If you think Gustafsson beat Jones...

I thought Gus extremely clearly won 3 rounds, but if I rewatched it I could probably see it the other way. Why are we talking about this again? The fight happened five years ago and Jones has made a mockery of himself since then.

How pissed should Gus be knowing that the fight was so close, was for the belt, and that JJ is a proven cheater...

That dude messed up the lives of DC and Gus.

Was cheering for Gus but had
Jones clear cut 3 -2. It was a hail marry spinning elbow that turned the tides at the end in his favor.

Watching live...
I recall at the end of that fight I had no idea who was going to get their hand raised.
I had Gus certainly ahead after 3 rounds and on his way to winning the 4th, when Jones landed that monster elbow late in the 4th round.
Without that moment, Jones likely loses the decision.
That was a close fight, and probably should have been scored 48-47 across the board, with the 4th rd being the round that determined the winner.

Love Gus, but I think Jones won just barely. Would love to see a rematch someday if Jones ever returns.

If you want my opinion, I think it could have gone either way. Jones/Gus was more controversial than GSP/Hendricks. Both fights are a prime example of possible flaws in the standard round scoring system. Both Hendricks and Jones owned the most damaging and significant parts of the fight, but I could also see where you could have given 3 rounds to both Gus and GSP. I honestly think it’s a good thing that some judges are becoming more liberal with 10-8 rounds these days.

Last edited:
Even if you think he did, you're still wrong.

It's my favorite fight of all time, I think it's the greatest fight of all time, and it was a draw. Gus wins rematch when Jon isn't on PEDs though.

Close close fight. I truly feel if Jones didn’t land that spinning elbow on Gus in the 4th, he would have lost the decision. 48-47 for either guy are acceptable scores in my mind. Damn that spinning hellbow was crazy!!

He didn’t win the 4th until the spinning hellbow.

The most significant strike of the round and the entire fight and the only moment when one of the fighters got woobly

I have a connection to a cage side doctor to this fight and he told me both fighters were given no fly restrictions in the days following the fights due to their injuries. Gus had a super bad concussion allegedly. Doctor also said they had never seen two fighters so badly injured from a fight.

But what has he achieved in MMA, the truest form of fighting.

It’s like someone proclaiming a footballer who can only pass the ball really well a great footballer

Loma is an incredible boxer, but boxing is only one aspect of fighting.
Exactly!!!! I don’t know why people call boxers fighters! For example, their goat couldn’t even touch the top 5 striker Conor! I could see recognizing them as fighters if their goat was at least competitive! It seemed unfair that the ufc would send a 40 year old midget who retired 3 years Ago after boxings current champ champ! Right?! Oh wait...... my bad, they are fighters

Gus was winning until PED Jones took over in the later rounds.

Back