If Stipe beats Cain, is he the greatest UFC HW of all time?

Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop all ahead for sure. JDS beat him the first time but an argument could be made that Stipe came into his own after that fight.

IMO Werdum and Reem are better fighters than him, they just happen to be a few years older and far more war torn at this point.

Stipe would probably beat prime Barnett but you never know. Barnett just might leg lock him.

A younger Arlovski could possibly catch Stipe before he catches him but Arlovski's chin and defense has always been a liability.

I would favor Sergei and Aleks over Stipe if it stays on the feet but he would probably just take them down with his wrestling.

Shane Carwin vs Stipe would be exciting.

Brock could probably double leg Stipe at will but then again Brock was probably never clean.

I will be very impressed if Stipe beats Cain. He will be very close to top 5 and it will be debatable at that point I admit. He is a great HW. I would still put him at like 6 or 7 because it is just hard to get over the fact he is ko'ing ?
sergei a leks? hahaha

This.

I think one thing that hurts Stipe in terms of legacy is that if these wins were coming 5 or 6 years ago they would've been a hell of a lot more impressive.

-Overeem, werdum, hunt, and jds aren't at their peaks anymore. Stipe is obviously very good, but still, hes a fighter of great timing, same as weidman was, so these wins obviously mean a lot less than they would've years go.

Was Werdum out of his prime when he beat Cain? If so, can you tell me when he was demonstrably better? You can't say that Hunt isn't at his peak because when he was in his physical prime, he had little TD or sub defense. Overeem isn't the Uber anymore but he's still a pretty huge win and besides, prime Ubereem couldn't exist under USADA.

Maybe, after he avenges his loss to Struve and whoever else beat him.

Lol. Fedor had already cleared out the entire HW division. There were no other contenders to fight.

Zulu was actually undefeated at 7-0 with 7 KO's (and 400 pounds) when he stepped into the ring with Fedor. He was one of the only guys on a winning streak that Fedor hadnt already beat. Could you imagine Stipe accepting a fight against a 400 pound undefeated KO artist that was the son of a legendary fighter in Brazil? Fedor wasnt scared and destroyed him.

Nobody wanted to fight Hong Man Choi. He was 7 feet tall and 400 pounds. Fedor took that risky fight, took some damage from massive hammerfists but managed to get the win.

Fedor fought Valavicius 3 weeks after he just won the world title against Nog!!! Three weeks!!! Could you imagine Stipe fighting three weeks after he just fought a title fight? Hell No. Stipe was doing parades and basketball game appearances in Cleveland for several weeks.

He fought Fujita only two months after that and Goodridge only two months after that. You guys have no idea how active Fedor was. He beat a few so-so names in between his big fights, yes, but he would have already fought twice by now in the time Stipe has been resting from the Reem fight.

And TK was just to give Fedor revenge. Same way UFC made Chuck/Horn, Chuck/Rampage, Brock/Mir 2 and Bisping/Hendo 2 and so on.
Fedor's JMMA career had been great and he took a lot of chances which are currently extremely underrated. He fought SHWs, kickboxing and grappling legends between top MMA fights.

But Fedor was terrible at marketing himself. These days promotions make rankings that are respected by journalists and ensure their champs stay undefeated as long as possible. That is why nobody would consider (today) Fedor as the best fighter. His current losses do not help the case either. He is definitely the best JMMA fighter but it does not mean much for most except older fans of PRIDE.

Yep. And after Cain he might have a warrior in Ngannou waiting. Heavyweight is looking good at the moment.

Back