If You Were Mayor Of Your City What Would You Do?

Are you sure this already isn't happening? Many localities already have these type of stipulations where in order to receive benefits you have to be either working, going to school or do community service.
Not in St. Louis. I work at an apartment complex that's mostly section 8. Literally one person is truly handicapped. None of them have jobs or do community service. These people even have free rides too. Some of them even have free cleaning ladies. One lady pretends like she's blind, but she's not. One lady trades her food stamps for beer. If you saw these people, you'd wonder how in the world they're on welfare.

Honestly though, section 8 people are the best people to rent to. It's guaranteed money because it's coming from tax payers

Our mayor is a guy around my age after years of older people with antiquated ideas. He's done two things that were solid - provide incentives for downtown businesses to upgrade their exterior and securing a grant for blight elimination (tear down old houses). A big issue we have now is retail storefronts remaining vacant since retail is such a tough gig. There has to be a creative way to provide incentives for businesses to move into those or to upgrade that building for a purpose beyond retail.

Hmm that's interesting, those are ideas I can support.

My black shirts will round up all suspicious people and send them to the Gulag.

Well, the thing that is so great about a position like Mayor is that it is super important and you can really make a difference for better or worse. You have the opportunity to shape your city, your surroundings. To me that sounds amazing. Plus there is no qualifications to be Mayor, you could be a high school drop out, you could be young, and it doesn't cost millions of dollars to campaign. The important things are your ideas and your ability to promote your self and get your name out to the people so you can get on the ballot.
In fairness it doesn't cost millions to run for office in England, I'm pretty sure that's an American thing.

An idea I will pitch is there is a location near me, a university plaza. There is a collage, then sub shops, McDonalds, a grocery, a coffee shop, a game store, and a clothing store. There is a homeless problem, they are all over the place in this area that I am speaking about. The harass people by pan handling, they beg for free food, the sit in these coffee shops and fast food restaurants all day , taking up 60% of seats, a lot of people don't want to go to these places because they don't want to deal with them. So I would build a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. 3 meals a day would be provide by volunteer workers, there will also be 16 beds/mattresses minimum for these people. This would improve quality of life for these people, on top of creating better business by more people feeling more comfortable to go to these places and more seats being open. Business would increase significantly.

Gentleman, how would you guys go about decreasing crime? What would you do about your city economy? How about your improving your neighborhoods, housing, parks, and such?
I just realized I have no complaints about my city at all, and I couldn't do a better job than my mayor. If I had to nitpick, it would be the congested traffic and high property tax, but that is the price you pay to live in a desirable location.

I would remove the bike permit law which is selectively enforced to harass black men. I would remove the law against feeding homeless people. Those are just two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more...

Gentleman, how would you guys go about decreasing crime? What would you do about your city economy? How about your improving your neighborhoods, housing, parks, and such?
What if citizens were actually awarded for obeying the laws? Maybe by offering them bigger tax refunds of giving tax breaks. Seems like it could prevent so much tax money from being wasted on housing inmates. Also it could help stimulate the economy with the extra disposable income. Possibly even have random drawings & stuff for citizens who don't break any laws.

Coming from a law abiding critizen, I love the idea.

Last edited:
Rob Ford set the template. I will do nothing but follow the path that this trailblazer has illuminated.

Shower with a teenage girl and then build the Kings a new arena.

Hmm that's interesting, those are ideas I can support.

The unpopular one that I'd do is adjust the hours for the City employees. Full time employees at City Hall literally only work 32 hours a week. M, T, Th, Fr are 8-4 with an hour lunch. Wednesday is 8-noon with afternoons off. The kicker is they get paid roughly $5k more a year than County employees (courthouse mainly) who work 35 hours. Ideally they'd work 40 hours, and my guess is that we could eliminate a couple employees for the budget.

We actually hired an employee from City Hall. She worked for two weeks before heading back mainly because we work 40 hours here. How the hell are you going to compete with a place that only works 32 hours?

An idea I will pitch is there is a location near me, a university plaza. There is a collage, then sub shops, McDonalds, a grocery, a coffee shop, a game store, and a clothing store. There is a homeless problem, they are all over the place in this area that I am speaking about. The harass people by pan handling, they beg for free food, the sit in these coffee shops and fast food restaurants all day , taking up 60% of seats, a lot of people don't want to go to these places because they don't want to deal with them. So I would build a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. 3 meals a day would be provide by volunteer workers, there will also be 16 beds/mattresses minimum for these people. This would improve quality of life for these people, on top of creating better business by more people feeling more comfortable to go to these places and more seats being open. Business would increase significantly.
And what is your plan to motivate the homeless? You can't just feed & shelter them forever. Also you have to make them earn it somehow. Teaching them to rely on you will never get them anywhere in life.

1) Declare independence as a sovereign city-state

2) Appoint myself God Emperor for life

3)???

4) Profit

I will legalize prostitution, and partake in it myself. I will let everyone open carry weapons of any kind.

Legalize prostitution

Legalize weed

Legalize gambling

HD cameras on every corner. Anything crime related that is done outside will be recorded

I would tell the council to stop approving so many high rise luxury condos that nobody in this poor ass city can afford to live in. Also, to loosen up the restriction on building heights in the "historic" downtown core and stop crushing fledgling businesses with all the asinine red tape.

I'd also give up the pipe dream of trying to build a stadium for a CFL or other major league sports team franchise in the city.

Back