Is Pavlovich is the Russian Ngannou?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I think Pavlovich is the Russian version of Ngannou. He's the same height and reach (6'3 and 84"), he's got a monster physique, he's been finishing people violently in the first round, and he does it by swinging his huge arms with ridiculous power.

Regardless of what you think of the Lewis stoppage, he faceplanted Derrick which is more than Ngannou managed to do.

We'll see if Pavlovich manages to evolve a ground game like Ngannou did, but at this point in his career he is doing exactly what earlier Ngannou was doing.

Last edited:
Sergei is good, and only 30. The Overeem loss was quite the setback for his hype though, keep in perspective he was just 27 at the time though.

The Russian N'Gannou? I don't know, I'd like to see him vs more top guys. Maybe have his ground game tested because if Overeem can wrestle you, Aspinall, Blaydes and N'Gannou will too.

So far so good, and demolishing Lewis like that is impressive. 84" reach for a guy 6' 3 is crazy too. Maybe Blaydes next?

Shall we compare their fights against Overeem?

View attachment 935057

View attachment 935058
Atleast Pavlovich didn't lose to some regional fighter.
Opera-Snapshot-2022-07-31-065034-www-sherdog-com.png

People forget that Overeem has decent grappling. 17 submissions and won the 2005 ADCC European trials. Some may debate this point, but he came close to subbing Stipe.
He was decent. But he couldn't outwrestle Ngannou, Blaydes, Volkov and he didn't finish Rozenstruik on the ground.

Overeem's ground game was comparable to Gane imo.

evolve a ground game like Ngannou did
Still waiting to see it. Improved TDD against Stipe and taking an unexpecting Gane to the ground and holding him there with his size and strength is more good strategy than having a ground game. but then again, maybe this is more nitpicky.

He was decent. But he couldn't outwrestle Ngannou, Blaydes, Volkov and he didn't finish Rozenstruik on the ground.

Overeem's ground game was comparable to Gane imo.
I have to disagree. Gane would not qualify for the ADCC. Blaydes was a collegiate wrestler, the Francis fight wasn't that long (I never said Overeem had good td's, if he did that fight might not have been the highlight reel knockout). Volkov may be a good point, but I cannot recall the fight off the top of my head. Volkov, however, has underrated TDD.

Sadly not. Ngannou only lost before Stipe to a can by decision. For Pavlovich actually even being finished by past prime Overeem isnt as bad as a decision loss that Ngannou has or the submission losses Aspinall has.
Atleast Pavlovich didn't lose to some regional fighter.
Opera-Snapshot-2022-07-31-065034-www-sherdog-com.png

Also true

Pavlovich deserves more hype as does Romanov who is undefeated. Gane can also still be hyped as he only has a close decision loss to Ngannou and likely will avenge it.

I mean Aspinall was submitted by a nobody. So Pavlovich deserves way more hype

Dumb logic. Tai face planted Lewis, does that mean he’s the Australian Francis?

Sergey is gonna be champ in the next few fights. But I don't think he's like Francis at all, different style.

Last edited:
Pavlovich has better technique, about equal for speed, and but not as powerful as Ngannou and probably doesn't gas as easily.

I think Gane has the tools to at least decision nearly everyone in HW besides Ngannou.

There is some resemblance, like they're both huge guys who pack a punch and use primarily boxing, but I don't think Sergei is as much of a freak as Ngannou. Not convinced he's top 5 material either as it seems there's at least a couple of guys who can beat him the way Overeem did.

Back