Is Pereira the luckiest SoB alive or why do they keep wanting to stand and bang with him?

I would say Dana has paid them to stand with Pereira but
u2gObEP.gif

I think ego plays a part here. At least it seems to be the case with Hill. Otherwise I agree with you TS, not that Hill is not a great striker himself, but if he can grapple, lets do it against Poatan, its the smart way to deal with him.

His striking is from another realm? Didn't he get KTFO by Adesanya? Why are people so quick at saying someone new is the GOAT and that a fighter on a nice streak is the best at something? Pereira is a great striker but from another realm? Are you serious? Are you trolling?
Adesanya was, until recently, considered the best striker in the UFC and there were threads wondering is he the MW goat. What he pulled against Alex is not something other fighters can “just do”.

Adesanya was, until recently, considered the best striker in the UFC and there were threads wondering is he the MW goat. What he pulled against Alex is not something other fighters can “just do”.
Exactly what i wanted to say.Israel is also one of the best strikers ufc has ever seen. And lets not forget this was theyr 4th match with poatan having won last 3 and 2 of them by stoppage.

Because MW LHW are striking based divisions ?

I just dont get it why to these fighters keep wanting to stand and bang with Pereira. Hes a glory two weight champion, his standup is from another realm and his power. Adesanya had a kickboxing match with him, Strickland wanted to bang with him, okey Jiri tried to hold him down too but failed and got owned on the feet. Now Jamahal Hill says he will knock him out on the feet. To me this seems ridicolous. Easy money for Pereira
He has good defensive BJJ and is a big human. Plenty of people have tried to grapple with him and after a single round of success he has shut them down. 185+ isn't filled with great wrestlers. It's full of decent wrestlers, but it's not 170. His coach was probably one of the better 205ers grappling wise. Plus he goes from doing ok in the striking to just simply putting people out in his fights. The guy has one of the best 185/205 resumes in recent years for a reason.

His striking is from another realm? Didn't he get KTFO by Adesanya? Why are people so quick at saying someone new is the GOAT and that a fighter on a nice streak is the best at something? Pereira is a great striker but from another realm? Are you serious? Are you trolling?
He’s an active and highly exciting champion. He went up to 205 and won that belt too. He’s one of the best and most terrifying MMA strikers ever, deal with it.

I don’t get why he has haters, he’s basically the fighter every fan wishes existed. Fights often, ducks nobody, is humble and quiet, is in absolute wars every time and could end a fight at any given moment.
Yup and Alex is still 3-1 against him.

He has good defensive BJJ and is a big human. Plenty of people have tried to grapple with him and after a single round of success he has shut them down. 185+ isn't filled with great wrestlers. It's full of decent wrestlers, but it's not 170. His coach was probably one of the better 205ers grappling wise. Plus he goes from doing ok in the striking to just simply putting people out in his fights. The guy has one of the best 185/205 resumes in recent years for a reason.
I'd say its more he has pretty good defensive wrestling and nobody he's faced really has sub grappling dangerous enough to stop the risks he takes to stand back up, I mean most people he's faced have tried to take him down and hold him down.

I'd say its more he has pretty good defensive wrestling and nobody he's faced really has sub grappling dangerous enough to stop the risks he takes to stand back up, I mean most people he's faced have tried to take him down and hold him down.
He has been held down by both Jan and Izzy, but neither could do anything. Jan gassed himself from a single round of it apparently. The reality was he couldn't do anything and knew he had to strike with him. Izzy was going to wrestle in the 2nd fight until he got injured in camp IMO. It worked out well for him because he finally fought on the insde again like he did in his awesome perfromance vs Whittaker and he got the KO.

He has been held down by both Jan and Izzy, but neither could do anything. Jan gassed himself from a single round of it apparently. The reality was he couldn't do anything and knew he had to strike with him. Izzy was going to wrestle in the 2nd fight until he got injured in camp IMO. It worked out well for him because he finally fought on the insde again like he did in his awesome perfromance vs Whittaker and he got the KO.
He's stood up quite a few times after takedowns and people need to work hard to get him down most of the time as well. Again I think the issue is more he's not fought anyone who had punish his very aggressive "just stand up" style of giving his back up but then again that's true for loads of modern MMA fighters.

Last edited:
he's not fought anyone who had punish his very aggressive "just stand up" style of giving him back up but then again thats true for loads of modern MMA fighters.
I think this is the key factor that most people oversee. Not all grapplers are made equal, anybody can take any opponent down with the right timing / luck / mistake by the opponent. Good grapplers are those who manage to capitalize on that and Pereira just has not faced any good grappler. Doesn't change the fact that he has good takedown defense but that's the underlying nuance to it, in my opinion.

I think this is the key factor that most people oversee. Not all grapplers are made equal, anybody can take any opponent down with the right timing / luck / mistake by the opponent. Good grapplers are those who manage to capitalize on that and Pereira just has not faced any good grappler. Doesn't change the fact that he has good takedown defense but that's the underlying nuance to it, in my opinion.
Again though I think thats not uncommon in modern MMA, loads of fighters depend heavily on giving their back up to stand back up and havent faced an elite sub grappler who could punish it because very few of them are around these days and those who are tend to be BJJ guys who don't really look to become rounded MMA fighters but rather use it to promote their gyms.

He's stood up quite a few times after takedowns and people need to work hard to get him down most of the time as well. Again I think the issue is more he's not fought anyone who had punish his very aggressive "just stand up" style of giving his back up but then again that's true for loads of modern MMA fighters.
Yeah I thought Jan was going to do it in that first round. Izzy was very similar in that he was hard to keep down, but once he was down, he had nothing to really threaten people from there.

Yeah I thought Jan was going to do it in that first round. Izzy was very similar in that he was hard to keep down, but once he was down, he had nothing to really threaten people from there.
Izzy does use somewhat similar tactics but I think Alex basically went VERY hard on "just stand up" as his main tactic, honestly I think that was probably a smart decision given how late he came to MMA and it has served him pretty well.

As has been said before often when faced with this people "give up on their wrestling" because they realise its a loosing tactic, if it takes loads of effort to get someone down and you can't keep them down then you end up burning yourself out fast.

It’s not that they don’t try. Glover is doing some proper work with that man. He is hard to keep down. And people hate it, because he is a kickboxer and shouldn’t perform so well. .
Its true. I am very surprised how good the guy's defensive grappling has gotten in a short amount of time.

I dont think the div is crap,but its going to take some time and stability to build it up again.

Because taking him down without getting clipped is easier said than done.

Back