Is Daniel Cormier an A level athlete?

He has an explosive burst of power that has so much strength behind it. Does that make him an A level athlete? Probably, he was an Olympian.... I just want better athletes in MMA.

He's fat and obese. Of course he's not an A-level athlete.

No olympic amateure doesnt mean nothing. Usain Bolt, Klitschko, Messi or Micheal Jordan are a level since they stand against a atleast 100000x bigger competition. If you make your living making penauts in a niche sport your at best level Y to Z.
And a lot of people overestimated the level of ufc athletes, most bums at bareknuckle boxing would ko your roided up champ(as it happend!).

DC isn't built like an athlete, but he never let that stop him. Damn impressive no matter what letter grade you want to give his pure athleticism.

Well he is an Ultimate fighter so therefor he’s automatically C level.

Sure, they have great genes, but they also don't believe enough in their athletic ability and technique to compete without PEDs.

To put it another way, if the Jones brothers didn't think PEDs would meaningfully help them, why would they risk getting suspended from competition.

Would Jon Jones look at be as fast and powerful without PEDs? Probably not.

You dont seem to be knowledgeable about elite athletisism.

First most d1 athletes have tried or are on gear, let alone in the nfl.
Im doubtful anyone in mma isnt on something even in the USADA climate

It doesnt matter how many roids anyone on here or your average joe blow takes, they will NEVER compete in the NFl nor do what Jon does

You dont understand athleticism nor the point of this thread.

The fact that was Mitrione able to compete at any level of mma at a professional level AFTER his NFL career washout, after his prime years is an indication of the superior athleticism he and nfl calibre athletes posses.

Mma fighters cannot go into the nfl at 30 after their careers are washed up and compete
No you are wrong, DC came to UFC at 30 and became champ in both LHW and HW

There are way more athletes from other combat sports who had a good run in MMA and did much better if not performed as equivalent to those guys from NFL you've listed which automatically refutes your point.

Whether MMA athletes can transition to NFL is completely irrelevant point which has nothing to do with this topic. MMA is a unification of all combat sports, you transition to MMA not the reverse.

Same way no NFL player will ever transition to wrestling and win medals at the olympics.

There are way more athletes from other combat sports who had a good run in MMA and did much better if not performed as equivalent to those guys from NFL you've listed which automatically refutes your point.

Whether MMA athletes can transition to NFL is completely irrelevant point which has nothing to do with this topic. MMA is a unification of all combat sports, you transition to MMA not the reverse.

Same way no NFL player will ever transition to wrestling win medals at the olympics.

Cormier is also a world class athlete
Which only further illustrates the significance of athleticism.

A better athlete will exceed even if they start late in life as DC, Mitrione Schaub etc have done

Cormier is also a world class athlete
Which only further illustrates the significance of athleticism.

A better athlete will exceed even if they start late in life as DC, Mitrione Schaub etc have done
I've been telling you this since the very first post I wrote here, I'm glad you finally get it.

I've been telling you this since the very first post I wrote here, I'm glad you finally get it.

U lost me
But if we agree better athletes make fighters than we are in agreement

C at best. Nevermind he competed in one of the most physical sports at the highest level possible. He has a little bit of bodyfat so therefore he can't be as high level as Sage Northcutt.

U lost me
But if we agree better athletes make fighters than we are in agreement
No better athletes does not make better fighters, good fighters are good athletes, there are subtlety in that.

muhammad ali most likely would NOT have been a world class pro athlete in other sports but he is an incredible athlete in boxing.

No better athletes does not make better fighters, good fighters are good athletes, there are subtlety in that.

muhammad ali most likely would NOT have been a world class pro athlete in other sports but he is an incredible athlete in boxing.

Anyone who has participated in combat sports or any sports knows the pertinence of better athleticism.

Better athlete skill > inferior athlete w same skill

Anyone who has participated in combat sports or any sports knows the pertinence of better athleticism.

Better athlete skill > inferior athlete w same skill
You are going circular now, to become the world's best in MMA you need both skills and athleticism, I'm sure you can at least admit to this.

You are going circular now, to become the world's best in MMA you need both skills and athleticism, I'm sure you can at least admit to this.

The calibre of athleticism currently in mma is way lower than other sports.

Guys like Jones and DC are high in athleticism and skill (jones inferior to his bros/NFL calibre and more skill)

but overwhelmingly athleticism in mma its relatively low obviously because of the compensation.

But its definitely a far cry from a decade ago when math teachers, cops, firemen and costco repair men were champions

Guys like Jones and DC are high in athleticism and skill (jones inferior to his bros/NFL calibre and more skill)

but overwhelmingly athleticism in mma its relatively low obviously because of the compensation.

But its definitely a far cry from a decade ago when math teachers, cops, firemen and costco repair men were champions
You seem to not understand the difference in athleticism needed in combat sports vs traditional sports

You are equivocating athleticism from traditional spots in combat sports(how fast you can run, how high you can jump etc) when you don't run or jump in MMA. (In all traditional spots basketball,nfl,tennis,baseball you run and jump)

Additionally I agree with you in that level of athleticism is getting better compared to the past but even in those days when math teachers and fireman were good fighters these guys all had a background in wrestling and other combat sports growing up.

UFC has many Olmypians competing in the sport, you will never see athletes from traditional sports crossing over with ease.

But what you don’t seem to get is the more athletic you are less skills you need to be successful

So a beast triple a athlete like lebron needs minimal skills to be the best fighter

Same way no NFL player will ever transition to wrestling and win medals at the olympics.

They are more likley

Cormier got outwrestled by Jones in their fight

You really think in a pure wrestling match dc would ragdoll him?

Gsp is another one who picked up wrestling later in life n was able to pretty much outwrestle every wrestler he faced. At one point he was considering trying out for Canadian national team.

Now keep in mind these guys might be athletic for mma standards, but are average at best for nba/nfl standards

Fireman n plumber were champs not too long ago...

You seem to not understand the difference in athleticism needed in combat sports vs traditional sports

You are equivocating athleticism from traditional spots in combat sports(how fast you can run, how high you can jump etc) when you don't run or jump in MMA. (In all traditional spots basketball,nfl,tennis,baseball you run and jump)

Additionally I agree with you in that level of athleticism is getting better compared to the past but even in those days when math teachers and fireman were good fighters these guys all had a background in wrestling and other combat sports growing up.

UFC has many Olmypians competing in the sport, you will never see athletes from traditional sports crossing over with ease.

What you don’t seem to understand is athleticism is athleticism

Aspects of athleticism like jumping n running tell you about the athletic ability.

Someone who can run really fast and/or jump really high means they have a lot of fast twitch muscle fibres, which means they are more explosive.

In terms of fighting that means they will cover more ground in less time n react quicker

It also means they will be able to generate more power

All very valuable in fighting

Back