Is Pavlovich is the Russian Ngannou?

Volkov, however, has underrated TDD.
He got taken down easily and mutiple times by all the wrestlers he faced: Blaydes (14 times!), Aspinall, Werdum, Kongo, Tony Johnson. Even Roy Nelson got a TD and 4min of top control.

His grappling defense is good, but his TDD sucks.

No, Ngannou is the Cameroonian Pavlovich.

No, he's nothing like Francis, but he is another good addition at heavyweight.

Hard to shit on the division when it has guys like Gane, Tai, Serg and Aspinall making moves.

I think Gane has the tools to at least decision nearly everyone in HW besides Ngannou.
What we know is that he's never been finished yet (neither in MMA nor in Muay Thai), despite having fought brutal KO artists. But I don't know how he would do against a good grappler. He's obviously training TDD and wrestling now, because, as you said, at this point he can probably at least decision anyone in the division, as long as the fight don't go on the ground. But he won't get world class level grappling in a few months of training, so, we'll find out when it happens, I guess.

He was lucky to get matched against Tai for UFC Paris (I love Tuivasa, but I think this won't be a fun night for Tai) but after that, he'll probably have to fight some Blaydes or Aspinall (if their body don't fall appart before lol) .

Another solution for him may be trying to get more KO power, but I don't think it would be wise to change his striking too much.

Last edited:
Sadly not. Ngannou only lost before Stipe to a can by decision. For Pavlovich actually even being finished by past prime Overeem isnt as bad as a decision loss that Ngannou has or the submission losses Aspinall has.

Also true

Pavlovich deserves more hype as does Romanov who is undefeated. Gane can also still be hyped as he only has a close decision loss to Ngannou and likely will avenge it.

I mean Aspinall was submitted by a nobody. So Pavlovich deserves way more hype

Romanov doesn't get hype from the UFC because they know he has a hard ceiling and is going to get trounced once he comes up against some real opposition. Rewatch his fight with Juan Espino if you want to understand why those who have seen all of his fights aren't believers.

Pavlovich definitely has the makings of a perennial Top 10 HW. The UFC seemed to pull back from that after he repeatedly pulled out of fights with Ciryl Gane & Tom Aspinall but theres obviously a lot of potential. I don't see him as having a championship level ceiling but its HW and no one would have thought Tai Tuivasa would be ranked in the Top 3 a year ago.

Gane is the "Champ in waiting" I don't think theres any HW right now that poses much of a threat to him but fans are understandably down on him after watching him needlessly give away the Ngannou fight in the fifth round.

Last edited:
What we know is that he's never been finished yet (neither in MMA nor in Muay Thai), despite having fought brutal KO artists. But I don't know how he would do against a good grappler. He's obviously training TDD and wrestling now, because, as you said, at this point he can probably at least decision anyone in the division, as long as the fight don't go on the ground. But he won't get world class level grappling in a few months of training, so, we'll find out when it happens, I guess.

He was lucky to get matched against Tai for UFC Paris (I love Tuivasa, but I think this won't be a fun night for Tai) but after that, he'll probably have to fight some Blaydes or Aspinall (if their body don't fall appart before lol) .

Another solution for him may be trying to get more KO power, but I don't think it would be wise to change his striking too much.

Gane has very good cage wrestling. If you rewatch his fight against Ngannou he outwrestled him for the first 2 rounds.

If Gane fights Curtis Blaydes he is going to make Blaydes chase him around the cage and chop away at his calf while he does so. That likely isn't as hard of a fight for Gane as many mistakenly believe.

Aspinall is the real threat to Gane because he has great footwork, not as good footwork, but still enough mobility to hang with Gane. Gane is definitely more technical and has a more diverse striking arsenal but Aspinall seems to have some grappling in his back-pocket so that fight could go a number of different ways; though I would still favor Gane by a wide margin.

Atleast Pavlovich didn't lose to some regional fighter.
Opera-Snapshot-2022-07-31-065034-www-sherdog-com.png

It was not an MMA fight, it should be classified under Amateur.
in 2013 MMA was not legalized in France, it was "Pancrace" Wich does not allow striking on the ground ,and elbow. Only 2 rounds of 5mn also.

Atleast Pavlovich didn't lose to some regional fighter.
Opera-Snapshot-2022-07-31-065034-www-sherdog-com.png

Losing by TKO (in the first round) against a 38 years old fighter is far worse... especially when you're already a confirmed fighter.

Nobody cares about a loss by decision when you're completely new to the sport.

Now maybe you will understand why he doesn't have the same hype than Francis<GOT2>

He got taken down easily and mutiple times by all the wrestlers he faced: Blaydes (14 times!), Aspinall, Werdum, Kongo, Tony Johnson. Even Roy Nelson got a TD and 4min of top control.

His grappling defense is good, but his TDD sucks.
You got me there, although I think Nelson has better takedowns than Kongo. Blaydes is a takedown machine (for a HW, anyways), so no fault there.

Dumb logic. Tai face planted Lewis, does that mean he’s the Australian Francis?

If Tuivasa was known for finishing opponents in the first and had the same exact physique as Ngannou, yes.

Except Pavlovich took the fight against Reem on like 10 days notice.

Plus he got wrestlefucked which is what would have happened to Ngannou too if he had taken the fight on short notice early in his career

Gane has very good cage wrestling. If you rewatch his fight against Ngannou he outwrestled him for the first 2 rounds.

If Gane fights Curtis Blaydes he is going to make Blaydes chase him around the cage and chop away at his calf while he does so. That likely isn't as hard of a fight for Gane as many mistakenly believe.

Aspinall is the real threat to Gane because he has great footwork, not as good footwork, but still enough mobility to hang with Gane. Gane is definitely more technical and has a more diverse striking arsenal but Aspinall seems to have some grappling in his back-pocket so that fight could go a number of different ways; though I would still favor Gane by a wide margin.
You might be right about Blaydes ; Gane's footwork and striking may also be a great advantage to preserve him from being taken down too much. He has also a good capacity to stay focused, especially because he doesn't take a lot of damage.

I also agree that Aspinall is probably the biggest threat, but he has yet to undergo surgery, and if I'm up to date, his knee is still too swollen to get an accurate MRI, so we don't know the full extent of the damages. But anyway, that can't be good news for him ; he can just hope that there will be no long lasting consequences, hindering his mobility.

That still means a rather long recovery time with no training, and I can't imagine him being totally ready to fight Gane anytime soon.

Back