I only want to roll because classes are too boring

Your Noodly Master

Selfish and shitty attitude
@Orange
Reaction score
45, brown belt, 6 years training 3-4x/week avg.

I've reached the point where I can't sit through a two hour class any longer. The first half is a 15 minute warm up followed by a 45 minute technique portion. The second hour is rolling. I often purposely get there late to miss the technique so I can warm up a little and then roll. Our instructor doesn't care about lateness.

I haven't lost my desire to train. I love rolling and always go to open mat, but I don't do regular classes as much now because of the boredom. I absolutely despise drilling. I don't claim to know every technique but we rarely cover anything I haven't seen multiple times.

I was looking for some input from others that have gone through this stage to help find a reason to get interested again. I don't want to set a bad example for new people at the academy.

1. I started my own class where I ran a class I would want to take.
2. I went to the weekend open mat.
3. I call up buddies and we do open mat.
4. I switched schools.

I spend more time drilling with mid range belts helping them refine. I spend more time with upper belts problem solving around the technique being taught when we drill. Adjusting grips, altering foot positions for body types, working a counter, etc....

I've posted on here my annoyance with technique/drilling and warmups taking up more and more of class time and rolling being delegated as an "option" after class. I dont like it and still don't. I feel rolling should be mandatory and a good part of the class time is reserved for rolling

I spend more time with upper belts problem solving around the technique being taught when we drill. Adjusting grips, altering foot positions for body types, working a counter, etc....

We had just one brown for the longest time and this was his MO. He'll do the actual technique a couple of times, and then go into "what if you do this, or I do this?" mode.

Even as a very brand new blue belt, I've always thought drilling with him was additive to me.

I spend more time drilling with mid range belts helping them refine. I spend more time with upper belts problem solving around the technique being taught when we drill. Adjusting grips, altering foot positions for body types, working a counter, etc....
That approach is what usually gets me through it.

I've posted on here my annoyance with technique/drilling and warmups taking up more and more of class time and rolling being delegated as an "option" after class. I dont like it and still don't. I feel rolling should be mandatory and a good part of the class time is reserved for rolling
It blows my mind when people come for technique and leave before rolling. We sometimes pass each other in the lobby.

Can't help you I'm super bored when I have to watch and drill stuff I don't give a shit about and I won't ever attempt live.
I love learning stuff online from people who show awesome stuff like Caio/Rafa/Buchecha/Roger/Lucas Leite and even putting a ton of reps into them.

I'm just a blue belt but I'm pretty bored by instructionals too. I do them anyway cuz I know they're designed to help me, and it would look terrible (especially at blue belt) to show up late and just make it to sparring. Tbh tho most of the stuff try in sparring is stuff I learn from mginaction before class. For sure that makes me a bad student, but it's just the way I feel like doing it right now.

As a brown belt you obviously have a lot more leeway in skipping the instructionals, so I wouldn't say it's a big deal

You won't be a mundial champ with that attitude.

Gosh, I even see our very highest-level (world champ) black and brown belts drilling extra and dropping in on lower-level instructional classes. I don't know very many who emphasize just rolling.

This was one of the reasons I quit bjj, but I also had a lot of nagging injuries from rolling

You won't be a mundial champ with that attitude.
unfortunately I'll miss out on all of the endorsement opportunities afforded to the brown belt masters 4 mundial champ. No early retirement for me.

Gosh, I even see our very highest-level (world champ) black and brown belts drilling extra and dropping in on lower-level instructional classes. I don't know very many who emphasize just rolling.
The difference is that Jiu jitsu is their life and perhaps livelihood. Many like me do it for fun, compete occasionally, and never expect to be world class. I commend those who train and drill to be the best, but the boredom that comes with drilling isn't worth it. It's like hitting a bucket of range balls without ever playing a round of golf.

Sometimes during class a few of our more advanced long-time students who are already familiar with the techniques go off in the corner and do their own drills while everyone else goes through the day's lesson. Maybe you could do this?

Sometimes during class a few of our more advanced long-time students who are already familiar with the techniques go off in the corner and do their own drills while everyone else goes through the day's lesson. Maybe you could do this?
Occasionally when we have a large class the instructor will teach the white belts and have a brown belt teach the colored belts. Unfortunately it doesn't happen often.

I don't claim to know every technique but we rarely cover anything I haven't seen multiple times.
Sounds like you need a new gym. There's almost certainly a world of techniques you've never been exposed to, or more likely, new innovations on techniques you think you know.

I'm just a blue belt but I'm pretty bored by instructionals too. I do them anyway cuz I know they're designed to help me, and it would look terrible (especially at blue belt) to show up late and just make it to sparring. Tbh tho most of the stuff try in sparring is stuff I learn from mginaction before class. For sure that makes me a bad student, but it's just the way I feel like doing it right now.

As a brown belt you obviously have a lot more leeway in skipping the instructionals, so I wouldn't say it's a big deal

I wouldn't say skipping instruction is not a big deal as a brown belt. Yes, you'll probably get a bit of leeway, but it's still frowned upon. As relaxed as BJJ is as a martial art, a bit of discipline is still expected.

Back in the day, I used to tell my instructor that I would be late to classes most times just because I'd be fighting traffic and couldn't really leave work early. He was ok as long as you let him know. Late too often for no reason and you're likely t get "next class starts in 90 minutes"

Sounds like you need a new gym. There's almost certainly a world of techniques you've never been exposed to, or more likely, new innovations on techniques you think you know.
I've thought a lot about that, but there aren't many options nearby. One "rival" gym would likely deem me a spy if I went there. I'll probably look for some welcoming open mats within an hour's drive and start doing that more often.

Back