Iranian Woman Arrested for Posting "Nude" Photos

I would say the difference between Iran and Afghanistan has more to do with development than political rights, which both have garbage records on. I do see your point but I just reject it as a sufficient defense of the Iranian case because I feel that there the government sanctioned gender double standard is egregiously oppressive. If this were the case of certain Indonesian localities, where female civil servants are required to wear the hijab, I would agree. I really don't see that as worse than mandating male civil servants wear a useless piece of cloth tied around their necks in an unnecessarily elaborate fashion(i.e. a tie).

But let's imagine for instance that instead of simply being a dress code for professionals like civil servants, wearing a tie became mandatory for all men at all times in the public sphere and that any photos of you not wearing a tie made you liable to get arrested. I would say that's a bit much.

I think we agree on pretty much everything, but need some clarification on this point.

I agree that Iran's laws are harsh by Western standards. I sure as hell wouldn't want to abide by those, but I'm currently livingin a country where you can be detained for a MINIMUM of 5 days for bringing alcohol on the subway, so I've gained an ability to understand the practical impact a system of laws can have on a population and I see it more as what is the objective of such laws than rather they are tyrannical or not.

But even with the point you're making about ties, the difference is that ALL of Iran's laws are harsh, not just laws on women. As I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't have a problem with the more accurate thread title "Iran has harsh laws" other than the fact that it isn't at all threadworthy. But to portray this as some example of female oppression in Iran is absurd, especially when many of the same people are in the Women's March thread making some ridiculous and dated sexist comments.

You couldn't point out Iran on a labeled map. Admit it.

Great thread, TS. I, too, find it crazy that different countries have different laws.

1) "You couldn't point out Iran on a labeled map."
- this is irrelevant

2) "I, too, find it crazy that different countries have different laws"
- I don't think he is saying this, I think he is saying the exact opposite. That they would not fit in here because we are so different and better.

I agree that Iran's laws are harsh by Western standards. I sure as hell wouldn't want to abide by those, but I'm currently livingin a country where you can be detained for a MINIMUM of 5 days for bringing alcohol on the subway, so I've gained an ability to understand the practical impact a system of laws can have on a population and I see it more as what is the objective of such laws than rather they are tyrannical or not.

But even with the point you're making about ties, the difference is that ALL of Iran's laws are harsh, not just laws on women. As I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't have a problem with the more accurate thread title "Iran has harsh laws" other than the fact that it isn't at all threadworthy. But to portray this as some example of female oppression in Iran is absurd, especially when many of the same people are in the Women's March thread making some ridiculous and dated sexist comments.
Sure, many of Iran's laws are harsh. In particular I find their drug laws to be quite draconian as they're known for executing minors who commit drug offenses. That resonates with me as a person who committed a drug crime(bought a special brownie) as a minor.

But just because they have many harsh laws does not mean we can't or shouldn't zero in one one or a set of laws that targets a specific group of people, especially if one sees it as indicative of a larger trend in Iranian and/or Islamic culture. In this case, its the trend of egregious policing of women's attire and behavior. We're going to accept a certain amount of that in any society. For instance, as you alluded to earlier, women can not walk topless in most cities in the US and I'm okay with that.

But arresting women who have any photos of themselves topless is a step too far. In this case they're arresting a women who didn't even show her genitals or breast, simply exposed too much in an online photo. However you might want to spin it, that's egregiously oppressive to women in a way that I don't think any of the grievances expressed by the Women's March is.

Back