Indepth GSP vs Woodley

What does that have to do with anything? I think you're just upset I didn't show a flattering Woodley GIF and missed my point. I'll make it more clear...

Tyron backing up and leading guys to his power shot is something Woodley has done for a long, long time. It's a tendency Rory and Firas exploited, took away from Woodley and left him with nothing to attack with. It's something Wonderboy was also prepared for, like in the GIF I showed.

Till and Koscheck had no respect, awareness or we're over confident in the same scenarios, and were blasted. Georges will not be one of those guys.
He backed up against marquart too, and paid the price. Then keeps doing it.

Gsp has prepared for Woodley twice now both with wins.

He is very versed in his holes and how to exploit them.

He probably sees it as zero challenge and adds nothing new to his legacy. Oh he wins another WW belt YAY ! So exciting that’s 13 now!!

Marquart went to tri Star specifically to train with gsp and game plan for Woodley.

Rory, shit man gsp is probably tired of game planning for him.

He’s like the final boss, it you lost to both mini bosses, you don’t get to fight the final boss till you beat the mini’s lol.

He backed up against marquart too, and paid the price. Then keeps doing it.

Gsp has prepared for Woodley twice now both with wins.

He is very versed in his holes and how to exploit them.

He probably sees it as zero challenge and adds nothing new to his legacy. Oh he wins another WW belt YAY ! So exciting that’s 13 now!!

Marquart went to tri Star specifically to train with gsp and game plan for Woodley.

Rory, shit man gsp is probably tired of game planning for him.

He’s like the final boss, it you lost to both mini bosses, you don’t get to fight the final boss till you beat the mini’s lol.

GSP has his goals. The flavor of the week won't change that.

Maybe your prediction is right.
We’ never know.

But Jon Fitch is far from the best wrestler or MMA wrestler to compete at 170.
He has an incredibly padded record.

And regarding Woodley: he has improved A LOT since most of the matches you discussed.

Finally, no way GSP wins by submission.
But I can buy GSP winning by decision, which is probably the most likely outcome.

Yea I put the sub in there in reference to GSPs fight IQ that if he noticed Tyron is tired he'll go for the sub..but decision is the highest probability..

Koshcheck is not like Woodley, why do people say this. Woodley is way stronger, doesn't seem to be as fluid/comfortable like it's robotic but effective and has better boxing.

Koshcheck had better cardio, and more active offensive wrestling imo.

I think GSP is a better fighter but his chin would let him down and he gets finished.

There is NO way GSP's reach is 76.

76 is 6'4" in length. That is 6 inches longer than his height.

That kind of wingspan is really apparent when you look at a person. I haven't seen a person with those physical characteristics.
YES, the difference is and can be magnified with people who are really tall, like basketball players, but that is NOT the case here.

That kind of wingspan is really apparent when you look at a person. I haven't seen a person with those physical characteristics.
YES, the difference is and can be magnified with people who are really tall, like basketball players, but that is NOT the case here.

UFC site has it listed at 76'.

Don't know if that's true, but GSP's unique body type and reach has been part of his success with the jab

There is a reason why GSP picked Bisping and now going to LW. Woodley is simply a high risk and low gain for GSP.

What does that have to do with anything? I think you're just upset I didn't show a flattering Woodley GIF and missed my point. I'll make it more clear...

Tyron backing up and leading guys to his power shot is something Woodley has done for a long, long time. It's a tendency Rory and Firas exploited, took away from Woodley and left him with nothing to attack with. It's something Wonderboy was also prepared for, like in the GIF I showed.

Till and Koscheck had no respect, awareness or we're over confident in the same scenarios, and were blasted. Georges will not be one of those guys.
Your point means nothing. Woodley can hurt GSP striking anywhere in any position. And he would catch him.

His torso is very wide, it’s not all arm length.

But when he puts that jab out there it covers distance as does his Superman punch.

Look at some pics of him throwing it mid punch, it’s LONG.

Your point means nothing. Woodley can hurt GSP striking anywhere in any position. And he would catch him.

The same people saying GSP would win are the same posters that defend GSP for not fighting T-Wood. This place makes me sad sometimes.

Look at these lazy thinkers.

You guys are not convincing anybody but yourselves with list lazy shit, but if you believe it, that's all that matters.

Call me a racist or something and move along.

Last edited:
GSP 50-45 in a classic GSP fight

Truth stings doesn't it?

ANY version of GSP doesn't TOUCH current Woodley

Woodley has a ton of defenses to get in the same league with Hughes, let alone GSP. and even when he matches them his strength of competition may still put him #3. He may retire before then anyway

Woodley needs this fight more than GSP does, that's for sure. But even Woodley was too scared to call out GSP after beating till.

Koshcheck is not like Woodley, why do people say this. Woodley is way stronger, doesn't seem to be as fluid/comfortable like it's robotic but effective and has better boxing.

Koshcheck had better cardio, and more active offensive wrestling imo.

Power striker , albeit more kickboxing then just boxing..and a wrestler of high quality like Woodley ..I said in my breakdown the opponent's are close to or partially represent each other styles ..koscheck represents a power striker who can wrestle..that's pretty much woodley

I see alot of people , jumping on this narrative that GSP would lose and lose badly to woodley..and that he's some how scaried to fight him.

Let's break this down and try and understand how this is even possible to think.

First there skill set and style..

GSP is a tactical Wrestler with a Karate based striking style, specializing in effective gameplanning and execution of said gameplan

Woodley is a powerful wrestler and primarily a boxing stylist on his feet specializing in both counter wrestling and counter power striker

Now there physical comparison

GSP 5 10 - 170/lbs with a hydration factor of around 19 to 20 pounds putting him around 190
Reach : 76

Woodley 5'9 170lbs and similar hydration level to GSP bringing him 190 +
Reach :74

All in all pretty close physically speaking with the reach going to GSP..a key factor when considering one of George's best weapon is his jab.

Moving on to career breakdown and pedrigee as fighters

Starting first with Common Opponents in this case they share two common opponents

Josh koscheck and Jake shields

GSP
Defeated Josh koscheck twice (decision unnamious both times, broke Josh's orbital bone in the second meeting)

Defeated Jake shields (unanimous)

Woodley

Defeated by Jake shields (decision spilt)

Defeated Josh koscheck (huge k.o)

Although Woodley lost it was a close fight and he also beat koscheck in a fashion GSP could not , that being said GSP was throughly dominate over both fights with koscheck most noticeable he's ability to stop koschecks takedowns while landing his own ..when Josh was considered to be the "better wrestler"

Further career analysis

GSP has consistently beaten fighters who were considered better grapplers or wrestlers them him , a claim most people are saying about Woodley as well as beating some powerful strikers as well.

Here are these two fighters top wins against fighters who represent a part or fully each other's style.

First GSP

Matt Hughes -2 victories ..one a tko finish where he stopped Hughes wrestling and outgrappped and outstruck him from range and a second victory by submission where he throughly outgrappled Hughes and sub him via armbar. ( Hughes is widely regarded as one of the best wrestlers to ever compete in MMA period and has better credentils then Woodley)

Frank Trigg another top level wrestler who has show decent hands ,was beaten by GSP by submission again outgraappling someone who was supposed to be better at it then him.

BJ Penn a grappler who can strike with big power and was a champion at welterweight, GSP shut him down in the rematch for a corner stoppage and made a comeback victory in there first fight despite being lit up in the first round ( BJ again someone considered be a better grapplers and more powerful strikers then gsp just like Woodley)

Jon Fitch - probably the best 170 pound wrestler to ever compete..he was never in the fight agaisnt GSP and at moments looked like an amatuer.( Another top wrestler beaten soundly)

Now Woodley

Kelvin gastelum..woodley fought a tough fight agaisnt kelvin and won, kelvin is a well rounded fighter with a good wrestling base much like GSP

Rory McDonald..Woodley was defeated and beaten badly by Rory McDonald who is a wrestler and teammate of GSP who fights similar to GSP ..albeit alittle taller with more reach

Josh koscheck - great wrestler with decent striking and power didn't last very long and was koed by Woodley ( koscheck wrestling was subpar to GSPs but higher then most and couldnt do anything with it on Woodley)

Nate mardqaurdt - another well rounded wrestler/grappler based fighter who Koed Woodley badly .. mardqaurdt is very similar to GSP size and experience level.

Based on these .. Woodley has been far more inconsistent against fighters similar to GSP then GSP has agaisnt fighters close to Woodleys style..

That being said there always X- Factors in every fight

Xfactors for GSP vs Woodley

GSP- GSPs well rounded fighter style and adaptability makes him extremely hard to predict and prepare for..how many times have we seen him confuse opponents or adjust mid fight to pull out the victory( Hughes,BJ Penn,Nick Diaz)

Woodley- Destructive power in his hands, Woodley posses the ultimate equalizer in his fist and has proven recently that regardless of the round or opponent size he can knock them down a level or out cold. Something GSP would have to be concerned with.

My overall fight assessment

GSP wins by decision or late submission..the gameplan will consist of ranged striking early by GSP getting Woodley to back up agaisnt the cage similarly to how he did against Rory and GSP will proceed to take down woodley through the middle rounds and will either rinse and repeat for the decision or rear naked choke late on a tired Woodley.

Overall GSP has more tools he can use to best Woodley then Woodley does to beat him..

This is my opinion based on the research provided above.

Please discuss

TL: DR isn't valid here but expected as this is sherdog afterall lol
All of this is solid, but you didn't add in "prime" Yes they are almost the same age, but GSP has a lot more wear on him, and that would be a big factor to add in. Mentally it seems Twood is very solid. That is another factor. I don't think he is gonna make a mistake mentally. I have GSP winning if they fought right now, but I would not put money on it.

All of this is solid, but you didn't add in "prime" Yes they are almost the same age, but GSP has a lot more wear on him, and that would be a big factor to add in. Mentally it seems Twood is very solid. That is another factor. I don't think he is gonna make a mistake mentally. I have GSP winning if they fought right now, but I would not put money on it.

I think you could argue both guys are near the end of there primes... But as time goes on this would be more and more of a factor yes I'm speaking within the next 12 months as this could hapoen

Woodley > GSP

If you say otherwise you’re an uneducated casual.
Claims a person favouring GSP is uneducated but fails to educate or provide anything of substance. It’s almost as if the only fight you have seen Woodley in was the Till fight, which provides no evidence as to how a fight between he and GSP would go. I favour Woodley based on fighting age, GSP however has the tools to beat him. Every time one of you fucking morons discredit another’s opinion citing that having a life outside of sherdog makes you stupid shows how sad your life must be.

Woodley is able to fuck up some much lesser fighters than GSP so GSP has no chance at any point in his career, even though he would embarrass all those guys Woodley beat.

Sherdog is so cute, acting like Wonderboy, Till, maia and Lawler are so much better than Fitch, Kos, juiced up Alves, Shields.

Hilarious, to be honest. It would have been close at their peaks. If you think Georges at his best has no chance against Woodley at his best, you didn't pay attention to Georges at his best. I remember the many times people said GSP would get KO'ed. It never happened in any of those fights. None.

I'd pick GSP... I'm biased bc I'm a fan of his.... the real X-factor is his long lay off... he didn't look the same against Bisping (even though that was at 185lbs) … if GSP has been training like he used too, and got all of the ring rust shook I'd pick him. But it'd be close, it's a toss up. I'd say GSP by late sub/tko.

Tyron Woodley.

1st round.

Brutal KO.

There's a reason GSP is avoiding WW like the plague.

Back