Is Donald Damaging Race Relations?

I remember @panamaican once made the interesting argument that Asian gangs have the advantage of a language barrier. Asians are a small part of the population and not particularly interested in joining the police force, not to mention Asian languages are radically more different from English than Spanish for instance. So it can make it harder for the police to penetrate their communities for intel on the gangs, which means fewer Asians get caught by the police which means they become underrepresented in crime stats. That under-representation in crime stats can lead to policing being redirected elsewhere.

Makes sense but I don't know how true that is.

oh it is. I was born & raised in Flushing Queens, arguably dubbed the official Chinatown of NYC, over the original Chinatown in Manhattan.

I've grown up with & around a LOT of Asian gang members, & even lost a friend trying to escape the lifestyle. you never hear about this shit in the news, but I sure as hell can tell you stories that are newsworthy & every bit as gruesome as the ones you'd expect to gain airtime. they're just not "sexy" enough to gain traction.

for example, there was a "lover's" quarrel of a situation a while back where a jealous woman, maybe even wife, killed her cheating lover/or husband & carved out his heart in a bloody sick mess. that barely cracked the news, I heard about it months later after it had already happened.

I remember @panamaican once made the interesting argument that Asian gangs have the advantage of a language barrier. Asians are a small part of the population and not particularly interested in joining the police force, not to mention Asian languages are radically more different from English than Spanish for instance. So it can make it harder for the police to penetrate their communities for intel on the gangs, which means fewer Asians get caught by the police which means they become underrepresented in crime stats. That under-representation in crime stats can lead to policing being redirected elsewhere.

Interesting. But it's just the result of demographics and not some conspiracy.

Interesting. But it's just the result of demographics and not some conspiracy.
True but the term "privilege" never implies some sort of conspiracy.

True but the term "privilege" never implies some sort of conspiracy.
It shouldn't but some associate it with unfairly gained advantage that the recipient should feel guilt for. Conspiracy isn't the right word but it's all I could think of.

No, he's not.

Just like Obama wasn't the great healer, Trump is not the great divider.

People are merely scapegoating him this time. If they're a racist that didn't just happen recently.

It shouldn't but some associate it with unfairly gained advantage that the recipient should feel guilt for. Conspiracy isn't the right word but it's all I could think of.
But in the case I outlined it sort of is an unfairly gained advantage. Asian street gangs have that advantage over black ones who don't have the language barrier advantage.

I remember it from a non-internet source. It was actually about the specific problems that the police face in dealing with various types of inner city crime. This subchapter was on policing Asian communities (within the larger context of policing immigrant communities) and how the language barrier made it more difficult to enlist community assistance in local policing, which is essential to solving local crime. And it wasn't just the inability to properly canvas the local community. There is a "no snitching" component to urban Asian communities as well. They are hesitant to report Asian crime to the authorities, preferring instead to rely on community enforcement groups (I can't remember the exact term but it's something with a traditional component). So, it's not that inner city Asian criminals go unpunished, more that they don't end up in the official data sets.

I thought it was fascinating just because it illustrated just how strongly those parts of the country have held onto their country of origin traditions. But when people start conversations about inner city crime and statistics, it becomes relevant to displaying how many things can influence those final numbers.

Everybody is under the media's influence. Whether you like to admit it or not, Both the left and the right, all race, all religion, agnostic, atheist, Christians, etc. IMO the American media's greatest lie is the Asian privilege, and every single one of you numbnuts believe it and think it's true. Come at me Sherbros?
If that's the case, it always has been. Read some news stories from basically any news source from the past fifty to a hundred years. You'll read a slant.
People be acting like news bias is something new.

Wtf is Asian privilege? Lol. Never heard of it. Discipline, hard work, and tight knit families?
you're Canadian, so maybe you never heard of Asians being the most privileged group in America. More privileged than Whites, and every other minorities.

You're living denial just like everyone here. There are lots of Asians in the Police force and gang task force that helps with tackling Asian gangs, and crime syndicate in heavily populated Asian communities. Where are you getting your sources from btw? We both know, and everyone here knows, this isn't the privilege that Asians are known for. You guys choose to live in a dream, rather than face reality. I don't blame you, you guys are putting you're entire existence into question. People here are afraid of their reality beyond the media.

you're Canadian, so maybe you never heard of Asians being the most privileged group in America. More privileged than Whites, and every other minorities.

You're living denial just like everyone here. There are lots of Asians in the Police force and gang task force that helps with tackling Asian gangs, and crime syndicate in heavily populated Asian communities. Where are you getting your sources from btw? We both know, and everyone here knows, this isn't the privilege that Asians are known for. You guys choose to live in a dream, rather than face reality. I don't blame you, you guys are putting you're entire existence into question. People here are afraid of their reality beyond the media.
I know, that was just an interesting argument I've read here that I thought was relevant. Of course there are Asians in the police force but there can only be so many given the fact that they're such a small minority. And its easier for a non-Hispanic American to learn Spanish than Vietnamese or Chinese I imagine.

No, he's not.

Just like Obama wasn't the great healer, Trump is not the great divider.

People are merely scapegoating him this time. If they're a racist that didn't just happen recently.

It didn't happen recently but he's given them a voice and moral support.

I know, that was just an interesting argument I've read here that I thought was relevant. Of course there are Asians in the police force but there can only be so many given the fact that they're such a small minority. And its easier for a non-Hispanic American to learn Spanish than Vietnamese or Chinese I imagine.
doesn't that kind of answer your question though, Asians are a small minority, so they are under-represented in the police force. Especially given the "physical requirements" for being in the police academy. Asians are generally smaller in stature too, and not really known for their physical traits.

doesn't that kind of answer your question though, Asians are a small minority, so they are under-represented in the police force. Especially given the "physical requirements" for being in the police academy. Asians are generally smaller in stature too, and not really known for their physical traits.
Okay so now you're agreeing with me? To be clear, I'm not trying to paint this so called Asian privilege as something insidious. I actually agree with you that the argument that the "Asian privilege" argument used here often is kind of bunk, I just thought that specific argument that I read pan make was interesting.

Back