IBJJF Penalty Bull Sh*t ...now can't register for Worlds

I can sort of understand why the tourney organizers are attempting to be strict about this taking off of upper garments.

1) They don't want people weighing in with one set of gear and then switching for a heavier set or non-legal set.

2) They want the competitors to essentially be herdable inside the corral - as in the mat coordinator can scoop up the bunch for this mat and go without someone going "Oh, hang on, lemme put my shirt on and so on".

3) Cleanliness and visual presentation.

However, the execution of the rule here is downright antagonistic or comes off as big bureaucracy vs. the individual, rather than something that's understood and embraced by the competitors en masse.

I really wish there were wrestling style weigh-ins the morning of or the day before and then the uniform inspection was basically "Sleeves and pants long enough? Patches sewn on securely? Anything obscene or plainly dirty? If no, you're good to go. Get over to that mat and wait until you're ready to go. No bathroom trips once you're in the mat area - unless you're about to puke or need to shit badly."

Getting this rigorous over clothing and appearance in a sport that's essentially training for killing, maiming or subduing other human beings is ridiculous to me.

I can sort of understand why the tourney organizers are attempting to be strict about this taking off of upper garments.

1) They don't want people weighing in with one set of gear and then switching for a heavier set or non-legal set.

2) They want the competitors to essentially be herdable inside the corral - as in the mat coordinator can scoop up the bunch for this mat and go without someone going "Oh, hang on, lemme put my shirt on and so on".

However, the execution of the rule here is downright antagonistic or comes off as big bureaucracy vs. the individual, rather than something that's understood and embraced by the competitors en masse.

I really wish there were wrestling style weigh-ins the morning of or the day before and then the uniform inspection was basically "Sleeves and pants long enough? Patches sewn on securely? Anything obscene or plainly dirty? If no, you're good to go. Get over to that mat and wait until you're ready to go. No bathroom trips once you're in the mat area - unless you're about to puke or need to shit badly."

Getting this rigorous over clothing and appearance in a sport that's essentially training for killing, maiming or subduing other human beings is ridiculous to me.

Great post and I agree 100%

so, did you pay the fine?

if not, why are you complaining about not being able to access their services? clearly you don't care about their regulations. when i went to worlds, i was told i wasn't allowed to bring water into the competition area. was my solution to this to bitch about it on sherdog? no. i set it outside the competition area.

if you get a parking ticket, when you go to renew your license, guess what -- you can't, until you pay the parking ticket. if you get fined by the ibjjf, and want to compete in one of their later events, pay the fine. it's not rocket appliances.

You truly are a TOOL bro....go fuck yourself!

They use to do that back in the day. You would literally stand around in a line for 6 hours to get weighed. The current system as it is now was their fix to the problem.

I would expect your minor penalty to be over. 2012 Worlds was a long time ago and any penalty should be long over. Send them an email asking them to remove the penalty, it might be a mistake.

Thanks...that's what I figured as well but waiting on someone to respond. Oh well their loss if they don't. At 42 yrs old I was just wanting to compete against guys my own age for once instead of 20 something's like at Munduals.

I get it but as I mentioned it wasn't in the rules nor was I even competing that day. I just stopped in to check my weight.

Suspension or something like that would be better for their image. IBJJF is one of the few entities in bjj making money hand over fist and they don't seem to really try ot give back at all. Just try to find ways to drain more money out of their competitors. Companies like SYR (I assume they are one of the pretty profitable companies) sponsor a ton of grapplers and throw tournaments with cash prizes.

If/when people try make a move away from IBJJF events, I just hope the next org isn't just about the $$ either.

Suspension or something like that would be better for their image. IBJJF is one of the few entities in bjj making money hand over fist and they don't seem to really try ot give back at all. Just try to find ways to drain more money out of their competitors. Companies like SYR (I assume they are one of the pretty profitable companies) sponsor a ton of grapplers and throw tournaments with cash prizes.

If/when people try make a move away from IBJJF events, I just hope the next org isn't just about the $$ either.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous to owe a fine to an amateur sport corporation. This isn't exactly the NFL fining guys who are getting paid millions. People pay to compete in this stuff. Does not compute.

Wish they would do weigh ins the day before. If lines are a problem they can do two locations and assign by division

That is easily the dumbest thing I've heard today, especially it not being in the rule book that year. I agree with the "FUCK THE IBJJF" feelings.

They use to do that back in the day. You would literally stand around in a line for 6 hours to get weighed. The current system as it is now was their fix to the problem.
I realize this is adding more administrative work and labor/hours to what is essentially a skeleton/volunteer staff (where does that IBJJF money go?), but spacing out the weigh-ins to be performed the night before and in staggered fashion is ideal.

All black belts weigh in at Zulu hour. All brown belts weigh in at Bravo hour. And so on and on until the white belts are done last. It lets people know exactly when to be at the weigh stations and reduces organizational friction and chaos by having the focus be on getting the athletes to the mats in acceptable fashion, rather than dealing with weight, uniforms, herding people and the 15 other things the likely overworked staff has to deal with all at once.

Of course, you're going to have people who can't show up the night before and cutting weight badly or whatever. That's a tough titty situation.

This is easily doable as wrestling, judo and the other grappling sports and tournaments regularly do this. While people are setting up the mats, electronics and so on, a few staff can weigh in people swiftly and easily.

In before the "certain IBJJF tournaments are too big to do this for", well, cut the Pans and Worlds down to the top ranked competitors and your size problems disappear. Making the prestigious tournaments in this sport a four or five day thing every year is a terrible idea organizationally, even if it sells PPV streams, and shouldn't happen in an ideal world. It'd also make the local tournaments much more meaningful as qualifiers.

The orgs for the Olympics and worlds for wrestling and judo can do the mega-tourneys because they're rolling in money compared to BJJ. But we shouldn't emulate them on that and certainly not over rinkydink stuff like "frayed belts" or "patch not aligned correctly".

Sorry, rant over.

969069_10201152730277348_504690530_n.jpg

so, did you pay the fine?

if not, why are you complaining about not being able to access their services? clearly you don't care about their regulations. when i went to worlds, i was told i wasn't allowed to bring water into the competition area. was my solution to this to bitch about it on sherdog? no. i set it outside the competition area.

if you get a parking ticket, when you go to renew your license, guess what -- you can't, until you pay the parking ticket. if you get fined by the ibjjf, and want to compete in one of their later events, pay the fine. it's not rocket appliances.
He was fined for a rule that didn't exist. Also, they said he couldn't compete for the rest of 2012. Last time I checked, it's 2013. Why don't you try reading the whole post before you post something nonsensical.

^^ That's me! After I got the letter I searched up and down in the rulebook about water in the competition area and couldn't find it. I wasn't on the mat, I was behind the scorers table talking to my wife and coaches who were in the bleachers.

Well idk about bathroom trips, i always geta serious case of comp bladder.

Holy shit that's hilarious. Bring water near the mats = DISGRACE to your purple belt.

ffs

IBJJF can go fuck themselves.

When I get a parking fine and I know it is completely unjust and/or in mistake, I do not pay for it. Ever. Ever. Ever.

And I renew my registration/license just fine.

In sum -- fuck your analogy. - E

You are so full of shit its ridiculous.

Back