If Stipe beats Cain, is he the greatest UFC HW of all time?

Yeah holy fuck it just might happen, Stipe hit his prime at the perfect time in the aging heavyweight division. He's coming to shatter big Tims title defense record lol.
Its kinda like Rocky Marciano

49-0 right? But anyone who knows anything about boxing history places him in the bottom half of the top 10 ATG hw's in terms of resume.

Why? Because his biggest wins are against legends who were WAYYYYY over the hill or Light Heavyweight Legends most of them were even over the hill.

Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Archie Moore etc.

Sucks for him because he beat the best available but thats life.

beating Cain now proves nothing multiple back surgeries on top of all the knee issues I'd rank a Cain win alot higher then if Stipe wins.

This.

I think one thing that hurts Stipe in terms of legacy is that if these wins were coming 5 or 6 years ago they would've been a hell of a lot more impressive.

-Overeem, werdum, hunt, and jds aren't at their peaks anymore. Stipe is obviously very good, but still, hes a fighter of great timing, same as weidman was, so these wins obviously mean a lot less than they would've years go.
I agree, to a point. Wins against Hunt, Arlovski, JDS, and now Cain would be solid, but they would also be against past-prime fighters. I disagree about Werdum; at the time of their fight, Werdum was clearly on the best stretch of his career. Also, you can make the argument that Ecoreem is the best version of Overeem that we've seen.

Overall, it's difficult to gauge Stipe's historical relevance. He's a great HW who came along at a time when the previous generation was getting long in the tooth and the new generation is void of blue chip prospects. To truly pinpoint his place in history, I think we'll need a few more years to see where his career goes from here.

its too bad what timmy became. There was a time ( my old school mma fellow sherdoggers might remember) where tim was the scariest hw around. Especially after he kod ricco rodriguez for the world title

Timmeh is so far the greatest...Cain is the best with Stipe 2nd.

Who are the 5 ahead? I could see an argument for Fedor and Nog I guess but other than that?
Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop all ahead for sure. JDS beat him the first time but an argument could be made that Stipe came into his own after that fight.

IMO Werdum and Reem are better fighters than him, they just happen to be a few years older and far more war torn at this point.

Stipe would probably beat prime Barnett but you never know. Barnett just might leg lock him.

A younger Arlovski could possibly catch Stipe before he catches him but Arlovski's chin and defense has always been a liability.

I would favor Sergei and Aleks over Stipe if it stays on the feet but he would probably just take them down with his wrestling.

Shane Carwin vs Stipe would be exciting.

Brock could probably double leg Stipe at will but then again Brock was probably never clean.

I will be very impressed if Stipe beats Cain. He will be very close to top 5 and it will be debatable at that point I admit. He is a great HW. I would still put him at like 6 or 7 because it is just hard to get over the fact he is ko'ing a bunch of zombies.

For him to be the best hw I think he needs to fight werdum again. Werdum literally put his hands down and ran at him. If he beats werdum again than he's prob goat hw.

No he needs a couple fights with zuluzinho and Hong man choi in between their first then we can start talking

yup.
If he beats Cain, they better book an immediate superfight with DC.
(If DC beats Jones of course)

No he needs a couple fights with zuluzinho and Hong man choi in between their first then we can start talking

You forgot thick-skull Fujita and Egidijus Valavicius. And also TK when he was 36, lol.

Back