Is striking secondary to grappling?

On a physical sense maybe, but mentally I would say no. But at the end of the day it depends on the person themself.

In the ammy circuit, alot of times when pure bred grapplers transition over to MMA, the mental aspect of striking destroys them. Getting shut down big time against a fairly decent striker with TDD, and its bad. Some actually lose by sub being out their element.
I've seen first hand guys shut down and just think about surviving and not winning after getting cracked by stiff jab in the opening. It screws with you mentally: this fighter's fastest and "weakest" strike just did that much damage, imagine if he/she throw's power shots.

Yeah I think some of the guys are miss interpreting what I wrote. Physical toll on your body, there is no arguing, grappling wears your body down. I'm not saying striking isn't tough, or that its not hard on the body... especially sparring and actual bouts, but the day to day training in Boxing/MT/Karate is very low impact on the body in comparison to your typical jiujitsu gym, especially when its noob vs noob.

I think you're overlooking the fact as to why you can spar/roll in grappling every day versus sparring every day...even only going at 50% sparring 3-5x a week, the damage accumulates and adds up. This is in reference to Muay Thai...maybe boxing is different, but I doubt it. Never trained BJJ but from what I've read and talking to people I know that do it, the average intensity during rolling is much higher than striking sparring because you can physically do it more frequently.
The objective is a bit different also.
Striking is: Inflict brain damage and so much pain that this guy is forced to quit on his own will or by an external candidate, whereas BJJ is: put this person in a bad spot, and force them to give up.

Yeah I think some of the guys are miss interpreting what I wrote. Physical toll on your body, there is no arguing, grappling wears your body down. I'm not saying striking isn't tough, or that its not hard on the body... especially sparring and actual bouts, but the day to day training in Boxing/MT/Karate is very low impact on the body in comparison to your typical jiujitsu gym, especially when its noob vs noob.

True and it gets even rougher on your body when you're wrestling instead of BJJ.

I agree with @Paradigm on why in striking you spar less often than wrestling/bjj. It's not because we don't want to, it's because we can't. Either you have to spar very lightly like the Thais, and fight often, either you have a rule set that allows for more sparing like TKD or KK, either you have less often sparring like most of the gyms with other training methods, either you go to gym wars like some KB with a lot of injuries, glass shins after a few years, and constant concussions...

Also, another detail, when you spar with more than 50%, you don't have the luxury to be "lazy", and just let your opponent try his techniques, or just play defensively from your back, and just give up/tap out anytime he gets the better of you...With striking, if you just play defense, or you don't match the intensity of your opponent you will get hit/hurt...

I don't say there are not injuries in wrestling/bjj, or intense sparring etc... But it's not the same when the goal is to hold down/submit someone, and when it's to hurt him so much that he can't continue...

Since the context of this thread was origionally self defence, I'd just like to throw in that Combat Sambo is extremley underrated. Its matwork is certianly not as advanced as BJJ,which is still the most effective single style, but it has both striking and a huge variety of takedowns that includes both no gi and gi. Theres almost always one weapon available in a street fight and thats clothes, the fact that Combat Sambo is one of the only martial arts that both teaches you how to use your opponents clothes to both strike and grapple is truly noteworthy.

At the end of the day it comes down to whether people see themselves having success at a given venture.

BJJ and MMA used to be joined at the hip; it was often implicitly understood that if you were training for bjj, you were also training for mma, and fighting in the cage, even if only once, was considered a rite of passage.

This is no longer the case; most of the best jiujitsu players in the world right now have little to no interest in MMA, and the most accredited ones in the game right now, such as Roger, Maia, or Jacare, were in their grappling primes 10 or more years ago.

MMA certainly pays more than touring the ibjjf circuit (something you often have to pay them for the privilege), yet as time went on people in bjj became less and less interested in MMA despite their entwined genesis in the US, and the reason is, simply, because they stopped seeing themselves having as much success in the cage.

It's the same dynamic with all combat sports. There are plenty of factors at play, be it money, or status, or availability, but it always ultimately comes down to whether or not you think you can actually hack it; wrestlers flock to MMA, more than any other combat sport practitioners, because they look at the fights, imagine themselves in the cage there, and see themselves having success.

Men lie with their tongues and tell the truth with their feet.

The relative distribution of backgrounds in the game right now more or less accurately reflects the relative importance those areas emphasized by those backgrounds have on mixed martial arts success.

@rmongler I kind of agree, but when you say: "wrestlers flock to MMA" it's probably true for the US organizations. Wrestling is a good base for MMA, but don't forget there is a huge pool starting from very young, at schools... You don't see Pee Wee MT, KB, BJJ in schools there...

So as you say, there lots of factor, but for me, availability of a huge amount of wrestlers, with a good base from early years, is a better explanation for them "flocking" UFC and Bellator...

i considered specifying 'folkstyle wrestling', but then i thought about all the guys from eastern europe and the caucuses region kickin it too, and then all the guys in japanese mma from puroresu or judo backgrounds as well, so i kept it general.

Last edited:
Back