IBJJF refereeing at it's best, NOT!

Hillary, attack the point not the man, it'll get you a lot further.

I don't think he got DQed for talking, looked to me like he was very obviously faking injury and he probably got DQed for that

I think that guy was being a cry baby complaining, but wtf with refs in ibjjf? In EVERY other sport including combat sports part of the refs job is to listen to the competitors and coaches/cornermen.

When the ref in any other combat sport is missing something the cornerman/coach is free to let the ref know and so is the the competitor. Whether the ref acts on it is up to them, but still disqualifying someone for complaining to the ref is pathetic.

If the corner or competitor is HARASSING the ref then it's justified to take a point or DQ.

That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ
did you just make up this fact yourself?

wtf with refs in ibjjf? In EVERY other sport including combat sports part of the refs job is to listen to the competitors and coaches/cornermen.

When the ref in any other combat sport is missing something the cornerman/coach is free to let the ref know and so is the the competitor. Whether the ref acts on it is up to them, but still disqualifying someone for complaining to the ref is pathetic.

If the corner or competitor is HARASSING the ref then it's justified to take a point or DQ.

That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ
I have never reffed for an IBJJF event. It's not my place to say whether the guy deserved to be DQ'd. I wasn't the ref. I thought it was a bit extreme, but the guy was also acting like a baby. Maybe, next time he will think twice about acting that way. In the end, the ref made a decision, and he is the final voice on the matter.

Also, I don't see what is p*ssy about wanting to be able to do your job and not be distracted or harassed. A couple of months ago I reffed a tournament and some guy kept telling me to give points to his teammate. It was distracting me from watching the action. I finally had to turn around and explain to the guy why I didn't give the guy points. He said, ''Oh, okay, yeah''. Well then why the hell did he even open his mouth in the first place? It's distracting see?

Anyway, I will probably never ref another tournament. Comps turn many people into raging d-bags. After reffing, I definitely have a new respect for refs. It also helped me to look at my own behavior, and made me think about things I have gotten angry over in the past (I have never argued with anyone though). I'll just stick with competing, and when I lose, complaining to my teammates saying how I got robbed :)

Last edited:
I def deserved the DQ I shoulda kept my mouth shut. No excuses for me. I made the mistake and I payed for it.

Live and learn.

JW

I def deserved the DQ I shoulda kept my mouth shut. No excuses for me. I made the mistake and I payed for it.

Live and learn.

JW
None of us are perfect. Great, positive outlook on the situation. Kudos, my man.

The ref did nothing wrong here. Hilliary is correct I should be more aware of the rules as a high level competitor. It wont happen again. Like I said, live and learn. Reffing is a super tough job they get beat up all day by coaches and fans the last thing they need is to get talked to by the competitors. I was real pissed at myself after this one.

As a ref, competitor, coach, and student, I can assure you: this will not happen in modern IBJJF tournaments. Now, I'm not perfect. None of us are. I didn't start out BJJ as a black belt, same goes for Reffing. However, obvious knee reaps are immediately called. A reap enough to get your leg "ripped to dick" would be obvious enough my dad could notice; the rule limits it's placement far short of what causes actual damage. Small reaps are sometimes missed due to angle/crazy transitions where we're trying to watch 100 different things at once, but these are not reaps that will injure anyone. I am pro reaping to begin with, no one at my gym ever gets hurt because if you know it you know how to defend. So yeah, you're complaining about a hypothetical situation that has never happened to you.

That's been my experience as well, and I agree with the other stuff about the dangerousness of it. Ref's minds are cued in to look for things like knee reaps, and it's a fairly large movement required to do it, so it's unlikely to be missed.

The ref did nothing wrong here. Hilliary is correct I should be more aware of the rules as a high level competitor. It wont happen again. Like I said, live and learn. Reffing is a super tough job they get beat up all day by coaches and fans the last thing they need is to get talked to by the competitors. I was real pissed at myself after this one.

Much respect to Jared.

Well hopefully w/ less talking people will feel like the "Brazilian" bias will go away...

Class. Before I made it through the thread, I was thinking "this guy just looks angry at himself over the whole thing."

+1 for a classy post.

good read, big ups to JW for the reply. I've gotten to train at BJJ United when i went down with Jay Haeys and its the most friendly atmosphere, from observing this whole situation, it seemed like it was just one of those days.

Once again proof grapplers are the most humble non-douchey athletes. JW was out of line, got dq'd, owned up to it and accepted responsibility.

Who would've known, Brazillians and New Yorkers both say kneebar the same way...you can't fookin kneebaaahhhh? A fookin kneeebaaaah! :icon_lol:

If I remember correctly, he was from the Boston area. But I might be oddly biased in some way since I'm from Boston.

Back