In reality, a boxer just has to learn how to wrestle just enough to make takedowns difficult!

There's the entire aspect of clinch fighting, and kicks.

MMA was created because wrestlers couldn't box. Boxing is more lucrative and also more competitive.

I sort of get your point. Mma wasn't created because wrestlers couldn't box though. UFC was specifically created to showcase Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and other forms of mma descended from other forms of TMA. It did grow in popularity with an infusion of wresters because they have no professional option.

There all different sports MMA wrestling is different to actual wrestling just like MMA stand up is different to boxing

TDD is the easiest aspect of MMA to learn, in my opinion.

Disagree sir. You get things like this.

r7umf6.jpg

I sort of get your point. Mma wasn't created because wrestlers couldn't box though. UFC was specifically created to showcase Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and other forms of mma descended from other forms of TMA. It did grow in popularity with an infusion of wresters because they have no professional option.

You are right. But most MMA fighters would gladly tell Dana White to kick rocks if they could box well enough.

I find it funny how untrained people make takedowns sound easy. The average people does NOT
know how to wrestle. Plus, most people are inclined to stand up when they fight. A person who wrestled in high school does not make him Daniel Cormier.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.
Takedowns aren't easy, defending takedowns is as hard if not harder to learn.
If you follow wrestling, you'll notice the biggest difference in the levels of competition is in TD defense.
In HS, a wrestler with a good setup and a couple different shots, will score a TD with pretty good percentage.
In college, it's much more difficult to get the TD on your first shot, you need to chain your techniques together, and win scrambles.
At an international level it's at a whole 'nother level.

Cliff notes: It's arguably tougher to learn elite TD defense, than it is to learn elite TD's.

Last edited:
It worked for Chuck Liddell, Mirko Crocop and Wonderboy for years.
Chuckles was a wrestler before anything else.
Cropcop amd Wand skillset worked better in the confines of the ring.
And even so,Mirko worked with Werdum for years and chutebox had a strong grappling team to support their striking.

I find it funny how untrained people make takedowns sound easy. The average people does NOT
know how to wrestle. Plus, most people are inclined to stand up when they fight. A person who wrestled in high school does not make him Daniel Cormier.

Think about Jose Aldo's God-like TDD. And than think about the fact that he;s been taken down plenty of times before. If Aldo has been taken down.....I don't care if you're the best athlete ever. YOU WILL EVENTUALLY GET TAKEN DOWN.

MMA was created because wrestlers couldn't box. Boxing is more lucrative and also more competitive.

Lol are you retarded? MMA was created to find out which style was the best, and guess what boxing got exposed. And wrestlers joined MMA because it's the only form of prize fighting that allows grappling.

Boxing is one of the easiest sports to master, it's not even funny.

It worked for Chuck Liddell, Mirko Crocop and Wonderboy for years.

Lidell was a wrestler dipshit, a D1 wrestler infact, oh and his TDD did nothing in the 1st Couture fight where he got TKO'd from getting constantly taken down.

CroCop had Werdum live with him for 2 years to do nothing but grapple every single day for hours.

Wonderboy got BADLY exposed by Matt Brown...and Matt Brown is a guy whose wrestling isn't very good. He eventually started training with Weidman to finally up his wrestling after getting grapple fucked by Matt Brown.

Nice try

I have an idea: you could call this style Sprawl and Brawl

Disagree sir. You get things like this.

r7umf6.jpg

Not saying it's easy, but to fair Toney didn't even try so it's not a fair example. James only showed to pick up a check. Highly doubtful he trained any takedown defense whatsoever.

TDD is the easiest aspect of MMA to learn, in my opinion.
Based on what?
Look at guys like Condit, and Diaz's. They been training their whole lives and TDD is probably the single toughest thing for them.
Even guys like Anderson, Cro Cop, Penn and Hunt, who have really really good TDD, it's still not good enough and becomes their Achilles heel at times.

Look at MMA newcomers:
Kimbo vs Nelson: 2 TDA, 0 TDD
Couture vs Toney: 1 TDA, 0 TDD
CM Punk vs Gall: 1 TDA, 0 TDD

TDD ends up being the deciding factor in so many fights, and it's something so many fighters struggle to master.
I think most evidence would put it as the most difficult an nuanced aspect of MMA.

lol someone hasnt trained a day in their life

If you are facing a guy that wants to take you down dont kick dont throw hooks Drill takedown defense and using the jab.A jab can be a powerfull weapon can easily break somebody's nose damage the liver rock that chin.But you got to drill it to perfection.Very hard to defend a quick jab.

Boxing is one of the easiest sports to master, it's not even funny.
Just lol.

Anyways TDD is mostly guys with a real good natural base and instincts. Sure better sprawls and whizzers gonna help but ive never seen someone who was real bad at TDD, get real good by practice - they may get better but not good.

Back