Is there a link between pro wrestling and the disdain for lighter weight classes?

There's only one metric in fighting: Can you beat the other guy? The "best" fighter is the one who can beat the other fellow up. So the ultimate fighters, the BEST fighters are the HWs and the few guys at LHW or even MW that could compete with them.

Are we OK so far - the BEST fighters are the big guys?

And if my version of being a purist is that I prefer the very best fighters, that's just as acceptable as another one liking the smaller classes for their higher pace and bigger skillsets.

That's the point I'm trying to make - size can't be ignored any more than any other talent a fighter has. If a guy has lighting reflexes and blistering hand speed. Or a chin of granite. Or a good head on his shoulders. Those are all important gifts that can't be aquired. Even the talent to absorb skill is something you're born with. Some are born prodigys, most aren't.

Now, if you want to make the point that "skillz" matter - what about boxing? All MMArtists look like absolute shit compared to a great boxer.

The point there is that in a "real fight" it don't pay to be pretty, right? Well, in a real fight size matters. All things being equal, the bigger guy beats the smaller one most of the time.

So being big is at least a talent, if you don't want to call it a skill.

Being naturally big is neither a talent or skill. My reaction?

pgi67jrc.gif

Chris Paul at one point can be considered to be the best player in the NBA. Lionel Messi is one of the smaller players and is the greatest soccer player of all time.

Floyd Mayweather is considered to be the best boxer in the world right now. Why? Because people watch sports for skills and athleticism, not just athleticism. A gorilla is more athletic than any man, would you like to see a fight between a gorilla and a man?

Think about it. If there is a NBA player that is 11 feet tall and he scores every time by dunking alley oops and has barely any other skills, would you watch? Would you consider him to be the best player ever?

Basketball is the perfect example of small guys getting the shit end of the stick. I'm guessing a vast majority of the most talented, skilled players never make it to the NBA because they didn't grow up to be giants.

Don't you think that the NBA would have more talented players if there was a 6'2'' height restriction? Life's not fair and size matters.

I'm not saying that I can't like Faber or Cruz, but they're always only the best in a relative way, not in the absolute way that was kind of the genesis of the UFC.

My point is that there is some old school, purist way of looking at the sport that doesn't mean you HAVE TO be enthralled by WMMA and the smaller classes.

Probably has more to do with average size/weight/height of mma "fan"/viewer.

Big guys have a problem with small guys, for example. On the other hand, to be fair, some small guys might have a problem watching big guys due to their perceived poor cardio and speed.

The average size of Americans, which is the main audience of UFC, happens to be probably at least 6 feet, 185 pounds (I'm being conservative) so smaller weight classes struggle for appreciation in such demographics.

No, but there's a link to natural selection and women choosing their mates. As in, women don't want tiny beta man. The same applies to their appeal in combat sports.

WWE and general 'Hollywood' ideas of what is or is not possible.

No, but there's a link to natural selection and women choosing their mates. Of which, women don't want tiny beta man. The same applies to their appeal in combat sports.

Can you not see how unbelievably gay this is? I'm not saying there's something wrong with being gay, but people who spout this shit are usually homophobes as well as being obsessed with large muscular men.

Can you not see how unbelievably gay this is? I'm not saying there's something wrong with being gay, but people who spout this shit are usually homophobes as well as being obsessed with large muscular men.

There you have it folks, if you don't like the small weight classes, you're a 'homophobe'. You'll do great things for your argument.

Maybe they should bill the smaller fighters heavier.

I think pro wrestling is just about the silliest thing ever, and I've no use for anything under lightweight. It isn't an insecurity issue

This point is not entirely lost here. See post #21 :icon_lol:

some of the most popular wrestlers are fairly small guys, CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Rey Mysterio

But small by wrestling standards is probably a lot bigger than 125-155

I'm not a huge guy by any means. 5'11, 190lbs...

I like favour watching 155, 170 the most because I can match myself to them. Not skill wise obvi, but just imagining Gsp jab my face or hendricks throwing a bomb.

185 is next favourite. Guys bigger than my size but not too big.

205 and HW are just crazy huge guys to me.

I don't mind 145... But anything smaller, I tend to be meh.

Especially might mouse. Can't watch those lil guys intensely.

Just my 0.02

There's only one metric in fighting: Can you beat the other guy? The "best" fighter is the one who can beat the other fellow up. So the ultimate fighters, the BEST fighters are the HWs and the few guys at LHW or even MW that could compete with them.

Are we OK so far - the BEST fighters are the big guys?

And if my version of being a purist is that I prefer the very best fighters, that's just as acceptable as another one liking the smaller classes for their higher pace and bigger skillsets.

That's the point I'm trying to make - size can't be ignored any more than any other talent a fighter has. If a guy has lighting reflexes and blistering hand speed. Or a chin of granite. Or a good head on his shoulders. Those are all important gifts that can't be aquired. Even the talent to absorb skill is something you're born with. Some are born prodigys, most aren't.

Now, if you want to make the point that "skillz" matter - what about boxing? All MMArtists look like absolute shit compared to a great boxer.

The point there is that in a "real fight" it don't pay to be pretty, right? Well, in a real fight size matters. All things being equal, the bigger guy beats the smaller one most of the time.

So being big is at least a talent, if you don't want to call it a skill.

boxing has weight classes and noone argues that david haye could beat up floyd mayweather because noone cares.

americans are generally big and fat and are dumb enough to think they could beat up anyone under 150

i like watching the lighter weights fight, faster movements, more technical fighters

I see what u mean ts. Wrestlers weighing 180 pounds get laughed at. But I'm a boxing fan aswell aswell as a wrestling fan and I love the small guys because of that. Really got to appreciate 135 and 147 pound fights.

Back