Is there a context where PEDs should be allowed?

LET THEM FIGHT

let-them-fight-3mta3.gif
Shrew vs Racoon? One is enraged, the other mellow. lol

Yeah the Hippopotamus/Oppossum/Lemur is hysterical, the Racoon is WTF? Sup bro

Last edited:
Imagine actually sitting here and pretending like it's not okay to use them to heal and that you should instead have to suffer for potentially the rest of your life because of this injury instead of just healing the damn thing like you can nowadays.

None of these people pretending this is their stance would ever actually submit themselves to this same scenario. If they get similarly injured they'll be the first ones lining up to take whatever they can to heal.

“This rat spoke to Weidman who’d the same horrific injury and is having severe complications still,” McGregor wrote. “Is bothered that I was able to heal/return to a normal way of life. He, like many other rats in my game, would be happier if I wasn’t able to play with my children the same again.

“The audacity of this loser! Anthony Smith, you’re a loser,” he continued. “The percentage of the bones joining back after a break like this is so low. You think I give a f— about anything else. I am the most tested fighter all time in combat sport. I give everything to this game. You - Nothing! I thought you broke your leg yourself in your last fight lol you little dope. You embarrassment of a man! Keep my name out of your fucking mouth. P—k.

Do whatever you can to heal. Health > everything else. Come back when you can and are clean. That's what the tests are for.

Last edited:
The problem is that Conor abused the fuck out of them. I mean look at him.

Also he's been healed for quite a while. He was "supposed" to enter the testing pool months ago.

At least Anderson looked like the same person.

If there was some regiment, by a doctor, for X amount of time. And if wasn't a secret. Then I think it'd be ok

I'm not quite sure really how much is abuse or use. His physique is easily achieved and for an elite level athlete to go from something highly catabolic like MMA training to recreational training and lifting big gains are expected.

Imagine actually sitting here and pretending like it's not okay to use them to heal and that you should instead have to suffer for potentially the rest of your life because of this injury instead of just healing the damn thing like you can nowadays.

None of these people pretending this is their stance would ever actually submit themselves to this same scenario. If they get similarly injured they'll be the first ones lining up to take whatever they can to heal.

“This rat spoke to Weidman who’d the same horrific injury and is having severe complications still,” McGregor wrote. “Is bothered that I was able to heal/return to a normal way of life. He, like many other rats in my game, would be happier if I wasn’t able to play with my children the same again.

“The audacity of this loser! Anthony Smith, you’re a loser,” he continued. “The percentage of the bones joining back after a break like this is so low. You think I give a f— about anything else. I am the most tested fighter all time in combat sport. I give everything to this game. You - Nothing! I thought you broke your leg yourself in your last fight lol you little dope. You embarrassment of a man! Keep my name out of your fucking mouth. P—k.

Do whatever you can to heal. Health > everything else. Come back when you can and are clean. That's what the tests are for.
scarecrow-with-book.jpg

I used to care about PEDs, but then realized it wasn't just like that 1 person in class that snuck the answers in for the test, but the path for many to the top. Guys like Conor can be "clean" because they've never failed a drug test, and you'll have people here defend it and through history he'll be "a clean fighter".

I feel like there is more complexity to PEDs rather than looking up their wikipedia and reading if they ever were suspended by USADA/whoever. If you bring up PEDs outside that, it's like it never existed. Personally I think fighters today with long layoffs between fights are cycling on something and it's very strange how today they look better when they return, where before there used to be "ring rust".

Most of us have fun mocking Conor allegedly using PEDs after breaking his leg. But what if he did, shouldn't that be allowed?

Conor is just an example. First scenario pertains to bone breaks. Shouldn't medically approved medications - even if they are also performance enhancing - be allowed to facilitate bone healing? The same question applies to muscle tears and a whole bunch of other injuries that take time to heal. Shouldn't substances that could be classified as PEDs be allowed to speed up recovery?

My idea here is NOT to permit PEDs for general use. But as a layman it seems logical that a certain time window could be allotted for the fighters where they could take what they need, and a subsequent window where they would have to chill on the shelf before returning to the cage.

It should be a transparent standard and process, fairly applied to everybody. Wouldn't this help increase fighter longevity as well as reducing down time because of injuries?

Is this possibly a non-problem? Was Jiri for example allowed to use "PEDs" for his shoulder injury?
No

The idea that using PEDs to pack on muscle mass is to 'recover faster' from a broken bone is fucking hilarious.

If someone is having an MS attack or other medical issue where steroids or such things are needed.

Maybe guys who have wrecked their bodies fighting should just stay out of the cage. How did Anderson’s post break rehab career look?

The idea that using PEDs to pack on muscle mass is to 'recover faster' from a broken bone is fucking hilarious.
There is research done on this topic. Literature is mixed about PEDs directly promoting fracture healing. There is a period where the body goes through atrophy right after a serious injury. Anabolic steroids help improve outcomes by maintaining lean body mass. You get sent to a physical therapy office after an operation. You are pretty much trying to regain function before the injury and PEDs will help with that.

Maybe guys who have wrecked their bodies fighting should just stay out of the cage. How did Anderson’s post break rehab career look?
Interesting. I imagine a lot depends on the nature of the injury or injuries. I wonder if there are any stats about this sort of thing?

Maybe for recovery but lives are on the line during a competition. I don't know what the proper solution is.

UFC themselves said in private conversation that basically fighters should be able to juice on a case-by-case basis like when they are severely injured like Conor. And honestly, that totally makes sense to me.

Conor was apparently told that he may not ever be able to walk again unless they put him on whatever drugs they ended up doing. He ended up recovering in record time. Without science and medicine, that would 100% be a career ending injury and life altering. He'd probably walk with a limp or be in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Why not take advantage of drugs and science? That's what UFC is arguing. Conor should have been able to get use every PED available to get healthy and then once he's healed, he gets off, gets drug tested and can fight. USADA on the other hand says that fighters must stay in the drug testing program and not take anything banned even if they are injured. If you leave the pool, you have to be in 6 months before you can fight again.

While I think UFC cares more about money and making fights than a clean sport, I do think they have a point here and USADA should have an exemption for fighters that are injured.

UFC themselves said in private conversation that basically fighters should be able to juice on a case-by-case basis like when they are severely injured like Conor. And honestly, that totally makes sense to me.

Conor was apparently told that he may not ever be able to walk again unless they put him on whatever drugs they ended up doing. He ended up recovering in record time. Without science and medicine, that would 100% be a career ending injury and life altering. He'd probably walk with a limp or be in a wheelchair the rest of his life.

Why not take advantage of drugs and science? That's what UFC is arguing. Conor should have been able to get use every PED available to get healthy and then once he's healed, he gets off, gets drug tested and can fight. USADA on the other hand says that fighters must stay in the drug testing program and not take anything banned even if they are injured. If you leave the pool, you have to be in 6 months before you can fight again.

While I think UFC cares more about money and making fights than a clean sport, I do think they have a point here and USADA should have an exemption for fighters that are injured.

Everybody pretends to want a Chris Weidman until Chris Weidman actually shows up in the Octagon again and rebreaks his leg in a loss to Tavares of all people. Then they say he shouldn't have fought again because he clearly wasn't properly healed and had been gone too long trying to do so naturally that he was too passed it now.

Make up your damn minds.

It's silly and childish. Nobody actually believes the bullshit they're saying. Go heal as best as you can given today's modern medicine, and then come back once you meet the drug testing standards and are testing negative. Like everybody else who's allowed to compete so long as they're testing negative.

It's not that hard.

Back