IBJJF Penalty Bull Sh*t ...now can't register for Worlds

DFWGrappler

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I competed at IBJJF World Mundials in 2012 and while checking my weight (the day before my division started) i took my GI top off After stepping off the scale and immediately got swarmed on by a female IBJJF staff employee. She ran at me like I killed someone and demanded for my Drivers license. I asked why? She wouldn't tell me until I gave her my license. In complete surprise I was then informed that I received a penalty for removing my GI in the weigh in area. They said I would receive a letter from IBJJF. Well I got the letter several months later stating something like I owed them $70 for the penalty or I could not compete for the rest of the year without paying the penalty. Now in 2013 I'm trying to register for Master/ Senior Worlds and it won't let me register because it says I owe a "penalty". I've tried contacting IBJJF well over a week ago. No reply. Now even if they figure it out I'm still going to have to pay additional registration fee because its past the deadline. WTF is wrong with these people? Anyone had to deal with penaltys before? That rule was no was no where in the rule book for 2012 and i even pointed that out when she informed me of the rule. Now it is apparently in the 2013 rules!

while they do have the biggest tournaments and i'm planning to enter a few of them in the future, if this happened to me i believe i'd tell the lady and the federation to go fuck themselves.

I competed at IBJJF World Mundials in 2012 and while checking my weight (the day before my division started) i took my GI top off After stepping off the scale and immediately got swarmed on by a female IBJJF staff employee. She ran at me like I killed someone and demanded for my Drivers license. I asked why? She wouldn't tell me until I gave her my license. In complete surprise I was then informed that I received a penalty for removing my GI in the weigh in area. They said I would receive a letter from IBJJF. Well I got the letter several months later stating something like I owed them $70 for the penalty or I could not compete for the rest of the year without paying the penalty. Now in 2013 I'm trying to register for Master/ Senior Worlds and it won't let me register because it says I owe a "penalty". I've tried contacting IBJJF well over a week ago. No reply. Now even if they figure it out I'm still going to have to pay additional registration fee because its past the deadline. WTF is wrong with these people? Anyone had to deal with penaltys before? That rule was no was no where in the rule book for 2012 and i even pointed that out when she informed me of the rule. Now it is apparently in the 2013 rules!

I would expect your minor penalty to be over. 2012 Worlds was a long time ago and any penalty should be long over. Send them an email asking them to remove the penalty, it might be a mistake.

You can only take this pomp and circumstance so far.

The joys of having a company running major events, rather than a non-profit.

Wow, that is some ridiculous shit.
I won't even tell you about the bullshit that I experienced, saw and heard at the Nationals this past weekend.
However I did get warned for taking my rash guard off after one of my No-GI matches. The guy said I couldn't take it off inside of the yellow fenced area and even though it's a short distance to where I was going I need to put it back on immediately. I also saw them warn a few other people for taking off their rash guard as well. I've heard enough stories on here to where if anyone ask me for my ID other than to accept a medal or check in I would tell them I don't have it on me.

Sounds like the IBJJF is competing with the IJF (International Judo Federation) for the title of the worst grappling organization.

Sounds like the IBJJF is competing with the IJF (International Judo Federation) for the title of the worst grappling organization.

FILA, hands down. How do you almost get wrestling kicked out of the Olympics???

so, did you pay the fine?

if not, why are you complaining about not being able to access their services? clearly you don't care about their regulations. when i went to worlds, i was told i wasn't allowed to bring water into the competition area. was my solution to this to bitch about it on sherdog? no. i set it outside the competition area.

if you get a parking ticket, when you go to renew your license, guess what -- you can't, until you pay the parking ticket. if you get fined by the ibjjf, and want to compete in one of their later events, pay the fine. it's not rocket appliances.

if not, why are you complaining about not being able to access their services? clearly you don't care about their regulations. when i went to worlds, i was told i wasn't allowed to bring water into the competition area. was my solution to this to bitch about it on sherdog? no. i set it outside the competition area.

if you get a parking ticket, when you go to renew your license, guess what -- you can't, until you pay the parking ticket. if you get fined by the ibjjf, and want to compete in one of their later events, pay the fine. it's not rocket appliances.

The rule was not written down anywhere, I am sure if the official came up and told him that it was against the rules, he would have put his shirt back on.

They can't give you a parking fine unless there is actually laws on the books to do so.

It is ridiculous and heavy handed, but they are a private organisation they can do what they like.

When I get a parking fine and I know it is completely unjust and/or in mistake, I do not pay for it. Ever. Ever. Ever.

And I renew my registration/license just fine.

In sum -- fuck your analogy. - E

An IBJJF sympathizer! Get him!

Back