Is the UK actually looking to restrict knives?

So shit like that doesn't happen in America.

Cutting or just stabbing knifes?

Stabbing I understand but a pencil is just as good, cutting knifes will get a Google.

Cutting knives. Probably not sharp enough to easily cut paper. But he was cutting tomatoes without blowing them out or squishing them. Probably not very strong for long term use, but it would get the job done

The reason behind the 2nd amendment, tyranny.

Strong civil society and democratic institutions prevent tyranny - not the second amendment. If you would like proof, see every other liberal democracy on planet earth besides the US, non of whom have the 2nd amendment.

Look at the panoply of war being taken of the streets of England:

That has to be a joke?

Holy crap, if these idiotic English police saw all the equipment I have for my hobby shop, they would be frothing. What are they going to do to all the Hobbyists in the UK who have all sorts of sharp implements and machinery to make sharp implements.

Not just files and metal, you'd also have to ban plastic, wood and even chocolate, candy and pasta.

And Clorox and toilet cleaner and scissors and ban all hobbies that would need the use of sharp tools, which is dam near all hobbies.

Strong civil society and democratic institutions prevent tyranny - not the second amendment. If you would like proof, see every other liberal democracy on planet earth besides the US, non of whom have the 2nd amendment.

The Weimar Republic was a liberal democracy.

The Second Amendment is certainly not the only check on tyranny, and I'm open to the idea that it isn't even the strongest. But there's no doubt that the Second Amendment as currently interpreted is a check on potential tyranny in the US, whether from the left or from the right.

That has to be a joke?

Holy crap, if these idiotic English police saw all the equipment I have for my hobby shop, they would be frothing. What are they going to do to all the Hobbyists in the UK who have all sorts of sharp implements and machinery to make sharp implements.

There's an obvious slippery slope when it comes to policing the tools used to commit violent crimes rather than violent criminals. Everything pictured in that tweet can be used to seriously injure another human being, right?

The UK has been dominated. Read the text in the corner too.

big_brother_f.jpg

Tyranny is so creepy.

Oh like places like Germany amirite. The UK perhaps, I mean it's not like them being tyrannical created America. Governments since the dawn of Governments has been abusing it's subjects. Or are you saying that because there has been a period (less than 100 years) without a large crisis that brings in a new authoritarian dictator type, Hitler, Mussolini, etc that we are past tyranny because "strong civil society and democratic institutions". Hell even Americans allowed people to be rounded up in WW2.

I think people should probably wait a couple hundred years to see how well strong civil society and democratic institutions actually prevent a police state and tyranny.

my uncle is a carpenter, he would go out of business with all his dangerous weapons like table saws and air powered nail guns. He even has a hammer.

Jesus I don't know any word to describe this but pathetic. I honestly thought this was a joke.

Start a company producing chainmail tracksuits for the UK = profit.

Next to follow:

Box cutters / utility blades
X-Acto scalpels
Drywall saw / jib knife
MAP Torch & blow torch ( sorry DIYers & hobbyists, but now this item is only available to licensed plumbers)

Oh like places like Germany amirite. The UK perhaps, I mean it's not like them being tyrannical created America. Governments since the dawn of Governments has been abusing it's subjects. Or are you saying that because there has been a period (less than 100 years) without a large crisis that brings in a new authoritarian dictator type, Hitler, Mussolini, etc that we are past tyranny because "strong civil society and democratic institutions". Hell even Americans allowed people to be rounded up in WW2.

I think people should probably wait a couple hundred years to see how well strong civil society and democratic institutions actually prevent a police state and tyranny.

Yes germany is a liberal democracy without the 2nd amendment. There are many others.

Like you've said, the amendment didn't stop your own people being rounded up and nobody stood up for them with their guns.

Seems like a protection that works in theory but never really tested. The original point I quoted suggested that without the ability to bear arms, tyranny is sure to follow.. doesn't seem to fit with the evidence.

my uncle is a carpenter, he would go out of business with all his dangerous weapons like table saws and air powered nail guns. He even has a hammer.

None of those items are illegal to own.

The Weimar Republic was a liberal democracy.

The Second Amendment is certainly not the only check on tyranny, and I'm open to the idea that it isn't even the strongest. But there's no doubt that the Second Amendment as currently interpreted is a check on potential tyranny in the US, whether from the left or from the right.

It's useless against the military, or a complicit population.

Many posters have been suggesting that the ability to own guns would somehow mitigate the rise of stabbings in london... I'm glad nobody is still suggesting that anymore... Because its really fucking dumb.

It's useless against the military, or a complicit population.

Many posters have been suggesting that the ability to own guns would somehow mitigate the rise of stabbings in london... I'm glad nobody is still suggesting that anymore... Because its really fucking dumb.
Having guns has in some places in the US correlated to a substantial drop in crime. In other, like say for Chicago, the opposite has occurred. The real issue imo is not that guns would or would not mitigate stabbings as a whole in London, it's that it would help any particular individual protect themselves against stabbing.

And of course it isn't "fucking dumb" to think that an individual with a gun is better protected from being attacked by a knife-wielding assailant than someone who is unarmed. That's why people who are considered important, whether wealthy folk or celebrities or politicians have armed bodyguards.

What has happened in the UK is that the individual has been stripped of the right to defend themselves from attack. From where I sit, that's one of the most basic human rights, and the attempt by the UK government to suppress it is oppressive.

And finally, being armed is not useless against the military. Nor is it useless against the police. The US military is powerful, but is not a numerically large force compared to historical army sizes. One need not be able to crack open an Abrams to be a thorn in the side of a military force. Small arms won't win many battles, but they certainly change the strategic equation when it comes to garrisoning cities and occupying large swathes of the countryside.

Yes germany is a liberal democracy without the 2nd amendment. There are many others.

The original point I quoted suggested that without the ability to bear arms, tyranny is sure to follow.. doesn't seem to fit with the evidence.

{<doc}

Missed my point with Germany, go back to less than a century ago...

Fit what evidence? Over what time period? 100+ million citizens in the last 100 years or so by their government. All of history showing that governments abuse citizens.

Back