I what way could PFL be interesting that people will pay ppv and stop watching UFC?

leifi

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I mean, more or less it has to come to and end that UFC has to face a real competition. PRIDE FC hold that poision in a decade so it was possible, when i mean PRIDE i mean most of the top 3 in PRIDE would beat UFC fighters in UFC 2000-2005 since Wanderlei have fought in a cage before and so Igor Vovchanchyn. Aleksander Emelianenko and Sergey Kharitonov have also fought in a cage.

About PFL, aslong they will offer fighters more money they will in the end somehow surpass UFC in some way. However i guess UFC is like Nintendo, a name that you can not compete when it comes to quality games.

So in what way can we see PFL surpass UFC?

Peter_Murray_2021.jpg

If PFL acquires the GOAT Jon Jones, it would be all over for the UFC. All fighters would follow Jon Jones footsteps and UFC would go bankrupt within weeks
The questions is, can they affors Jon Jones? I am pretty sure if they say "6 million flat and the fight will take place in Saudi Arabia, and Jon! Forget about Usada *laughs*"

The questions is, can they affors Jon Jones? I am pretty sure if they say "6 million flat and the fight will take place in Saudi Arabia, and Jon! Forget about Usada *laughs*"
The best way to afford Jon Jones is if the PFL sold off all their fighters just to acquire the GOAT.
That is all they will need for the PFL to succeed and overtake the UFC

Why would they stop watching the UFC?

but no, these other companies will never have a successful PPV, it is a dying model that the UFC is grandfathered in and honestly outside of Conor they are not setting the world on fire with their sales, they have the ESPN cushion right now.

To be fair to PFL ESPN was the one that decided to make it a PPV, they just provide the content and ESPN chooses how to use it.

Mainstream Media

UFC has all the right partners though(WME/IMG /ESPN etc). Until then theyll always be second rate

RIzin failed on that
As did Dream before it.

People that think "just remake PRIDE" are living in a dreamworld.

PRIDE was the industry leader during a time when MMA was much less mainstream and more of a niche sport.

Besides, PRIDE was much more than a ring and kicks to grounded opponents. They leaned in to the spectacle side of the sport. They borrowed almost all of their production ethos from pro wrestling. The pageantry, the stage pyro, the freak show fights and open weightclass bouts, even fixed fights. They didn't treat MMA as a sport, and for people into that sort of thing nowadays, there is WWE and other wrestling shows to watch.

Now UFC is fully mainstream, in a way every other organisation in the sport isn't. Big celebrities attend every UFC event, stars from other sports. Actual worldwide football stars like Ronaldo (both of them) and Zlatan etc follow the UFC.

The two biggest stars the sport has ever had, Conor and Ronda, both fought in the UFC. The only name the PFL has is Francis and its telling that he isn't even fighting in MMA right now, he's all in on Boxing and if he does fight in the PFL it will be a mixed rules fight against another boxer, he won't fight any actual PFL heavyweights because it would be murder in the cage.

Not even getting into the production side of things. Anybody who has had to endure sitting through an entire PFL broadcast isn't wondering why the UFC is the industry leader.

Last edited:
To make me "stop" watching UFC events you need to at least start by making as many events as them, so I at least have the "option" to not watch them. UFC had over 40 events this year. Bellator had 7 and I think PFL had 12 events. That's not real competition. It's just a promotion to "catch up on" whenever "there is no UFC this weekend".

ONE is the only that does it but they have 90% of Muay Thai fights. I want to watch MMA. UFC's competition is a joke. There is none. The contender series has as many events as PFL ffs. LFA: A feeder promotion to the UFC on fight pass makes more events a year than PFL and Bellator combined.

Stop giving millions of dollars to Ngannou and to washed up UFC fighters like Pettis, Rory Mcdonald, Thiago Santos and Shane Burgos and start using that money to make more events.

Why is this so hard? I don't get it. They paid 700.000 per fight to Anthony Pettis and he is so past it that he lost to nobodies in there. Why couldn't they just use that money to make more events with their own prospects. There are so many out there that they are all dying to be chosen to fight in the contender series for 5k so they can get a contract for 12k in the UFC. I just don't get it

Unfortunately for rubes to watch they have to create fake drama/ storylines between guys for starters

They should really capitalize on the Stotz/Sabatello feud and use it for promotion (again for starters)

They should cut promos of all their guys who have won a million dollars taking subtle swipes at other orgs (the UFC withoutnaming them) paying their guys peanuts

Jake Paul need to get dirty and challenge DW to a fight. say the PFL team is guys who aren't boxercize pussies and have fought themselves

PFL has to be brash and dirty just like DW if they are going to make it

Last edited:
Not even getting into the production side of things. Anybody who has had to endure sitting through an entire PFL broadcast isn't wondering why the UFC is the industry leader.

This. PFL and Bellator production is so shitty that it makes the UFC look like Pride. And the UFC is already shit with their endless promos, poor commentary, and pacing that drags on forever on fight night cards. I've never made it through more than 1/2 of a PFL card without going "I'm out, I can't deal with any more of this dog shit".

It’s really difficult to compete with a brand that’s name is so synonymous with the sport, many people actually think it’s the actual name of the sport. Most likely they would need to poach some big names from the UFC, which is going to be near impossible with the contracts they have. They also need to market appropriately and get coverage from major sports journalist.

It’s kind of like how would you compete with other major sporting leagues like the NFL, NBA, NHL? You would have to convince the public your league actually has the best talent and that would likely comprise of taking a good chunk of top level established talent. That would require a large bankroll and a lot of time.

Back