Is there a link between pro wrestling and the disdain for lighter weight classes?

PRIDEoftheUFC**

Red Belt
Reaction score
A lot of MMA fans are also either pro wrestling fans or former pro wrestling fans. The lighter weight pro wrestlers were always underappreciated and even shunned by many pro wrestling fans. Do you think there is a connection here? Maybe because many MMA fans are or were pro wrestling fans, they find it hard to accept the lighter divisions? You don't see boxing fans doing this.

I was a pro wrestling fan back in the day but I like the lighter weight classes, though.

I guess it's possible but I don't like pro wrestling at all and generally prefer 155+ in MMA.

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

But at the same time

Because that guy in the gif is small and very popular.

I don't know if there is any link between the two.
However, if there is... I might have a little more sympathy for those who feel disgruntled for the lighter weight classes after them being subjected to this guy.

sc-hornswoggle.jpg

I don't watch pro wrestling, I also think that the "lighter" weight classes are the best in MMA.

They were never that popular in boxing either. That's why even today, all the lighter weight fighters are from Japan and Thailand. Same with kickboxing. Can't blame prowrestling here can you? Especially since Japanese loving pro-wrestling, and they're the few who embrace tiny fighters.

They were never that popular in boxing either. That's why even today, all the lighter weight fighters are from Japan and Thailand. Same with kickboxing. Can't blame prowrestling here can you? Especially since Japanese loving pro-wrestling, and they're the few who embrace tiny fighters.

I should have specified that when I said "lighter weight classes" while referring to boxing, I meant the boxing weight classes that would correspond with MMA weight classes. Junior Middleweight, Welterweight, Junior Welterweight, Lightweight, Super Bantamweight, etc. I didn't mean the Strawweights.

Pacquiao and Floyd both disagree.

It's the same deal with MMA, they just don't want to admit that those midgets would kick their asses beyond belief just off of sheer skill.

1355151211773.jpg

I don't think so, most of the pro-wrestling fans that would spend time posting on a forum would typically prefer the smaller wrestlers. I don't think it's pro-wrestling fans that hate on the small guys, it's just people who really do think they could beat up a guy like Faber just because they're bigger than him.

as a smaller guy, it is just more entertaining to me to watch the really big guys fight.

Wouldnt the smaller pro wrestlers nobody cares about typically be MW and LHW's in MMA?

Mighty Mouse is barely above Hornswoggle.

I should have specified that when I said "lighter weight classes" while referring to boxing, I meant the boxing weight classes that would correspond with MMA weight classes. Junior Middleweight, Welterweight, Junior Welterweight, Lightweight, Super Bantamweight, etc. I didn't mean the Strawweights.

Most Western boxing fans don't seem to care too much below WW (147lbs), and in MMA that corresponds to around FW (145lbs), which is where most MMA fans stop caring. So its roughly the same IMO.

Nope, you're average size adult male just doesn't wanna admit that a Mighty Mouse size guy could kick their ass. It's an insecurity thing imo.

Some people don't like to watch pee wee football.

Some people don't like to watch high school baseball.

Some people don't like to watch WNBA.

They are all an inferior version of a product we enjoy. It shouldn't require explanation why people may not enjoy watching the 6th, 7th, or 8th best divisions that the UFC has to offer. Even those fighters would get crushed by the bigger fighters in other organizations.

It shouldn't require explanation why people may not enjoy watching the 6th, 7th, or 8th best divisions that the UFC has to offer.

That would be Welterweight, Light Heavyweight, and Heavyweight respectively.

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif

But at the same time

Because that guy in the gif is small and very popular.

Did that guy steal that schtick from Diego? Or is that perhaps just coincidence?

Honestly curious cause I've never seen that GIF before lol.

Back