I don't want to be the weight police, but . . .

I don't think anyone should tell a fighter who has never missed weight what weight class to fight at. However, it seems that missing weight is a bit more common than it used to be. I have some suggestions to curb this. I think the best way is to hit them in the wallet.

I'm not an expert on hydration tests, but I feel that tests like this measure things that have different effects on different people. If you can walk up to the stage, act normal, and weigh-in, that is enough for me.

1) If you miss weight, you are suspended for a year for the first offense. 2nd offense is 2 year ban. 3rd offense is lifetime ban. No excuses.

2) Any fighter who misses weight does not get to fight and does not get paid anything. No exceptions.

3) Keep the day before fight weigh-ins, but also add a 2 days before fight weigh-in. If you're not within 5% of your weight class two days before the fight, you have to pay opponent half of your purse. No excuses.

4) Once you return from suspension, whatever your contract stipulates your pay would be after a fight (win or lose), you lose half of it as a fine. This could offset what I'm proposing in #4.

5) Pay people who make weight their show money no matter what. Pay people who make weight (and opponent does not) their show and win money if their win + show money is < $100K. Pay them $100K if their win + show money > 100K. The UFC and other orgs won't like this one, but having a camp is expensive and its not really fair to the guy who made weight when the fight is cancelled.

What do you think?
Or be like the ibf , if you weigh more then 10lbs over the weight class day of fight fight doesnt happen and you are fined . Pretty simple really .

I will admit my suggestions is at the extreme. But I would be happy if there were some sort of mandatory suspension, the fighter who made weight gets paid, and the fighter who missed weight did not get to fight.

OneFC's solution

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12...ighter-one-fc-unveils-new-weigh-in-program-to
If an athlete falls outside the weight, or fails a test, they are disqualified from the event.

but in conjunction with all the other changes, few are missing weight anymore. so the maximum penalty approach you are calling for to 'fix the problem' is moot.

so if someone has implemented a policy and has proven that it works and is working, isn't it logical that others would look toward that policy, instead of invent a new one in the hopes it works?

which begs the question: instead of inventing a new system, why don't you FIRST explain what you DONT LIKE about OneFC's or even CSAC's, which is heavily borrowed from OneFC) approach?

Last edited:
You would have MASSIVE amount of cancelations and pull outs.

With those rules the UFC would be closing down in 1-2 years.

Fair, I'm not in the entertainment/fight industry. But it was asked to provide an example of how one screw up could get me suspended for a year.

But fighters not making weight does not hurt just them. It hurts the opponent who has to agree to fight a guy who did not make weight to get a chance at a win bonus. It hurts the other fighters who perhaps has a ppv bonus and less fans buy the ppv because someone screwed up their weight cut and is in the hospital. It hurts the org because they have spent a lot of money marketing the card.

I think a steep fine and some kind of step discipline is best . If he doesnt fight , his opponent doesn't get paid either ......and you don't get to see the fight. I think 2nd time and you are forced to move up would be a good motivator.

Lol @ weight. Fedor was 230 lbs destroyinig 260+ lbs monsters, now modern MMA fans think that a fighter being 5 lbs heavier makes it a mismatch lmao.
Most of those monsters couldn’t fight. His best wins were mostly guys close in size.

It's part of the game implemented in many wrestlers since high school.

You have to measure a fighter by weight, so you show up on the scale and make it, bravo.

You fail, death squad...

Lol @ weight. Fedor was 230 lbs destroyinig 260+ lbs monsters, now modern MMA fans think that a fighter being 5 lbs heavier makes it a mismatch lmao.
How about they don’t cut weight then and follow his example

Yeah no shit, and again my point is that you want to punish those guys that miss weight just as bad if not worse than PED users. Not that difficult to understand. But I think you're just trying to play dumb because everyone on here thinks your idea sucks.
Weight cutting is as bad as PED usage

if they miss weight, they don't get to fight that particular fight, that is punishment enough. They obviously want to compete and if they miss weight multiple times then they will choose to move up. They know who the big weight cutters are, so have a stand in ready if you suspect someone is going miss weight. Plenty of guys are ready to step in.

I'm ok with the fight being definitely cancelled as long as the guy who made weight gets his show money.

Back