt fucks up Chad Mendes.
Mark Hunt as in a fat guy? Nah, I'd pick the Mendes looking bloke to go Black Gold on his ass.

I said skill/attribute.

Chris Paul at one point can be considered to be the best player in the NBA. Lionel Messi is one of the smaller players and is the greatest soccer player of all time.

Floyd Mayweather is considered to be the best boxer in the world right now. Why? Because people watch sports for skills and athleticism, not just athleticism. A gorilla is more athletic than any man, would you like to see a fight between a gorilla and a man?

Think about it. If there is a NBA player that is 11 feet tall and he scores every time by dunking alley oops and has barely any other skills, would you watch? Would you consider him to be the best player ever?

Attribute and talent aren't synonymous with skill. You acquire skill by training and putting in work.

There's only one metric in fighting: Can you beat the other guy? The "best" fighter is the one who can beat the other fellow up. So the ultimate fighters, the BEST fighters are the HWs and the few guys at LHW or even MW that could compete with them.

Are we OK so far - the BEST fighters are the big guys?

And if my version of being a purist is that I prefer the very best fighters, that's just as acceptable as another one liking the smaller classes for their higher pace and bigger skillsets.

That's the point I'm trying to make - size can't be ignored any more than any other talent a fighter has. If a guy has lighting reflexes and blistering hand speed. Or a chin of granite. Or a good head on his shoulders. Those are all important gifts that can't be aquired. Even the talent to absorb skill is something you're born with. Some are born prodigys, most aren't.

Now, if you want to make the point that "skillz" matter - what about boxing? All MMArtists look like absolute shit compared to a great boxer.

The point there is that in a "real fight" it don't pay to be pretty, right? Well, in a real fight size matters. All things being equal, the bigger guy beats the smaller one most of the time.

So being big is at least a talent, if you don't want to call it a skill.

I think its more like there is a link between the perception that big guys are better at fighting and disdain for lighter weights. It's not just pro-wrestling, though I do think the influx of Pro-wrestling fans has brought alot of idiots to the community (not hating on pro-wrestling, I'm a fan myself)

Back