Is there a context where PEDs should be allowed?

wwkirk

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Most of us have fun mocking Conor allegedly using PEDs after breaking his leg. But what if he did, shouldn't that be allowed?

Conor is just an example. First scenario pertains to bone breaks. Shouldn't medically approved medications - even if they are also performance enhancing - be allowed to facilitate bone healing? The same question applies to muscle tears and a whole bunch of other injuries that take time to heal. Shouldn't substances that could be classified as PEDs be allowed to speed up recovery?

My idea here is NOT to permit PEDs for general use. But as a layman it seems logical that a certain time window could be allotted for the fighters where they could take what they need, and a subsequent window where they would have to chill on the shelf before returning to the cage.

It should be a transparent standard and process, fairly applied to everybody. Wouldn't this help increase fighter longevity as well as reducing down time because of injuries?

Is this possibly a non-problem? Was Jiri for example allowed to use "PEDs" for his shoulder injury?

The problem is that Conor abused the fuck out of them. I mean look at him.

Also he's been healed for quite a while. He was "supposed" to enter the testing pool months ago.

At least Anderson looked like the same person.

If there was some regiment, by a doctor, for X amount of time. And if wasn't a secret. Then I think it'd be ok

I would agree with the premise. But then again, that would probably allow for some shady area between using and getting clean again and all that. Fighters in the USA could probably be tested at any time, but other countries?
Not like some don’t use anyway, but any form of legal period vs non legal period could make the whole thing questionable.

Most of us have fun mocking Conor allegedly using PEDs after breaking his leg. But what if he did, shouldn't that be allowed?

Conor is just an example. First scenario pertains to bone breaks. Shouldn't medically approved medications - even if they are also performance enhancing - be allowed to facilitate bone healing? The same question applies to muscle tears and a whole bunch of other injuries that take time to heal. Shouldn't substances that could be classified as PEDs be allowed to speed up recovery?

My idea here is NOT to permit PEDs for general use. But as a layman it seems logical that a certain time window could be allotted for the fighters where they could take what they need, and a subsequent window where they would have to chill on the shelf before returning to the cage.

It should be a transparent standard and process, fairly applied to everybody. Wouldn't this help increase fighter longevity as well as reducing down time because of injuries?

Is this possibly a non-problem? Was Jiri for example allowed to use "PEDs" for his shoulder injury?
The context that it should be allowed is all the time. Pride was more fun because of the rampant PED usage leading to epic fights and KOs

G4jzsC.gif

But as a layman it seems logical that a certain time window could be allotted for the fighters where they could take what they need, and a subsequent window where they would have to chill on the shelf before returning to the cage.

Hmm... I would say that this is exactly what the old USADA/UFC "6 months in pool before getting a fight" should mean. Exit the pool to heal (or just roid) yourself with all substances known to science, chill on shelf for 6 months with clean tests afterwards.

There should be 0 moralists being moral about what you do when you are not in the testing pool, right?

In general, I'm against it all.
Having said that, if there was a competition where you HAD to use them (and perhaps choose from a list that the competition allows), then I might be ok with it.
I mean, if everyone is an adult and they agree to use it and fight against other people using the exact same thing...sure, who am I to tell them no.
But, that should be its own organization, competition, league, or whatever you want to call it.

There should be an exception for rehabbing injuries. The problem is, any exception you make will be abused.

There used to be a theraputic use exemption (TUE) for low testosterone and that is a condition that some aging fighters get, at least in part due to fighting. Unfortunately it became a wide open doorway that anyone could pass through. 24 year old guys suddenly had low T like they were middle aged, and 36 year olds were suddenly in better shape than when they were 26. It got ridiculous.

Illegal things should be illegal. Point blank.

There is a very small window of legit performance enhancers that is actually not a crime of some sort to use without prescription. And medical intervention is one thing, but that's not where anyone suspects all of his substance usage comes from.

To me, that's a pretty clear line in the sand, idealistically speaking. It's just a problem of trying to functionally police what people put into their bodies (see, the entire drug trade).

A doctor should help him with recovery, AND that's why USADA has specific medical exemptions and allowances. It's why you can be outside of testing for a period of time. That stuff falls under that umbrella. You just shouldn't be fighting, nor having a camp with it in your system, and that's the exemption he wasn't going to get.

In fighting, everyone is going to want an edge. I know one way or another people are always going to cheat.

I stopped caring about PED's a long time ago.

Why?

Cuz fighting in itself should be frowned upon anyway.

We're literally watching people do what they shouldn't be doing: Fighting.

Who the fuck cares if they're using PED's when every single sane person on earth aggrees that "fighting" is bad?

For rehabbing injuries and under a doctor's supervision. Beyond that, you're using them to gain a competitive edge which amounts to cheating.

Saying no to everything 99% of the time is exponentially easier than managing when it should be ok, how much is ok, etc, etc. The one time it was attempted (State AC TUE's) it was a complete debacle. But even if it were managed better it would be a nightmare.

So even though saying no 99% of the time is exponentially easier to manage and maintain, it's already a fucking nightmare. It's fraught with landmines. Everyone is upset. Now just imagine everything being vastly more complex than it is today.

So in a perfect world? Yes indeed, limited PEDs for some situations would make the sport better and safer. And Israel and Palestine and Ukraine and Russia would get along.

~~~

EDIT: I'm going to ask 1 question, just to prove my point. As fighters age and their T count goes down slightly, should a 35 year old fighter be able to raise it to the level of a 20 year old?
  • Pros: it's natural to go down, they should be able to compete at a "level playing field", T-wise.
  • Cons: they have experience, which more than makes up for any natural decline in T. If their T declined much it's (likely) because of prior PED abuse and thet shouldn't be rewarded. What is "natural"? Who decided that? What number? We know what a "mean average" is, but what about the range within the bell curve?

See? Just that one simple question is impossible to get a good answer on. And we cannot even agree on the problem - or if it even is a problem - let alone the solution (TRT TUE) and how to manage the solution (daily testing to make sure they never go above a defined number?) Now imagine that same debate over every type of injury and/or recovery, and what fighters, camps and managers will come up with to circumnavigate the good faith effort to allow PEDs only sometimes.

Last edited:
I think it was ok to use steroids in Pride for example because they were legal in Pride. If you’re taking something that’s been declared illegal, you’re cheating.

I think it's legal to use PEDs to heal a leg injury a la Conroy McGillicutty though

Back