Indepth GSP vs Woodley

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I see alot of people , jumping on this narrative that GSP would lose and lose badly to woodley..and that he's some how scaried to fight him.

Let's break this down and try and understand how this is even possible to think.

First there skill set and style..

GSP is a tactical Wrestler with a Karate based striking style, specializing in effective gameplanning and execution of said gameplan

Woodley is a powerful wrestler and primarily a boxing stylist on his feet specializing in both counter wrestling and counter power striker

Now there physical comparison

GSP 5 10 - 170/lbs with a hydration factor of around 19 to 20 pounds putting him around 190
Reach : 76

Woodley 5'9 170lbs and similar hydration level to GSP bringing him 190 +
Reach :74

All in all pretty close physically speaking with the reach going to GSP..a key factor when considering one of George's best weapon is his jab.

Moving on to career breakdown and pedrigee as fighters

Starting first with Common Opponents in this case they share two common opponents

Josh koscheck and Jake shields

GSP
Defeated Josh koscheck twice (decision unnamious both times, broke Josh's orbital bone in the second meeting)

Defeated Jake shields (unanimous)

Woodley

Defeated by Jake shields (decision spilt)

Defeated Josh koscheck (huge k.o)

Although Woodley lost it was a close fight and he also beat koscheck in a fashion GSP could not , that being said GSP was throughly dominate over both fights with koscheck most noticeable he's ability to stop koschecks takedowns while landing his own ..when Josh was considered to be the "better wrestler"

Further career analysis

GSP has consistently beaten fighters who were considered better grapplers or wrestlers them him , a claim most people are saying about Woodley as well as beating some powerful strikers as well.

Here are these two fighters top wins against fighters who represent a part or fully each other's style.

First GSP

Matt Hughes -2 victories ..one a tko finish where he stopped Hughes wrestling and outgrappped and outstruck him from range and a second victory by submission where he throughly outgrappled Hughes and sub him via armbar. ( Hughes is widely regarded as one of the best wrestlers to ever compete in MMA period and has better credentils then Woodley)

Frank Trigg another top level wrestler who has show decent hands ,was beaten by GSP by submission again outgraappling someone who was supposed to be better at it then him.

BJ Penn a grappler who can strike with big power and was a champion at welterweight, GSP shut him down in the rematch for a corner stoppage and made a comeback victory in there first fight despite being lit up in the first round ( BJ again someone considered be a better grapplers and more powerful strikers then gsp just like Woodley)

Jon Fitch - probably the best 170 pound wrestler to ever compete..he was never in the fight agaisnt GSP and at moments looked like an amatuer.( Another top wrestler beaten soundly)

Now Woodley

Kelvin gastelum..woodley fought a tough fight agaisnt kelvin and won, kelvin is a well rounded fighter with a good wrestling base much like GSP

Rory McDonald..Woodley was defeated and beaten badly by Rory McDonald who is a wrestler and teammate of GSP who fights similar to GSP ..albeit alittle taller with more reach

Josh koscheck - great wrestler with decent striking and power didn't last very long and was koed by Woodley ( koscheck wrestling was subpar to GSPs but higher then most and couldnt do anything with it on Woodley)

Nate mardqaurdt - another well rounded wrestler/grappler based fighter who Koed Woodley badly .. mardqaurdt is very similar to GSP size and experience level.

Based on these .. Woodley has been far more inconsistent against fighters similar to GSP then GSP has agaisnt fighters close to Woodleys style..

That being said there always X- Factors in every fight

Xfactors for GSP vs Woodley

GSP- GSPs well rounded fighter style and adaptability makes him extremely hard to predict and prepare for..how many times have we seen him confuse opponents or adjust mid fight to pull out the victory( Hughes,BJ Penn,Nick Diaz)

Woodley- Destructive power in his hands, Woodley posses the ultimate equalizer in his fist and has proven recently that regardless of the round or opponent size he can knock them down a level or out cold. Something GSP would have to be concerned with.

My overall fight assessment

GSP wins by decision or late submission..the gameplan will consist of ranged striking early by GSP getting Woodley to back up agaisnt the cage similarly to how he did against Rory and GSP will proceed to take down woodley through the middle rounds and will either rinse and repeat for the decision or rear naked choke late on a tired Woodley.

Overall GSP has more tools he can use to best Woodley then Woodley does to beat him..

This is my opinion based on the research provided above.

Please discuss

TL: DR isn't valid here but expected as this is sherdog afterall lol

Last edited:
Woodley > GSP

If you say otherwise you’re an uneducated casual.

As if GSP would fall for Woodleys gameplay of backing himself up against the cage to counter.

GSP would own him all day long and use his strategy against him all fucking night long.

GSP has been in more wars. The only painful Woodley fight was against Marquart. GSP was hurt in many fights and it takes a piece off a fighter.

I think GSP pre-retirement would beat current Woodley, however even though GSP defeated Bisping, I'm not sure if he still has the speed, explosiveness and reflexes he once had. With that being said for me it's a toss up. Either GSP gets caught and rocked and then gnp'd to a stoppage ala Serra or GSP does what he does best and beats a wrestler in his own game and picks him apart on the stand-up.

I do think Woodley is a tough match up for GSP at any point in his career. I think his TDD would largely negate one of GSP's better weapons and the power and speed of his striking is something GSP would have to respect. I don't buy that Woodley somehow bulldozes GSP, but he presents a real problem for GSP.

Woodley now KOs any version of GSP. Styles make fights and Georges knows this.

GSP’s biggest strength was the threat of the takedown.

No one was/is afraid of his striking. His striking effectiveness was greatly increased by the threat of his blast double.

If GSP can’t take Woodley down regularly, there’s no way he wins the fight.

I see the fight looking a lot like GSP vs. Hendricks.

Only Woodley is much faster than Hendricks, is a better striker, has better footwork, and he seems to be a more powerful puncher, too.

Would probably be a boring fight, with both guys playing it safe. Would definitely be a boring fight if GSP could impose his will.

Would be a short and dominant fight if Woodley could get up the guts to let his hands go...

GSP is great at working distance striking game, but without as much of a takedown threat against Woodley, I'm not sure it would be as effective. Granted, he also doesn't have to worry about takedowns as much, so that could give him an edge that Till and Thompson didn't have. If he had a serious reach advantage like Rory, than that would probably make the difference, but as is, I feel like his chin isn't that safe in this fight.

Also, Woodley is likely faster which is an advantage that GSP is very used to having. And Woodley is probably the only fighter in the division that can cover distance as well as him. I just have a hard time visualizing the win for GSP. His best option would probably be a lot of take downs/clinching to wear on Woodley's gas tank. So not an impossible win by any means, but I think Woodley is the clear favourite.

Either way, GSP is still the ww goat.

Current Woodley beats any version of GSP. Styles make fights. Woodley is a horrible match up for Pierre.

GSP is waaaay older in MMA years.
Please read carefully.
He has gone five rounds longer, is probably more prone to damages around his face, less durable than Tyron. He fought some of the best out there, and imo the greatest WW of all time.

But.
Enter Tyron Woodley.
Currently, he looks unstoppable. He has sinister power in that right hand, comparable to Dan Henderson's H-Bomb.
He is a wicked wrestler, comparable to Jon Fitch but I think Tyron has more explosiveness than Jon.
Brilliant counter striker and sets-up that right hand perfectly when given the opportunity (Till).
And when he has to be, is a smart fighter and doesn't try to do anything that can jeopardize his career or fight (Maia).
If they fought today, Tyron would win

Current Woodley beats any version of GSP. Styles make fights. Woodley is a horrible match up for Pierre.
Current Woodley > Current GSP
Current Woodley vs Prime GSP, that's a lot harder.
Can't just brush GSP like that

GSP would be able to implement the Rory MacDonald game plan against Woodley and would be even more dominant.

I see alot of people , jumping on this narrative that GSP would lose and lose badly to woodley..and that he's some how scaried to fight him.

Let's break this down and try and understand how this is even possible to think.

First there skill set and style..

GSP is a tactical Wrestler with a Karate based striking style, specializing in effective gameplanning and execution of said gameplan

Woodley is a powerful wrestler and primarily a boxing stylist on his feet specializing in both counter wrestling and counter power striker

Now there physical comparison

GSP 5 10 - 170/lbs with a hydration factor of around 19 to 20 pounds putting him around 190
Reach : 76

Woodley 5'9 170lbs and similar hydration level to GSP bringing him 190 +
Reach :74

All in all pretty close physically speaking with the reach going to GSP..a key factor when considering one of George's best weapon is his jab.

Moving on to career breakdown and pedrigee as fighters

Starting first with Common Opponents in this case they share two common opponents

Josh koscheck and Jake shields

GSP
Defeated Josh koscheck twice (decision unnamious both times, broke Josh's orbital bone in the second meeting)

Defeated Jake shields (unanimous)

Woodley

Defeated by Jake shields (decision spilt)

Defeated Josh koscheck (huge k.o)

Although Woodley lost it was a close fight and he also beat koscheck in a fashion GSP could not , that being said GSP was throughly dominate over both fights with koscheck most noticeable he's ability to stop koschecks takedowns while landing his own ..when Josh was considered to be the "better wrestler"

Further career analysis

GSP has consistently beaten fighters who were considered better grapplers or wrestlers them him , a claim most people are saying about Woodley as well as beating some powerful strikers as well.

Here are these two fighters top wins against fighters who represent a part or fully each other's style.

First GSP

Matt Hughes -2 victories ..one a tko finish where he stopped Hughes wrestling and outgrappped and outstruck him from range and a second victory by submission where he throughly outgrappled Hughes and sub him via armbar. ( Hughes is widely regarded as one of the best wrestlers to ever compete in MMA period and has better credentils then Woodley)

Frank Trigg another top level wrestler who has show decent hands ,was beaten by GSP by submission again outgraappling someone who was supposed to be better at it then him.

BJ Penn a grappler who can strike with big power and was a champion at welterweight, GSP shut him down in the rematch for a corner stoppage and made a comeback victory in there first fight despite being lit up in the first round ( BJ again someone considered be a better grapplers and more powerful strikers then gsp just like Woodley)

Jon Fitch - probably the best 170 pound wrestler to ever compete..he was never in the fight agaisnt GSP and at moments looked like an amatuer.( Another top wrestler beaten soundly)

Now Woodley

Kelvin gastelum..woodley fought a tough fight agaisnt kelvin and won, kelvin is a well rounded fighter with a good wrestling base much like GSP

Rory McDonald..Woodley was defeated and beaten badly by Rory McDonald who is a wrestler and teammate of GSP who fights similar to GSP ..albeit alittle taller with more reach

Josh koscheck - great wrestler with decent striking and power didn't last very long and was koed by Woodley ( koscheck wrestling was subpar to GSPs but higher then most and couldnt do anything with it on Woodley)

Nate mardqaurdt - another well rounded wrestler/grappler based fighter who Koed Woodley badly .. mardqaurdt is very similar to GSP size and experience level.

Based on these .. Woodley has been far more inconsistent against fighters similar to GSP then GSP has agaisnt fighters close to Woodleys style..

That being said there always X- Factors in every fight

Xfactors for GSP vs Woodley

GSP- GSPs well rounded fighter style and adaptability makes him extremely hard to predict and prepare for..how many times have we seen him confuse opponents or adjust mid fight to pull out the victory( Hughes,BJ Penn,Nick Diaz)

Woodley- Destructive power in his hands, Woodley posses the ultimate equalizer in his fist and has proven recently that regardless of the round or opponent size he can knock them down a level or out cold. Something GSP would have to be concerned with.

My overall fight assessment

GSP wins by decision or late submission..the gameplan will consist of ranged striking early by GSP getting Woodley to back up agaisnt the cage similarly to how he did against Rory and GSP will proceed to take down woodley through the middle rounds and will either rinse and repeat for the decision or rear naked choke late on a tired Woodley.

Overall GSP has more tools he can use to best Woodley then Woodley does to beat him..

This is my opinion based on the research provided above.

Please discuss

TL: DR isn't valid here but expected as this is sheepdog afterall lol
Lets be real here if The goat GSP though he could beat the new ww goat TYRON then heda fought him

Woodley’s style is effective but predictable. If he chose to retreat and try to land the big right, I think he would seriously struggle with GSP. GSP would have that jab in his face all day and know what was coming. If he got aggressive and went after GSP he might be more effective. Either way I can’t favor Woodley over a prime GSP

Back