IBJJF refereeing at it's best, NOT!

I can see a DQ if he insulted or offended the referee. That's in the rules. So unless we know the dialogue, we won't know. I asked my friend who's a coordinator that says that the ref in the video is a solid one, and his best guess is an insult to warrant that DQ. Based on the rest of the video, I wouldn't put it past blue.

woudl you DQ someone for arguing or insulting you?

I almost got a teammate DQ'd for arguing with the ref HEAVILY during his match

Accidental kicks/knees/etc are part of the game. Quit being a pussy and keep fighting

Not verbally saying why is unnecessary and confusing. It's not my job to tell you what penalty you're breaking, you should know the rules before we're in the middle of a match. Refs from all over the world, ref competitors from all over the world, in venues all over the world. We cannot be expected to be multilingual so gesture-only reffing is being instated. It's Jared's fault for not knowing to keep his mouth shut (and not doing so out of general sportsmanlike principal).
I meant to say I could not see the ref going throught the process of giving away warming, advantages, points. Not sure if it is the angle of the camera or my lack of attention on the video. I agree with the rules and appreciate you coming on the forum to discuss them. As soonest the ref start giving away advantages and points, it is the responsibility of the competitors to know what they have done wrong.

shouldnt have talked to the ref so much and it would be considered a verbal tap, i had a situation a few months back at a comp where i(stupidly) said to the ref he was reaping the knee on a footlock and it was seen as a verbal tap, in fact there is a thread on here where Hillary cleared up the rules and what not to do in those situations, learned my lesson- don't annoy the ref and be a whiner lol :)

I think the DQ was lame but I'm happy the dude lost.

My emotions are like so conflicting.

The refs job is to ref the match, not to listen to your whining. There's no reason to address the ref directly.

I think this rule is stupid and dangerous.

Example:

I am caught in an obvious knee-reap position. The ref does not seem to notice. I do not want to tap/point out the problem out of fear of a DQ and consequently get my knee ripped to dick.

Now people will criticize me saying that I should stop being a bitch (or whatever), but the same people will support the new banning of the DLR knee reap because it is "too dangerous". If you truly want your competitors to come back to the mat then you should allow the competitor to talk to the ref when reasonable.

P.S Some of you may say it is the coaches job to point this stuff out, but not all competitors have coaches available and sometimes they cannot see what exactly is happening.

woudl you DQ someone for arguing or insulting you?

I almost got a teammate DQ'd for arguing with the ref HEAVILY during his match
I'm not attacking you, so don't take this the wrong way, but why would you argue with the ref during a match. It's disrespectful.

It's very distracting/frustrating when you are reffing and someone is telling you how to do your job from the sideline (lots of times when they aren't even clear on the rules). It's already stressful enough trying to make sure to do a good job.

Also, competitor was being petty and shouldn't have complained so much.

That's pathetic. He complains, acting all pissed off, then changes the tune clutching his head. Good job they're getting tough on this, hopefully we'll never see the nancying about, overreacting, and faking that is so prevalent in soccer. Jared Weiner. More like Jared Whiner, amirite?

Example:

I am caught in an obvious knee-reap position. The ref does not seem to notice. I do not want to tap/point out the problem out of fear of a DQ and consequently get my knee ripped to dick.

Aside from the infamous Galvao match where he clowns on that guy, I can't imagine that happening. In my experience, refs are very quick to call knee reaps. Even at local-level IBJJF tournaments, I have had teammates DQ'ed for accidental knee reaps. I don't think it's the kind of thing you would need to point out to the ref, and if you did I think you could probably do it with gestures, i.e. pointing and eye contact.

On top of that, the chances of your knee being hurt from a reap with nothing else, are in my opinion very low.

The thread title here is messed up. This is ideal reffing.

The ref got it right on both the letter and the spirit of the rules. That's about the best you can expect in any tournament.

Weiner got my instructor DQ'd for a knee reap during a sweep at the NY Open a few years ago. He whined/cried out and got the W by DQ, turned and smiled to his buddies as he walked to get his hand raised then bragged about it to his friends later.

This is not surprising.

Hahahahahahaha wow, there is no way that anyone could even call that a kick. Complaining from that, in this sport is a complete disgrace to the art/sport/whatever the hell you want it to be. Same as when Christiano Ronaldo takes a dive in soccer, except this isn't soccer and he definitely isn't Christiano Ronaldo. (I don't have any idea what that comparison is supposed to show).

Seriously, if you want to win that way, then prepare for some serious, serious bashing

Example:

Now people will criticize me saying that I should stop being a bitch (or whatever), but the same people will support the new banning of the DLR knee reap because it is "too dangerous". If you truly want your competitors to come back to the mat then you should allow the competitor to talk to the ref when reasonable.

P.S Some of you may say it is the coaches job to point this stuff out, but not all competitors have coaches available and sometimes they cannot see what exactly is happening.

As a ref, competitor, coach, and student, I can assure you: this will not happen in modern IBJJF tournaments. Now, I'm not perfect. None of us are. I didn't start out BJJ as a black belt, same goes for Reffing. However, obvious knee reaps are immediately called. A reap enough to get your leg "ripped to dick" would be obvious enough my dad could notice; the rule limits it's placement far short of what causes actual damage. Small reaps are sometimes missed due to angle/crazy transitions where we're trying to watch 100 different things at once, but these are not reaps that will injure anyone. I am pro reaping to begin with, no one at my gym ever gets hurt because if you know it you know how to defend. So yeah, you're complaining about a hypothetical situation that has never happened to you.

This sport took a step toward professionalism with this rule. People in Judo don't talk to the ref, and things go just fine. So stop with the silly attitude.

That one makes me laugh a little.

Pushing, punching, kicking, that bs with the Atos sword and Alliance gun, all gone. No cussing at the crowd, opponent, or ref (either language), no disrespectful behavior. We can even give penalties to idiots who run around and hug half the crowd before theyget their hands raised. I'm stoked.

I'm not attacking you, so don't take this the wrong way, but why would you argue with the ref during a match. It's disrespectful.

It's very distracting/frustrating when you are reffing and someone is telling you how to do your job from the sideline (lots of times when they aren't even clear on the rules). It's already stressful enough trying to make sure to do a good job.

Also, competitor was being petty and shouldn't have complained so much.

I think that guy was being a cry baby complaining, but wtf with refs in ibjjf? In EVERY other sport including combat sports part of the refs job is to listen to the competitors and coaches/cornermen.

When the ref in any other combat sport is missing something the cornerman/coach is free to let the ref know and so is the the competitor. Whether the ref acts on it is up to them, but still disqualifying someone for complaining to the ref is pathetic.

If the corner or competitor is HARASSING the ref then it's justified to take a point or DQ.

That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ

Lol, fuckin' Americans. We bitch that the rules aren't fair, so they change them to make them more so, and we bitch cause we want them back. Lulz.

Neomage, how active of a competitor are you that you have such an experienced opinion on competition and how they should be run?

That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ

The pussification is complaining to the ref. Be a man, keep fighting, and the ref will take care of the rules. You should be in there to beat the hell out of the other guy, not have a discussion about the latest Song of Ice and Fire book with the Ref.

Back