Is Ray Cooper III anything more than a brawler - Melvin Moehoef comparision

An "awesome" format where fighters win round 1, then do absolutely nothing in round 2, and advance anyways on a draw?
False. If you do nothing, you can get finished and eliminated. Also, you can lose the 2nd by 10-8 and then you get eliminated too. You have to, at least, win the 1st and surviving the 2nd without being dominated. Not that simple. Dan Spohn won 1st and lost 2nd by 10-8 trying to coast it, for example.
An "awesome" format where high stakes fights last all of 2 rounds?
So what? You just have to focus on the 1st, make fights more exciting from the beginning.
An "awesome" format where, after winning the first fight of the regular season, the second one doesn't matter at all?
It does. If you win the first fight (by decision - 3 points) and doesn't win the second, there's a chance you get eliminated, depends of the other guys, other match ups. Halsey won a fight and still didn't went to the play offs.
An "awesome" format which wastes older, big name fighters in meangless, random fights?
No fight is meaningless in PFL's tournament.
An "awesome" format where knocked out fighters have to compete 1 month later, which is incredibly dangerous?
That's up to the commission to overview and to sanction or not, after conducting serious tests. Not up to you or to the promotion to analyze that poorly.

False. If you do nothing, you can get finished and eliminated. Also, you can lose the 2nd by 10-8 and then you get eliminated too. You have to, at least, win the 1st and surviving the 2nd without being dominated. Not that simple. Dan Spohn won 1st and lost 2nd by 10-8 trying to coast it, for example.

Oh, stop. There have been multiple examples of a fighter winning round 1, taking round 2 off, then advancing. Even fans of the PFL admit this is a problem and has to be changed.

You're not going to convince anyone by shamelessly playing defense lawyer for the PFL.

executionermma said:
So what? You just have to focus on the 1st, make fights more exciting from the beginning.

By this logic, why not make fights last 1 single round while you're at it? That would make fighters focus EVEN MORE on the first round and be even more exciting! We're used to 3 round fights and comebacks and finishes in the third. 2 rounds feels less than that because it is.

exectuionermma said:
That's up to the commission to overview and to sanction or not, after conducting serious tests. Not up to you or to the promotion to analyze that poorly.

Yet another case where you're better off admitting "yup, that should be changed" instead of trying to defend the indefensible as a shameless lawyer for the PFL.

The conventional wisdom is to not have another professional fight until 6 months after a knockout loss. Some fighters who are more reckless with their health wait until only 3-4 months later.

Even athletic commissions will impose a minimum of 45 days off from all contact due to head trauma.

In the PFL, however, they fight slightly over 1 month later. (Jake Shields, anyone?) That is certainly far too soon.

You're not going to convince anyone by shamelessly playing defense lawyer for the PFL.
I'm not trying to convince anyone, about anything. I'm correcting you about the stuff you wrongly stated about PFL.

You can very well win the first round and still lose the fight, it fucking happened, and not only once.
Besides that, it's up to the fighters competing to use the tournament system in their favor, as part of their strategy in my opinion.

Most people don't like it, but it's just because there may be a better way of deciding a "winner" (3 rounds of 3 minutes, for example).

I'm not trying to convince anyone, about anything. I'm correcting you about the stuff you wrongly stated about PFL.

You're observably lying to defend the PFL.

executionermma said:
You can very well win the first round and still lose the fight, it fucking happened, and not only once.

I never claimed otherwise. Rather, I wrote that fighters winning round 1 will often take round 2 off and still advance, which has happened A LOT this season, to the point where even diehard PFL fans think they need a rule change.

Again, lying about this isn't going to win any new fans for the PFL.

exectuionermma said:
Besides that, it's up to the fighters competing to use the tournament system in their favor, as part of their strategy in my opinion.

Oh, I see. Fuck the fans and what makes an exciting fight with a definitive winner, right?

I also noticed you didn't even try to defend your nonsense about fighters competing slightly over a month after suffering a brutal knockout loss. That's absolutely unconscionable on the part of the PFL, and I would never support them for that reason alone. Even regional organizations don't treat their fighters as such worthless hunks of meat.

You're observably lying to defend the PFL.
How so? Where i lied? lol
I never claimed otherwise. Rather, I wrote that fighters winning round 1 will often take round 2 off and still advance, which has happened A LOT this season, to the point where even diehard PFL fans think they need a rule change.
Often is a keyword that you didn't used before:
An "awesome" format where fighters win round 1, then do absolutely nothing in round 2, and advance anyways on a draw?
And to be fair, you're wrong about that too. Taking a round off and coasting are 2 different things. There were many guys just coasting R2, but taking it off? Giving it away? Not many, it's too dangerous.
Oh, I see. Fuck the fans and what makes an exciting fight with a definitive winner, right?
No, but that's up to the fighter that lost R1 to make R2 exciting by taking more risks, like O'Connell did, for example. Lost R1? Go there all-win, kill or be killed mentality.
I also noticed you didn't even try to defend your nonsense about fighters competing slightly over a month after suffering a brutal knockout loss. That's absolutely unconscionable on the part of the PFL, and I would never support them for that reason alone. Even regional organizations don't treat their fighters as such worthless hunks of meat.
That's something that the state commissions can handle, it's their job to regulate this. To make sure fighters are being taken care of and are medically cleared to fight. I'm not debating this anymore.

PFL is an absolute joke of an organization with a hundred problems and mistakes and likely won't be around by this time next year. The IFL was more competently run.

HOWEVER, there are definitely talented fighters competing for them, including many that would be perfectly respectable or even successful in the UFC.

And yes, Cooper looks very intriguing. Especially considering he is only 25.
First year of the PFL, give it time to work out the kinks. They recently got a $28 million dollars investment from different investors like Kevin Hart and Tony Robbins and others. And if in the end it doesn't work, it doesn't work. NBCSN doesn't seem to be a good network for the PFL. But with FS1 and FS2 losing the UFC to ESPN, maybe the PFL can get a deal with FS1 and FS2.

He seems to be the next hot potential UFC prospect after his PFL league performances, but most of his wins have been against sub par competition

And he's knocked out Jake Shields twice, but to be honest, Jake is 39 and hasnt been in his prime since after the Maia fight

Hes a 5'8" WW with minimal reach, but he seems to just attack fighters, constantly throwing haymakers, hoping one lands

How would he do against a more technical striker who keeps him at distance iwth jabs and push kicks

How is his takedown defense?

How is his gas tank. Can he still throw haymakers Rnd 3?
Tyron Woodley is 5'9, the same height as Ray Cooper. Georges St. Pierre is 5'9, 5'10, Matt Serra is even shorter, and one is the current UFC Welterweight Champion and the other two are former UFC Welterweight Champions. Ray Cooper fits right in their mold.

He's definitely a solid fighter. Some good grappling defense in particular. But man on the feet he is lethal. It's not technical but it's fucking effective ha. I'm a fan.

Back