I don't want to be the weight police, but . . .

Repeat - this is about making weight
Yeah no shit, and again my point is that you want to punish those guys that miss weight just as bad if not worse than PED users. Not that difficult to understand. But I think you're just trying to play dumb because everyone on here thinks your idea sucks.

If I violate terms of a contract I'd just get fired forever from my company.

For what...examples ? like showing up late? Making a typographical mistake on an important document?

Also you forget you're a worker bee , not the product.

50% of their purse would be more then enough to stop extreme weight cutting.

WeeklyAstonishingArgentineruddyduck-max-1mb.gif

I like #2

Simply put the responsibility on the fighter, u miss weight u miss everything else

Currently it lets the opponent who made weight decide (plus they get a measly 20% of salary) and he or she will always say yes as a fighter. So what can happen is a fighter who misses weight does less work cutting weight but still makes income and possibly get a win over the fighter who makes weight.

See Rumble vs Yoshida, granted Runble beats Yoshida any day but he didn’t even need to make the agreed upon, contracted weight class. So why make weight if there’s little punishment and u can sneak in a victory and 80% salary.

Yeah no shit, and again my point is that you want to punish those guys that miss weight just as bad if not worse than PED users. Not that difficult to understand. But I think you're just trying to play dumb because everyone on here thinks your idea sucks.

You continue to bring in unrelated things. If you disagree with me, that is fine. But the Florida Marlins don't suck because the New England Patriots are good, its sunny outside and North Korea wan't nukes.

If you with to make a Section B with punishments for steroid users, go for it.

You continue to bring in unrelated things
We're talking about fighter punishments, and I'm comparing your weight cut punishments to PED punishments. Again you're playing dumb.

So you'd rather just ban a guy for life rather than just force him to compete at a higher weight class? Ok......

For what...examples ? like showing up late? Making a typographical mistake on an important document?

Also you forget you're a worker bee , not the product.

Fair, I'm not in the entertainment/fight industry. But it was asked to provide an example of how one screw up could get me suspended for a year.

But fighters not making weight does not hurt just them. It hurts the opponent who has to agree to fight a guy who did not make weight to get a chance at a win bonus. It hurts the other fighters who perhaps has a ppv bonus and less fans buy the ppv because someone screwed up their weight cut and is in the hospital. It hurts the org because they have spent a lot of money marketing the card.

We're talking about fighter punishments, and I'm comparing your weight cut punishments to PED punishments. Again you're playing dumb.

So you'd rather just ban a guy for life rather than just force him to compete at a higher weight class? Ok......

He can choose to fight at a higher weight class anytime he likes. But he should still be suspended.

Who cares if they make weight? If they don't there are enough terrible consequences already. For their health, wallets, career, etc.

What we should do is get rid of weight cuts because sooner or later one of these guys is gonna die in the octagon on TV and there'll be hell to pay.

I think your heart is in the right place. I find it annoying when a contracted weight that was agreed upon, in most cases months in advance, is missed.

That said, I think it should be up to the opponent whether the fight still happens or not. The offending fighter should be fined 50% of their purse with the fine going to the opponent, should the opponent still want the fight. I get tired of seeing repeat offenders that are obvioisly too big for a certain weight, but insist on fighting there despite missing weight several times.

I agree that missing weight should be a punishable offense, but suspensions are extreme. I think if you take half their money for missing weight(which fluctuates based on their show/win money...for example, fighter a misses weight and was contracted to make $50,000 to show, $50,000 to win. The opponent is guaranteed $25,000, but if the offending fighter wins, the opponent gets $50,000.) I think you'll be amazed at how rare it becomes to see anyone missing weight.

The UFC should add 10 pounds to every weight class and have fighters take a hydration test during weigh-ins. No dehydrated fighters should be allowed to compete.

if they miss weight, they don't get to fight that particular fight, that is punishment enough. They obviously want to compete and if they miss weight multiple times then they will choose to move up. They know who the big weight cutters are, so have a stand in ready if you suspect someone is going miss weight. Plenty of guys are ready to step in.

The UFC should add 10 pounds to every weight class and have fighters take a hydration test during weigh-ins. No dehydrated fighters should be allowed to compete.

Then why add 10 pounds per weight class? That would just lead to different people weight cutting.

So basically, get rid of 125.

125 becomes 135
135 becomes 145,
145 becomes 155
155 becomes 165
170 becomes 180
185 becomes 195
205 becomes 215
HVY becomes 275

Everyone who was fighting at 135, 145 and 155 will keep at the same weight classes.
Now dudes who were fighting at 170 try to make 165
Dudes who were at 185 not try to make 180
Dudes who were at 205 now try to make 190
WAY more HVY tri to make 215,
And we get some real fat asses at heavyweight.

What was the point of that? The only positive is that 125 gets eliminated and MM has to fight at 135.

I don't think anyone should tell a fighter who has never missed weight what weight class to fight at. However, it seems that missing weight is a bit more common than it used to be. I have some suggestions to curb this. I think the best way is to hit them in the wallet.

I'm not an expert on hydration tests, but I feel that tests like this measure things that have different effects on different people. If you can walk up to the stage, act normal, and weigh-in, that is enough for me.

1) If you miss weight, you are suspended for a year for the first offense. 2nd offense is 2 year ban. 3rd offense is lifetime ban. No excuses.

2) Any fighter who misses weight does not get to fight and does not get paid anything. No exceptions.

3) Keep the day before fight weigh-ins, but also add a 2 days before fight weigh-in. If you're not within 5% of your weight class two days before the fight, you have to pay opponent half of your purse. No excuses.

4) Once you return from suspension, whatever your contract stipulates your pay would be after a fight (win or lose), you lose half of it as a fine. This could offset what I'm proposing in #4.

5) Pay people who make weight their show money no matter what. Pay people who make weight (and opponent does not) their show and win money if their win + show money is < $100K. Pay them $100K if their win + show money > 100K. The UFC and other orgs won't like this one, but having a camp is expensive and its not really fair to the guy who made weight when the fight is cancelled.

What do you think?
OneFC already solved this problem. so why are you trying to reinvent a shittier wheel?

the only delta is that OneFC controls their own rules and UFC doesn't. but CSAC is pushing most of the same rules, and they certainly have pull.

so the only question - not unlike the perennial 'national security vs individual freedom' debate - is where the fine line between the two extremes is. and it's hard to pin down, because that line keeps moving.

so the best thing to do is find a policy that offends the most people the least, and stick to it. or make incremental changes every few years until it's tweaked right.

I didn't read all that shit but IMO they gotta figure out whether or not MMA should be clean or not first. By the time a lot of pros get to the big leagues, they already know how much they can cut. If they want to be lazy or stupid about it, that's on them.

OneFC already solved this problem. so why are you trying to reinvent a shittier wheel?

the only delta is that OneFC controls their own rules and UFC doesn't. but CSAC is pushing most of the same rules, and they certainly have pull.

so the only question - not unlike the perennial 'national security vs individual freedom' debate - is where the fine line between the two extremes is. and it's hard to pin down, because that line keeps moving.

so the best thing to do is find a policy that offends the most people the least, and stick to it. or make incremental changes every few years until it's tweaked right.

I will admit my suggestions is at the extreme. But I would be happy if there were some sort of mandatory suspension, the fighter who made weight gets paid, and the fighter who missed weight did not get to fight.

Back