In reality, a boxer just has to learn how to wrestle just enough to make takedowns difficult!

Lol are you retarded? MMA was created to find out which style was the best, and guess what boxing got exposed. And wrestlers joined MMA because it's the only form of prize fighting that allows grappling.

Boxing is one of the easiest sports to master, it's not even funny.

Thats such a crock of shit. In boxing you have only two weapons and you need to find a way to make them work in every situation, if you're getting lit up on the feet you can't shoot for a takedown, you have to figure out what your opponent is doing and how to neutralise, all while getting punched in the face and body.

Not saying it's easy, but to fair Toney didn't even try so it's not a fair example. James only showed to pick up a check. Highly doubtful he trained any takedown defense whatsoever.
Wrong. For 3 month he trained noting but TDD and you can see obviously it didn't help.

Disagree sir. You get things like this.

r7umf6.jpg

Lol that doesn't look like someone who trained his TDD.

Randy shot from pretty fucking far. Granted he is a very high level wrestler, but James Toney wasn't even trying.

It worked for Chuck Liddell, Mirko Crocop and Wonderboy for years.
Besides Chuck, those guys have diverse striking that a boxer wouldn't be able to match. And Chuck wrestled for most of his youth, so it's not like he just learned a little TD defense.

Thats such a crock of shit. In boxing you have only two weapons and you need to find a way to make them work in every situation, if you're getting lit up on the feet you can't shoot for a takedown, you have to figure out what your opponent is doing and how to neutralise, all while getting punched in the face and body.
And the fact that you only need to train 2 weapons, and also learn to defend 2 weapons, makes it the kiddie pool of combat sports. Next, please.

It's funny when people act like wrestling is so easy to pick up that you can stop a lifelong wrestler with a little bit of training.

This is like saying "a wrestler just needs to box enough to not get KO'd by a boxer!"

Look at AJ in the first fight with DC (a guy who actually has a wrestling background along with an obscene amount of power). He exhausted himself stifling DC's wrestling in round 1. Then in round 2, DC took over because he was the more comfortable wrestler with better technique.

Having the actual technique to defend TDs and not exhaust yourself quickly is a rare skill, frankly. Most guys use enough technique and then utilize strength from there.

Another example? Look at Cub vs Edgar. Edgar got stuffed plenty in round 1. Cub also exhausted himself trying to stop Edgar's takedowns, and then Edgar took over.

Thinking that learning a little bit of takedown defense is going to work against heavy wrestling based fighters is just laughable.

Yea, but the moment a boxer can wrestle, he becomes a mix martial artist. So there.

And the fact that you only need to train 2 weapons, and also learn to defend 2 weapons, makes it the kiddie pool of combat sports. Next, please.
As if I care about what some keyboard warrior thinks, this isn't street fighter. If only you had any idea how much easier it is to open people up when you can chain so many techniques together. In MMA you usually only have to think one move ahead of your opponent, in boxing its more like 2-3.

What a stupid misleading thread. And responses.

A sprawl does not = take down defense.
A punch does not = boxing.

See?

Sprawling isn't TDD until you are sprawling against a wrestler. A boxer's sprawl will get overturned by a wrestler.
A punching wrestler, will get parried and punched by a boxer.

These fucking threads man.

I can teach a boxer to sprawl much easier than teaching a wrestler how to box.

If someone's a better wrestler than you having a good sprawl won't save you for long.

Fact is someone with pretty much only wrestling is a danger as soon as they clinch or shoot. A boxer is dangerous in boxing range, which is really quite limiting for the boxer.

Eddie Bravo was quoted as saying he knew James didn't train one bit for that fight.

He hatdly trained for his boxing matches.
It wasn't he didn't train for his boxing matches. He just didn't do anything that wasn't sparring. He whole training regiment was sparring.

And who did Eddie bravo have in Toney's camp that let him know that.

Lol are you retarded? MMA was created to find out which style was the best, and guess what boxing got exposed. And wrestlers joined MMA because it's the only form of prize fighting that allows grappling.

Boxing is one of the easiest sports to master, it's not even funny.

This is one of the stupidest post I've seen here. It's not easy to master boxing. Saying it's easy to master shows how ignorant you are about the sport. There has never been an elite boxer, anywhere close to his prime, who's competed in MMA so how exactly did boxing get exposed? There's more money in boxing at the elite level, so we will never see elite boxers in their prime making the move to MMA unless that changes. The elite guys in most other martial arts don't make that kind of money of there's more incentive for them to make the move to MMA. Boxers like Art Jimmerson, Melton Bowen, Butterbean, Marcus Davis, etc. were very low level boxers who's competition was of the lowest level. They either never fought anyone good, or they lost to people nowhere near the top every time they stepped up. Guys like Ray Mercer and James Toney were high level boxers in their prime, but they were both completely washed up in boxing and in their 40's before they fought in MMA. A wrestling base is great for MMA, but it's ridiculous to think that boxing wouldn't produce some great MMA fighters if their was more incentive for the top level younger guys to make the move to MMA.

Lol that doesn't look like someone who trained his TDD.

Randy shot from pretty fucking far. Granted he is a very high level wrestler, but James Toney wasn't even trying.

I'll chime in.I agree with the first part,last might be wrong though.

I don't feel like finding other angles,but to me it looks like Randy got the low single and drove his shoulder forward just under the knee while pulling the foot forward holding the achilles,a painful and very effective single against inexperienced wrestlers who don't know to turn well or turn too late.

I like to block the foot from turning with my forearm on that td but that's neither here nor there.He might not have done that td,maybe Toney just went down,but his reaction leads me to believe Couture had some good pressure in there.I love using that td on people much bigger than me,but not exactly friendly situations as I have fucked up a lot of knees using that.

Yes Toney sucked but there might have been more going on there than you understand.

Oh and this thread shouldn't be wastelanded it should be deleted.

It wasn't he didn't train for his boxing matches. He just didn't do anything that wasn't sparring. He whole training regiment was sparring.

And who did Eddie bravo have in Toney's camp that let him know that.

Yea that's true about Toney.

It was on here anout Bravo back in the day. I don't quite remember all the details.

It worked for Chuck Liddell, Mirko Crocop and Wonderboy for years.

Those guys also had a guard that was serviceable when they got taken down and all three could throw decent to excellent kicks. So does a boxer need to learn how to defend/throw kicks, defend take downs, and develop a serviceable guard?

Oh, wait, I just described an MMA fighter.

Back