Is Sean Sherk the Gatekeeper of GOATs?

Sherk would have been a 135 or 145 in today's UFC

He has always been under valued. His resume is very impressive and he was a consummate professional.

Would have been a good at 145 in his prime rather than 155

I think that's fair to say. He only lost to the absolute best. Two were title fights, and two were to top contenders who won the belt a year later. Sherk was one of my favorite fighters.

tumblr_nfct9a075x1u2ragso1_500.gif

Sherk was a UFC champion.

Pretty sure a champion can be arguably exempt from gatekeeper status.

In terms of gatekeeper goats in the UFC I'd elect Uriah Faber

Good call. He was a great fighter and only lost to the best of the best.

Faber and Edgar have somewhat similar resumes, but they also have some losses to non-greats, as well.

Sherk was Great. He was like a faster and smaller version of Matt Hughes.

Last edited:
He was good but there was a big gap between him and the elite. GSP and BJ both beat him up pretty bad.

Maybe if he had been lighter it would have been better for him. He was too short for 155 and he looked like he had alligator arms. Trying to strike with Bj was impossible for him

The Hero of Time was clean as a whistle. Sherk v. Lobov for battle of the T-rex arms might sell btw.

Edit: I like Shark, lol. Been a minute since people were screaming like women on here about the Penn stoppage so gotta laugh a bit.

Last edited:
He was good but there was a big gap between him and the elite. GSP and BJ both beat him up pretty bad.

Maybe if he had been lighter it would have been better for him. He was too short for 155 and he looked like he had alligator arms. Trying to strike with Bj was impossible for him

If you watch the behind the scenes on the UFC 56 DVD, sherk was complaining about gsp being greased up after their fight. Said during the grappling exchanges he couldn't get ahold of him at all lol

The guy was legit. Nothing wrong with losing to that list. I agree that he would have to lose some muscle and cut down to contend in 2018 UFC.

If you watch the behind the scenes on the UFC 56 DVD, sherk was complaining about gsp being greased up after their fight. Said during the grappling exchanges he couldn't get ahold of him at all lol

I think I read something about people soaking their skin in lotion the night before the fight and then when they start sweating it makes them all slick during the fight. I think that I actually read that on here years ago.

Back