IBJJF refereeing at it's best, NOT!

TS, If that rule is legit then why are you faulting the referee for doing what he is supposed to do?

Don't get me wrong, its a crappy rule but you can't fault the referee for enforcing it.

its a rule, and tbh complaining about copping an accidental kick to the head should be a DQ

It seemed a little premature to me. It also looked as if the ref was already perturbed with Jared, hench he stuck it to him?

It seemed a little premature to me. It also looked as if the ref was already perturbed with Jared, hench he stuck it to him?

agreed, ref did not like him... but he is a top level competitor and i am surpisied he was complainig about the kick

It is listed as Minor Penalty

6.5.10 When an athlete speaks to the referee during a match. on page 25.

7.4.2 Minor penalties are not cumulative between them and only infractions of the same kind will effectuate the escalating penality sequence addressed in clause 7.4.1 page 26.

Last edited:

Ref may have viewed it as a verbal submission?

Disclaimer: I am advocating neither for nor against the decision made by the referee.

First of all, blue acted like a little bitch talking to the ref as much as he could. Would have pissed me off too. Second of all, you'd think a black belt might read the rules.

The rule was instated in complaints that Brazilians would often speak in Portuguese to the refs. It is a fantastic rule and a step toward professionalism in the sport.

I skipped to near the end of the match, but I think it might have been premature (or at least the way the ref scored it, it was).

If Jared did not have any other penalties on the score board, then the order should have been this:

1st time talking: Ref raises right hand at a 90* angle, signifying a warning for penalty on that athlete.
2nd time talking: Penalty marked, advantage for opponent.
3rd time talking: penalty marked, two points to opponent.
4th infraction: DQ.

Minor penalties only count in succession with the same infraction, so he would have had to speak four times to the referee. He exceeds this in the little that I saw, but I did not see the ref marking it.

Either way that kick was an accident and not hard at all (good soccer acting though), he was complaining about grips instead of being a good competitor, and all in all whiney. How this thread is in support of his actions at this match I do not understand.*

*He could be a great guy, I don't know, my entire view of him was the last 1:39 of this video.

Ref may have viewed it as a verbal submission?

Disclaimer: I am advocating neither for nor against the decision made by the referee.

at 4.00 the ref crosses his arms and point at blue gi to indicate he is dq

7.4.2 Minor penalties are not cumulative between them and only infractions of the same kind will effectuate the escalating penality sequence addressed in clause 7.4.1 page 26.

yeah but he actually complained about the kick, i can see thet as being a verbal tap

Are we talking about the accidental foot to face contact at 3:43? Wow, unless it was incredibly harder than it looked, that seemed like a pretty lame thing to complain about especially when you almost have a triangle locked in.

Simple misapplication of a rule, seems like. Also apparent lameness by Jared Weiner. I don't think much more can be said.

Apparently you guys haven't heard about his new DVD set "Operation: Whine to the Ref".

I compete in IBJJF toruament and i like them a lot

but this is BS. Alright, Jared might be too "sensitive", but that alone did not deserve a DQ.

Should have carted him off in the whambulance.

ok ok ok that was so f'n lame on my part. :redface:

yeah but he actually complained about the kick, i can see thet as being a verbal tap

The issue is that you cannot talk to the ref. each time you do it, ref will signal it. Warming, advantages, 2 points, then dq. He does not announce why he is giving the advantages or points away. Which can be misleading. Not even sure if he gave any advantages or points away in fact. And that were the problem is.

I can see a DQ if he insulted or offended the referee. That's in the rules. So unless we know the dialogue, we won't know. I asked my friend who's a coordinator that says that the ref in the video is a solid one, and his best guess is an insult to warrant that DQ. Based on the rest of the video, I wouldn't put it past blue.

The issue is that you cannot talk to the ref. each time you do it, ref will signal it. Warming, advantages, 2 points, then dq. He does not announce why he is giving the advantages or points away. Which can be misleading. Not even sure if he gave any advantages or points away in fact. And that were the problem is.

Not verbally saying why is unnecessary and confusing. It's not my job to tell you what penalty you're breaking, you should know the rules before we're in the middle of a match. Refs from all over the world, ref competitors from all over the world, in venues all over the world. We cannot be expected to be multilingual so gesture-only reffing is being instated. It's Jared's fault for not knowing to keep his mouth shut (and not doing so out of general sportsmanlike principal).

Back