I'm a toonie

Session 10 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
115x5x1
155x3x1
195x2x1
245x5x3

Rough as fuck. I'm thinking I'm sufferng from DOMS from the squats and DL last time plus been doing some landscaping + work thus lack of sleep. But form looked good. Didn't notice any unbalances, depth was good, and knees followed a good path.
---
OHP
45x5x2
55x5x1
70x3x1
85x2x1
105x5x3

These were tough as well, especially last couple reps of last work-set. Realized we have some collars at the gym (0.8lb each) so may start putting those to use.
---
Cleans

working of form with bar. Felt good.
---
Pull-ups
BWx 8, 5, 5

Was pretty spent by the pull-ups plus had to rush them because gym was closing.

June 22, 2010

Session 2 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
95x5x2
135x3x1
175x5x3

Need to find good placement for hands so wrists don't bend too much. Wrists were a little stiff after the worksets.QUOTE]

Good stuff dude keep at it!

With the grip i always go thumbless seems to help me alot
Like this
squat-bar-position.jpg

Yeah, I figured that out and it seems to help. Wrists are pretty neutral and feeling good. Thanks though.

Session 11 of SS

Stomach been feeling queasy for past couple days and I was pretty stiff all over. Decided to not be a pussy and went to the gym and in fact, it was a pretty easy session.

Squats
45x5x2
125x5x1
180x3x1
225x2x1
250x5x3

These were not bad at all. Stomach pain disappeared, and stiffness worked itself out. Form felt good and I think it looked good. I'll try to upload vids tonight. Only concern is my knees felt a little rough after (no pain, just they felt really tight). Need comments on how far my knees are going forward. Once again, I'll get videos up tonight.

---
Bench
45x5x2
85x5x1
115x3x1
145x2x1
175x5x3

Easy sets. Video looks like I'm not getting any leg drive. While setting up, this is when I noticed my knees felt 'rusty' from the squats.

---
Deadlift
135x5x2
185x3x1
225x2x1
260x5x1

Easy cakes. Supervising trainer came over to me right before I was about to deadlift and told me I couldn't go barefoot. Never been approached like this by any of the other people. So when he went away, I just took my shoes off while setting up to deadlift.

---

Overall, awesome workout. Everything felt easy. Stomach queasiness came back after finishing though... sucks..

Session 9 of SS

Squats

1160x3x1

These were tough. Bar appeared crooked/slanted in the videos, like I was using one side of my body (left side) more than the other. I'm going to keep this weight and check it out again.

Well nuts dude. Looking through your log and I find this. You're stronger than I thought you were. Nice stuff man. :)

Also, it sucks starting over on the weights doesn't it? Ofc I respect why you did it and it makes sense. I would have done the same. I always think in the back of my head though, "I could do more than this. This is less than my full capacity right now." But how are correcting the issues going? The caving in and etc? Also, I did not know that was what caving in was so hey, I learned something. Whoo!

Haha, I wish I was lifting 1160 as a warm up. Sadly no.

As for the form corrections. They are going really good. I'm comparing videos of my 260 squat to my current 250. I plan to upload todays session to see what I am missing and what else I can fix.

From the 260 video, my knees were caving in slightly (as far as I understand, this is when my knees start coming together instead of pushing out), my heels were coming off the floor a lot (indicating I was leaning forward too much and i wasn't squatting properly), and my chest was coming up slower than my hips.

In contrast, watching my 250 video from today, my heels are firmly planted. My knees are following nearly the same groove on the ascent as well as the descent, and my chest is coming up at roughly the same speed as the hips so I think its definitely working. And the sets today, although tough, they weren't "oh my fucking god, this is hard", where as the 260 was.

Further, although the deadlift isn't near what I was doing before and being far from perfect, I don't think there's as much lower back rounding, and the descent of the bar is straight, and not going around the knees.

Well that's good man. Sounds like you'll be jumping past 260 pretty soon. And besides, everyone wishes they could lift 1160 lbs as a warmup.For a triple. Maybe its foreshadowing for you that you accidentally typed down.

Session 12 of SS

Wasn't able to get to the gym this weekend. Was a long and busy weekend too... had two early shifts (6:30am-3pm) with the superstore, and then went home to do landscaping/patio work with dad. Didn't have time to eat or sleep much over weekend, so today's work-out wasn't great.

Squats
45x5x2
125x5x1
180x3x1
225x2x1
260x4x1
245x5x2

lol, I can't count. I had planned to do 250 to account for the rough weekend and I put 260 instead and found out afterwards. Felt super heavy and had alot of good morning-ness to it. Slapped it down to 245 and these were tough, but much better. 250 Wednesday.

---
OHP
45x5x2
55x5x1
70x3x1
85x2x1
110x3x1
110x4x2

First work-set I did too soon after the warm-up and thus, failed on the fourth rep with bar over head. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it up, but gave up on myself. Next two sets had grinders on the fourth reps, but got them up with strict form. Failed trying to get them off my delts on the 5th reps though haha. Was pretty happy about these. Will repeat 110 on Friday.

---
Chin-ups
BWx 10, 7, 5

Biceps were sore after. Haven't done any gunz work-outs in awhile.

--

Notes to self, sleep more and eat more. Should be able to, since the patio work is done (finally!).

Session 13 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
125x5x1
180x3x1
225x2x1
250x5x3

Felt tightness in my right groin area and right knee during warm-ups. Both were a little stiff/sore. First work set, knee felt good, groin still tight. Second work set I noticed my stance was a bit wider than usual and my knees were caving slightly. Third work-set narrowed my stance a bit, and everything felt good. Was a much easier set.

---
Bench
45x5x2
95x5x1
120x3x1
155x2x1
180x5x3

Pretty easy sets. Lower back was a little sore (good now) after from the arching. Not sure if that's normal or not.

---
Deadlift
135x5x2
205x3x1
245x2x1
275x5x1

These were tough but not killer. Can def pull more. Form looked good.

Last edited:
Well nice vid. Deadlifts looked great. No problems there. Course I'm not the best authority on them lol but still, they looked pretty good. Good set up and not bouncing the reps. Also, nice job on squatting in socks. That was pretty cool.

Session 14 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
130x5x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
255x5x3

Back was a little stiff from deadlifts on Wednesday. I didn't go as deep as a I usually do, but still went a bit past parallel (videos). Knees didn't cave in. All three sets felt pretty light.

---
OHP
45x5x2
55x5x1
70x3x1
85x2x1
110x5x3

Boo yeah! Completed all the reps. First set was easy. Second set was pretty easy, with the 5th rep being a little tough. Third set was challenging, with the 4th rep being tough and the 5th rep being a grinder. Basically the weight didn't want to move when I was half way to locking out, but I willed it up.

---
Pull-ups
BW+15x 5, 4, 3.5

Just failed getting chin over bar on the last rep.

--

I think I am going to switch to Practical Programming Novice Program. I doubt I'd be able to handle deadlifting twice a week, and I really want the opportunity to work on my presses more as well as my chin ups/pullups. Will decide later.

I started doing Practical Programming long before I was due for it but managed to make it work once I realized what was entailed in "eating enough." With your numbers now, I think you'd be fine with it. It's a solid program and the oppourtunity for max effort lifts every week is fun and very motivating. I say go for it.

On a side note, on bench did you touch every rep to your chest in that video? It could just be the camera angle but it looked like you were stopping short...

Yeah its the angle in the video. I've been touching my chest with the bar pretty much forever when benching. I'll probably get a video at a better angle next time, because even I think it looks like I don't touch my chest lol.

I've decided to see how deadlifting twice this coming week is going to feel (monday and friday of this week). From that, I'll decide if I should switch or not.

Session 15 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
135x5x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
260x5x3

Groin a little tight on right side for first set. Felt a little off balance, but felt easy enough. Second set was good and balanced. Third set forward lean on first rep, rest looked fine. Video is first and third set.

---
Bench
45x5x2
95x5x1
120x3x1
155x2x1
185x5x3

First work set was tough because wasn't tight. Second two were soooo easy. Video is second set.

---
Deadlift
135x5x2
205x3x1
255x2x1
285x5x1

Tough.. but felt good.

Last edited:
Awesome. Good work. I'm not sure how concerned you are about this but I think you could get more arch on your bench. You seem to be progressing well on it though, so do whatever's comfortable. Keep it up.

Awesome man. You're getting up there dude. And I should be getting to the gym because you're going to surpass me pretty soon o.o

haha, nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. Our numbers are very close, with you having the slight edge on most of them.

I don't know how soon I'll be hitting 135x5 on the press for all my work-sets though. Press is fucking tough!! We'll see how it goes with 115 today lol.

You guys should see who gets to 1000lbs total first!

Good consistent lifting toonie. Press is probably most people's weakest link so don't sweat it.

Session 16 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
135x5x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
265x5x3

These felt so easy. No DOMS whatsoever from Monday. Maybe the two cups of coffee beforehand helped..

---
OHP
45x5x2
60x5x1
75x3x1
90x2x1
115x5x3

These were way easy too. Last work-set had a grinder on last rep, but other sets were nice.. I think it was the coffee again.. going to drink some again before Friday's workout.

---
Chin-ups
BW+15x 7, 5, 4

Shoulder Hell (Super-set with chins)
5lb each arm x 2 sets (after first and second chins)

Yeah, these probably hampered my chins a bit, but gotta fix the shoulder, and hopefully this helps.

--

Last edited:
Back