Is Sean Sherk the Gatekeeper of GOATs?

Sherk is ridiculously underrated. He was a ufc champion but also pissed hot. Franca did as well so I guess it’s a wash. He’s beyond gatekeeper status, imo.

maxresdefault.jpg

Former champ cannot be GOAT Gatekeeper even if he became a gatekeeper later. GOAT gatekeeper would be someone who came close, got a title shot and lost and could never get to a shot again but knocked off a ton of up and comers who were trying to use him as a stepping stone to their own title shot.

That would be the attributes of a GOAT Gatekeeper IMO.

Maybe someone like Lyoto after his Jones loss. Particularly if he stayed at LHW.

135? He spent the majority of his career at 170.

Because at the time, that was the smallest weight class that was available. Today, he would at least be 145 if not less. Florian started at 185 and ended at 145. Is normal.

Because at the time, that was the smallest weight class that was available. Today, he would at least be 145 if not less. Florian started at 185 and ended at 145. Is normal.
The only reason he even went to 155 was for a title shot. Shedding another 20Lbs on top of that? That's a lot of weight for a dude who's 5'5"

So if shark was gatekeeper, I guess all former Champs are ultimate gatekeepers of everyone while holding the belt.

The only reason he even went to 155 was for a title shot. Shedding another 20Lbs on top of that? That's a lot of weight for a dude who's 5'5"

Being 5’-5” is all the more reason to drop. The guy had plenty of muscle to spare. It would’ve been a gravy cut. He would make it easy and still dwarf anyone else in the weight class on a muscular level. I’m still shocked at the cardio he had for that build. Unreal

He was a tough dude that dug baby food. What’s not to love?

And he was a ufc champ. Champs aren’t gatekeepers.

Jacare is a gatekeeper. Sherk was not.

Yeah Sean is another great who only lost to the best of bigger guys also he's another guy who dogged by ufc HOF his title reign also lasted longer then Serra and Forrest and obviously a never was like Faber.

Lol, he popped for roids pre-usada so imagine how juiced he was

I stand by my statement. We have all seen his training regimen and his work ethic. He's always handle his business like a professional, and he hasn't done much wrong in regards to legal matters. If popping for peds is the worst this guy has done, I can forgive that. The good far out weighs the bad.

Sherk is ridiculously underrated. He was a ufc champion but also pissed hot. Franca did as well so I guess it’s a wash. He’s beyond gatekeeper status, imo.
They used the same cup that Franca pissed uber hot for to collect his sample.
Probably why there were trace amounts of it in his piss.
CSAC did some hand waiving after reducing his suspension to essentially the time that had passed, and didn't allow him to appeal the decision.
Dana was mad at CSAC and didn't go back there for a long time afterwards.

Being 5’-5” is all the more reason to drop. The guy had plenty of muscle to spare. It would’ve been a gravy cut. He would make it easy and still dwarf anyone else in the weight class on a muscular level. I’m still shocked at the cardio he had for that build. Unreal
If Gleison Tibau can make 155, Sherk could have made 145 easy.
Still would have lost to Edgar there though.

Sherk was a UFC champion.

Pretty sure a champion can be arguably exempt from gatekeeper status.

In terms of gatekeeper goats in the UFC I'd elect Uriah Faber
Would you count Vitor as a champ? (fluke stoppage of Couture, and "tournament champion")

If Gleison Tibau can make 155, Sherk could have made 145 easy.
Still would have lost to Edgar there though.

I agree. Sherk had fairly fast hands for 155. Wasn’t his bread and butter but they were sufficient. That cut would’ve been fairly easy. I wouldn’t rule out 135 either if he was willing to revamp his training away from the ridiculous power lifting he did. With USADA in place, he would damn near would have to drop to at least 145.

THE STEROID SHARK. His physique made me question whether he was a circus freak or legit =(

Back