I only want to roll because classes are too boring

they're legit as fuck don't get me wrong. just not something my body can do effectively at this point purely from a physical stand point
How is your body preventing you from doing reverse de la riva (or do you mean the kiss of the dragon)?

it equates to not enjoying a fundamental and major aspect of bjj, so I suppose it's an exaggeration for effect

positional sparring is completely different than drilling and not a substitute, of course sparring is more fun than drilling, eating ice cream is more fun than eating vegetables isn't it? But you can't just eat ice cream just like you can't just spar and never drill and expect to have the healthiest BJJ game possible

You can make drilling fun but most it takes some creativity

Again you are using had and exaggerated analogies. Sparring is ice cream? Position sparring ia ice cream? Jesus

Again you are using had and exaggerated analogies. Sparring is ice cream? Position sparring ia ice cream? Jesus
Oh yeah my bad all the best grapplers in the world and in history never drilled and drilling isn't important because it isn't fun so there is no point in it. I am sure you have coached many highly successful competitors and artists with your revelations on how to train grappling while only having fun lol

Oh yeah my bad all the best grapplers in the world and in history never drilled and drilling isn't important because it isn't fun so there is no point in it. I am sure you have coached many highly successful competitors and artists with your revelations on how to train grappling while only having fun lol

Oh we have one of those here

How is your body preventing you from doing reverse de la riva (or do you mean the kiss of the dragon)?

I guess what I'm saying is at my age I do what's ergonomic for my body . you may (or may not) be surprised at the amount of Pure BJJ guys that

Cant defend s single or a double even if we're starting on our knees it's like the concept of cross facing and sprawling is anathema to them.

So yeah I've never pulled guard even when I'm wearing the kimono which I rarely do (NOGI 4 LIFE!!!) I'm still basically sub wrestling dudes.

My game in my mid forties is cross body attacks,scarf holds head arm, north south, darce and anaconda chokes. The only sweep I hit is Peterson rolls into scarfhold.

My 99% tap subs my trusty tried and true "go to's" Americanas, key locks, and of course Kimuras

I don't heel hook training partners but I will reap knees which my ibjjf brethren always say "oh you can't knee reap in tournaments"

In which I kindly respond my tournament and cage days are over and this is sparring not mundials

So when I get to go live with these younger jacked eat, sleep, train(juice) competition browns and blacks the guys with no bills, no wife&kids just BJJ 24/7

......I'll admit that sometimes I get worked in the GI. But it's not enough for me to later reflect on the days roll and actually incorporate worm or inverted or that dragon ball z guard thing you mentioned into my game at this point.

Older guys with our wrecked backs and stenosis' and sciaticas whom our Drs have told us numerous times try swimming or yoga knows what I'm saying lol.

I'm old and set in my bjj ways now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Last edited:
I'm old and set in my bjj ways now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Sure, if don't find learning anything and just want to come in now and then and have some fun doing your old stuff sure . Just pointing out that there are a bunch of new good ways to setup say a single legs from bottom. They seem a lot more fun then scrambling for a single leg when dude who trains all day tries to crush you once he gets a sweep.
- example of a move loads of current world champions got swept with.

Get to an online resource. You'll find new concepts that blow ur mind. You'll be drooling for a drill session after a week of artofjitsu or atos's website

Once again you are completely missing the point. We don't all want to drill and many of us find it boring, but we are not training to be world champions.

Since you like analogies try this: Kobe Bryant was one of basketball's best ever and spent thousands of hours during the season and offseason drilling and practicing moves that made him who he was on the court. It was necessary.

Conversely, a 40ish guy that goes to play basketball at LA Fitness isn't spending hours practicing his off-hand dribbling, 3s, free throws, etc. He stops in, plays a few pickup games, has a good time, and goes home. That's me. That's your non-drilling nemesis.

Your holier than thou attitude about Jiu jitsu drilling is passionate, but misguided.

Once again you are completely missing the point. We don't all want to drill and many of us find it boring, but we are not training to be world champions.

Since you like analogies try this: Kobe Bryant was one of basketball's best ever and spent thousands of hours during the season and offseason drilling and practicing moves that made him who he was on the court. It was necessary.

Conversely, a 40ish guy that goes to play basketball at LA Fitness isn't spending hours practicing his off-hand dribbling, 3s, free throws, etc. He stops in, plays a few pickup games, has a good time, and goes home. That's me. That's your non-drilling nemesis.

Your holier than thou attitude about Jiu jitsu drilling is passionate, but misguided.
You must have missed my posts in response to Zankou addressing that aspect of the difference between being on a competitive team and being a paying customer receiving a service rendered, because I already outlined and addressed that. You want to cherry pick my statements and then critique them and then act surprised when I respond with some attitude.

This entire discussion is in context of a guy talking about skipping the drilling and only wanting to roll but feeling bad about it and wondering if he is setting a bad example. And he is, because people want to get better at BJJ especially at the beginner level, and emulate the people they see as being proficient.

You can act like the only reason you train BJJ is because you want to have fun but we both know that's not true.

You must have missed my posts in response to Zankou addressing that aspect of the difference between being on a competitive team and being a paying customer receiving a service rendered, because I already outlined and addressed that. You want to cherry pick my statements and then critique them and then act surprised when I respond with some attitude.

This entire discussion is in context of a guy talking about skipping the drilling and only wanting to roll but feeling bad about it and wondering if he is setting a bad example. And he is, because people want to get better at BJJ especially at the beginner level, and emulate the people they see as being proficient.

You can act like the only reason you train BJJ is because you want to have fun but we both know that's not true.
I'll agree to disagree. There's nothing else to say.

Shit is getting real in here

I feel like this gif belongs in here

tenor.gif

Get to an online resource. You'll find new concepts that blow ur mind. You'll be drooling for a drill session after a week of artofjitsu or atos's website

I feel online resources resources making people enjoy drilling what their not super good coaches show a lot less. It sucks a lot to drill something that's not up to par when you have watched a bunch of insanely good moves from Rafa (or him showing you how to do that thing that was always a problem).

It was all new to me, too, and very weird. Anyway, I cancelled the membership and am now at a school that is a bit more orthodox. So lots of drilling and rolling. Jiu jitsu is fun again!

Right on man. Glad you are back on the mats!

Damn. Haven't seriously posted on here in years, and it had to be a shit thread that dragged me back in...

Anyways, I'm a 32 year old brown belt that has been training and competing for over 9 years. If you don't want to drill and only want to roll, IMHO you are lazy, selfish, and your BJJ will stop growing. At my old gym I was an assistant instructor, and it used to drive me up the wall when the same usual purple belts and brown belt would show up to class late and take their time getting on the mat. They would sit in a corner throughout the entire warm up or be in the back room joking around until it was time to roll. First of all, that type of behavior sets a bad example for lower belts; and secondly jumping in after everyone has been busting their ass for over an hour and your fresh as a daisy is pussy shit.

If you only see BJJ in a purely "business" sense, yeah you're a paying customer and as such you should be satisfied with what you're getting. Just don't be surprised when you end up with a black belt you don't really deserve. I don't "love" drilling but is extremely necessary, at least for those of us that want to be able to teach BJJ competently.

Damn. Haven't seriously posted on here in years, and it had to be a shit thread that dragged me back in...

Anyways, I'm a 32 year old brown belt that has been training and competing for over 9 years. If you don't want to drill and only want to roll, IMHO you are lazy, selfish, and your BJJ will stop growing. At my old gym I was an assistant instructor, and it used to drive me up the wall when the same usual purple belts and brown belt would show up to class late and take their time getting on the mat. They would sit in a corner throughout the entire warm up or be in the back room joking around until it was time to roll. First of all, that type of behavior sets a bad example for lower belts; and secondly jumping in after everyone has been busting their ass for over an hour and your fresh as a daisy is pussy shit.

If you only see BJJ in a purely "business" sense, yeah you're a paying customer and as such you should be satisfied with what you're getting. Just don't be surprised when you end up with a black belt you don't really deserve. I don't "love" drilling but is extremely necessary, at least for those of us that want to be able to teach BJJ competently.
Take a few more years off if your "serious" post can be no better than a condescending my-way-is-better-than-your-way response. I'm lazy and selfish because I don't to drill? Ok, big man. You don't have a fucking clue.

It’s bizarre how people can be such moral judges over a hobby. Perspective much?

Interesting thread.

I've been through this cycle multiple times.

The problem with never wanting to attend class and only wanting to roll is that you're hurting the team...the same team that was there for you when you were a white belt. I agree you do not owe your instructor free work. You're the customer and the instructor works for you. However, grappling is a team martial art. You can't get better on your own. You owe the team you train with your attention -- not all of it but some of it. The same is true for guys who only want to drill and never live roll. Their hurting the team as well. You got stuff I need and I got stuff you need.

If your goal is be a martial artist, you should go to class sometimes...do the drills sometimes...and be present sometimes. Otherwise you're a hobbyist. That's ok too but it's not much different than the guy who goes to 24 Hour fitness to play pickup basketball games but never practices a free throw, layup, dribble or anything else. You're still cool. You're not a bad person. You're just not a martial artist.

I think it's important to say everyone goes through phases where their focus changes. I get it. It happens to all of us. It's not easy to keep it fresh with regular life challenges, etc.

Interesting thread.

I've been through this cycle multiple times.

The problem with never wanting to attend class and only wanting to roll is that you're hurting the team...the same team that was there for you when you were a white belt. I agree you do not owe your instructor free work. You're the customer and the instructor works for you. However, grappling is a team martial art. You can't get better on your own. You owe the team you train with your attention -- not all of it but some of it. The same is true for guys who only want to drill and never live roll. Their hurting the team as well. You got stuff I need and I got stuff you need.

If your goal is be a martial artist, you should go to class sometimes...do the drills sometimes...and be present sometimes. Otherwise you're a hobbyist. That's ok too but it's not much different than the guy who goes to 24 Hour fitness to play pickup basketball games but never practices a free throw, layup, dribble or anything else. You're still cool. You're not a bad person. You're just not a martial artist.

I think it's important to say everyone goes through phases where their focus changes. I get it. It happens to all of us. It's not easy to keep it fresh with regular life challenges, etc.
I like your open minded point of view. I still go to class and do what's required; I just loathe the tedium of drilling. At open mats and in class I spend time helping new people the same as they helped me. I don't care about being labeled a martial artist, and I think that's what is driving these angry comments. They take it all much more seriously than I do.

Back