I'm a toonie

Session 17 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
135x5x1
190x3x1
245x2x1
270x5x3

First two sets were easy. Third set was tough, and some guy knocked over my phone while recording (doesn't know how to watch where hes walking) so I couldn't see where form was falling apart. It felt like a little too much GMing of 4th rep of last set.

---
Bench
45x5x2
95x5x1
120x3x1
155x2x1
190x5x3

All easy. Was nice and tight throughout all work-sets.
---
Deadlift
135x5x2
205x3x1
255x2x1
295x4x1

Tough.. but form looked good. I probably could have rested a bit longer after 4th rep (10 more seconds or so) and might have been able to get last rep. ahh well.

--
too lazy to get videos off camera.. such a lengthy process

Last edited:
This is what i think

liar.jpg

Session 18 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
135x5x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
275x5x3

First set was tough but felt good. Second set felt some lumbar rounding. I think tail tuck? Can work on pushing knees out a bit more. Third set has a better angle to see overall form. I am not too familiar with tail tuck, but am I doing that a bit?

---
OHP
45x5x2
60x5x1
80x3x1
100x2x1
120x5, x4, x3

Yikes these were tough. 3 missed reps means I am doing this weight again.

---
Pull-ups
BW+15x 7, 5, 5

---
Shoulder Hell
5lb each arm x 2 sets

--

Very strong squatting! Your bar speed is very fast too, even on the last set which is sweet! I'm a bit jealous.

It does look like you have a small bit of tail tuck but it isn't a major concern. Your squat looks similar to mine in that, when your form begins to break down, your hips want to rise first. Apparently this is generally due to weak hams and glutes. The two things that I find help my squat most (Aside from more squatting :p) are front squats and hamstring work like RDLs or GHRs. Perhaps it is time for you to switch to Texas Method with a lighter front squat on the wednesday? I strongly encourage you to do the Texas Method. It's a lot lot of fun!

EDIT: My squat has fallen apart lately (I think due to lack of frequency), so take my advice with a grain of salt.

^I thought the post brought lulz since, as you mentioned, I have videos. I just assumed the guy was post whoring (I think he's in the range of 25 posts a day?) and clicked on the most updated thread from SnP. Too bad the post doesn't count towards his total.

As for the Texas Method idea, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind and see how my work-outs go over the next week or so. Was reading up on the program (from the wiki) and it does seem interesting, but I am wondering if I should continue with SS as long as possible and consider the advanced novice program that rip has in mind?

Someone around my size, lifting so much more than me.

Just lets me know how weak I really am, and how much more time I need to spend in the gym! haha

Good work in here.

Thanks, I've gained like 10 lbs since I last updated my body weight. Your deadlift seems to be lacking compared to your squat. You might wanna try cutting out the squats on your deadlift day.

^I thought the post brought lulz since, as you mentioned, I have videos. I just assumed the guy was post whoring (I think he's in the range of 25 posts a day?) and clicked on the most updated thread from SnP. Too bad the post doesn't count towards his total.

As for the Texas Method idea, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind and see how my work-outs go over the next week or so. Was reading up on the program (from the wiki) and it does seem interesting, but I am wondering if I should continue with SS as long as possible and consider the advanced novice program that rip has in mind?

That's a good point. You are still making steady gains week to week so there probably isn't much point in changing until you stall/plateau on your lifts. You've managed to carry the gains in starting strength a lot further than I was able to. How much do you eat in a day, generally?

Perhaps it is time for you to switch to Texas Method with a lighter front squat on the wednesday? I strongly encourage you to do the Texas Method. It's a lot lot of fun!

My squat is horrible, but i like the rep scheme and setup for squating with the texas method. I like front squatting on training sessions between back squating sessions, get plenty of squatting in but i never feel to DOMS-y to do the day's workout.

Nice lifting. A tiny bit of tail tucking but not a big deal. Add some weight to the bar!

Thanks for all the tips/support guys.

How much do you eat in a day, generally?

Typically, I eat more as the day progresses. My breakfasts are usually not too big (i.e a couple bagels, 2-3 glasses of milk) because I choose the extra sleep. Up until noon I munch on almonds/pecans/some fruits like blueberries, peaches. Slip in a sandwich/wrap or something in there. Have some yogurt and fruit/nuts at noon. Eat another sandwich/rice and meats+veggies/pasta around 2. PWO Shake and a sandwich/wrap, get home down a few glasses of milk, usually make myself up a bowl of rice and eggs and veggies, then supper around 9-10 and more milk.

Your deadlift seems to be lacking compared to your squat. You might wanna try cutting out the squats on your deadlift day.

Yeah I noticed that as well. However, I think I've decided to stick with SS the way it is for now. Once I have officially stalled on my deadlifts I'll switch to The Practical Programming Advanced Novice Program which introduces front squats on DL day. Also, according to squatsquatsquat, front squats should also help me with my back squat.

I like front squatting on training sessions between back squating sessions, get plenty of squatting in but i never feel to DOMS-y to do the day's workout.

Ever since my last severe DOMS session, I've introduced contrast showers and they have helped so far.

Add some weight to the bar!

lulz, that's the plan every work-out.

Session 19 of SS

Squats
45x5x2
135x5x1
190x3x1
245x2x1
280x5x3

First set was tough. Second set was experimenting with where I was looking and looking slightly up seemed to help. Third set, as you can see, I failed last rep. If I didn't give up, probably would have got it up. Lower back felt tight before second and third set (that's why you see me stretching it a bit). Not sure if I want to repeat this, or proceed cautiously.
---

Bench
45x5x2
95x5x1
135x3x1
165x2x1
195x5x3

First set easy (recorded). Second set was tough, and didn't feel tight. Third set was tough, but felt tight. Good spotter really helped.
---

Deadlift
135x5x2
205x3x1
255x2x1
295x5x1 (hook)

Tough.. but I think the form looked good.

--

Last edited:
Sweet. I'd repeat that next workout. You'll nail it no problem, then go up from there. It's awesome that you haven't stopped progressing on SS yet.

Session 20 of SS

Squats
45x5
45x5
135x5
190x3
245x2
280x5 - These were tough. Nice and deep. Not much tail tuck.
280x5 - Tried just going a bit past parallel and not quite as deep to experiment. Felt just as hard.
280x5 - Just went back to ATG. A little bit of tail tuck, but much better than last time.

Overall, squats felt good but challenging. Felt really low on energy today.

---
OHP
45x5
45x5
60x5
80x3
100x2 - Right shoulder pain (my bad shoulder) on descent. I blamed the wider grip than usual.
120x5 - Tough. Narrow grip, shoulder fine.
120x4 - Couldn't even attempt 5th rep.
120x4 - Failed half way on 5th rep. Disappointed.

---
Chin-ups
BW+15x 8, 6, 4

---
Shoulder Hell
8lb each arm x 1
5lb each arm x 1

--

No video today. Squats looked and felt good. Lower back wasn't quite as shot as last time so I think that means better form? Also, got my Inzer Belt today. Pretty stoked to try it out on Thursday.

280x5x3 on a day where you're low on energy is freaking great! Good job.

I was gonna tell you your overhead is soft but then I realized I have about 30-35 lbs of body weight on you and felt bad about it. :icon_lol: Keep training hard.

Session 21 of SS

Squats
45x5
45x5
135x5
190x3
(belted)
245x2 - I like the belt!
285x5 - Easy
285x5 - Easy
285x5 - Easy

My god, all the squats felt so easy. Don't know if it was the belt, or the coffee right before the work-out. Everything just felt so good. Great depth, awesome bar speed, and lower back looked pretty good. Vids to be uploaded later.
---

Bench
45x5
45x5
95x5
135x3
165x3
200x5 - Tough. Spotter was a little to generous with lift-off.
200x5 - Better lift off, easier.
200x5 - Tough. Different spotter.. told me to do one more rep :rolleyes:

Was talking to a guy who noticed me squatting. He's also into powerlifting (cool!) and was giving me some tips on bench. He helped give me some pointers on leg drive and breathing (basically trying to hold my breath as much as possible on the work-sets). Told my to really bring in my shoulders (pinch upper back together more) more and really drive my heels into the ground and my upper back into the bench. I'll work on this.
---

Deadlift
135x5
135x5
205x3
255x2
(belted)
305x5 (hook) - Easy!
345x1 (hook) - This was easy too! Sweet.

Was itching to try and max out, so cautiously tried 345. Form looked good I think. Vids of squats and DL's to be uploaded later.

--

Last edited:
Session 22 of SS

Squats
45x5
45x5
135x5
195x3
245x2
(belted)
290x5 - These were easy.
290x5 - These were a bit tougher. Started feeling DOMS-y from deadlifts.
290x5 - Tough. Really DOMS-y after.

---
OHP
45x5
45x5
60x5
80x3
100x2
(belted)
120x5 - Felt nice and tight with the belt.
120x5 - Easy
120x5 - Tougher, but not too challenging.

---
Pull-ups
BW+15x 8, 5, 5

Was so tired today, got lazy and didn't do any shoulder rehab.
--

No video today. Only filmed squats and they looked and felt fine.

Session 23 of SS

Squats
45x10
135x5
195x3
255x2
(belted)
295x5 - Not bad. Felt off balance, but video looked fine. Belt felt weird today.
295x5 - Tough. Couldn't really see it in video as i was watching heels and knees, but there was tail tuck. i felt it. Knees caving ever so slightly, but not badly.
295x5 - Tough. Depth looked good, and lower back looked better. 9 min rest helped lol.

Overall, squats felt good. Belt felt... really tight though.
---

Bench
45x5
45x5
95x5
135x3
175x3
205x5 - Good spot (thanks ZisDeadBaby). Easy.
205x5 - Terrible spot. Told guy to take his fingers off bar. He looked offended.
205x5 - Good spot again (from ZisDeadBaby). Tough, but not too bad. Left hamstring cramped up after 4th rep. That sucked lol.
---

Deadlift
135x5
135x5
205x3
265x2
(belted)
315x4 (hook) - Forgot hook on first rep. Reps looked good. Fail on fifth. Video shows terrible lumbar rounding, and i definitely felt it. Should have set up better and not rushed the last rep. Probably would have got it.

--
Maybe on the videos. Probably not though. Lazy.

Back