How would Bears do living in Africa?

The fuck outta here.

V5MlXiu.jpg

This one is over 800 pounds. And they can get bigger than this.

Yes. That's a nice tiger. But it is captive fed. Wild tigers rarely exceed 700lbs or so. Look it up.
A big bear in the wild AVERAGES 900-1100lbs! Captive brown bears easily reach 1500 pounds!!!

Nope. That's a Siberian.

Ligers are even bigger, but they are a man made species by crossing Lions and Tigers. They don't count.

This is a Liger:

maxresdefault.jpg

Those things can barely run. See that giant gut?

Yep i can agree that Tigers would have a shot at killing a Grizzly bear out of most land animals. Actually despite the absolute juggernauts (elephants, rhinos ect) i think they are probably one of the only ones that could go toe to toe with one but i do believe a Grizzly would be victorious most of the time and a Kodiak would be absolute slaughter.

Most of the weaponry at their disposal with the Tiger having an edge over the grrizzly in some departments (they are way more efficient hunters and have bigger teeth) while the grizzlies are more physically imposing imo.

The x-factor for me is the bears fighting style. They aren't just big lunks, they move with quickness and wrestle like humans. I believe it would over whelm a Tiger on it's wrestling capabilities alone.

Look at the way they move and use their legs. It's like they have some BJJ skills! A croc sure, but this? Im not sure a Tiger could really deal with this as often.

Each one of those bears is pushing 1000 pounds. Massive power and durabilty.

Here's the sad reality. Bears would be fucked in Africa. Not because of other animals but because of human beings. East and South East Asians have bear farms to extract the bile to use for some bs medicine. Africans are poor and will take on those jobs to ship the bears over as long as they're getting paid

The wiki article Siberian tigers has some information about tigers and bears killing each other:

Following a decrease of ungulate populations from 1944 to 1959, more than 32 cases[quantify] of Amur tigers attacking both brown and Asian black bears were recorded in the Russian Far East, and hair of bears were found in several tiger scat samples. Tigers attack Asian black bears less often than brown bears, as latter live in more open habitat and are not able to climb trees. In the same time period, four cases of brown bears killing female and young tigers were reported, both in disputes over prey and in self-defense. Tigers can tackle bears larger than themselves, using an ambushing tactic and jumping onto the bear from an overhead position, grabbing it by the chin with one fore paw and by the throat with the other, and then killing it with a bite in the spinal column.[citation needed] Tigers mainly feed on the bear's fat deposits, such as the back, hams, and groin.[10]

Amur tigers regularly prey on young bears and sub-adult brown bears. Reports of preying on fully grown small female adult Ussuri brown bears by a big male tiger are common as well.[17][34] Predation by tigers on denned brown bears was not detected during a study carried between 1993 and 2002.[36] Ussuri brown bears, along with the smaller Asian black bears constitute 2.1% of the Siberian tiger's annual diet,[37] of which 1.4% are brown bears.[37][38]Certain tigers have been reported to imitate the calls of Asian black bears to attract them.[39]

Bears are said by a source to be generally afraid of tigers, and changed their path after coming across tiger trails;[10][not in citation given] however, this is disputed. In the winters of 1970–1973, Yudakov and Nikolaev recorded two cases of bears showing no fear of tigers and another case of a brown bear changing path upon crossing tiger tracks.[40] Other researchers have observed bears following tiger tracks to scavenge tiger kills and to potentially prey on tigers.[10][37] Despite the threat of predation, some brown bears actually benefit from the presence of tigers by appropriating tiger kills that the bears may not be able to successfully hunt themselves.[37] Brown bears generally prefer to contest the much smaller female tigers.[41] During telemetry research in the Sikhote-Alin protected area, 44 direct confrontations between bears and tigers were observed, in which bears in general were killed in 22 cases, and tigers in 12 cases.[42] There are reports of brown bears specifically targeting Amur leopards and tigers to abstract their prey. In the Sikhote-Alin reserve, 35% of tiger kills were stolen by bears, with tigers either departing entirely or leaving part of the kill for the bear.[43] Some studies show that bears frequently track down tigers to usurp their kills, with occasional fatal outcomes for the tiger. A report from 1973 describes twelve known cases of brown bears killing tigers, including adult males; in all cases the tigers were subsequently eaten by the bears.[44][45]

Source

I'm no bear expert, but I think despite the physical advantages a bear possesses relative to other large land predators, climactic factors and a lack of available food supply would do them in.

Grizzles etc in North America are apex predators, and outside of wolves, I don't think they compete with other animals for available food sources. I don' think there is enough wild game in Africa to sustain populations of Lions, other large cats, hyenas etc. as well as bears.

Also I don't know how readily bears are equipped to handle drouts. Maybe they can, but I don't think have ever seen that addressed in a documentary.

P.S: There's a youtube video that discusses how a grizzly bear would fare in a fight against lions, tigers etc. The general consensus was that they would rag doll almost everything, but could potentially lose to a gator if it finds itself in a swamp.

I wonder how Grizzlies would fair if they were introduced to African countries? Obviously that will never happen of course, but in some other weird world it did, i wonder how they'd go competing with the hyena and the big cats?
I suppose they wouldn't really cross paths with lions that much as lions like the open plains don't they?
What about tigers in Africa? Again they'd be in a different habitat than the lions, but probably the same as the bears.
They better not cross path with @PrinceOfPain dog for shure.

Here's the sad reality. Bears would be fucked in Africa. Not because of other animals but because of human beings. East and South East Asians have bear farms to extract the bile to use for some bs medicine. Africans are poor and will take on those jobs to ship the bears over as long as they're getting paid
Bears will not survive in Africa because Asians?

Read a book....
Smh@ ts CAN not knowing bears thrived in Africa before humans destroyed their population.

Grizzly Bear is GOAT predator. Destroys lions and tigers.

Some of the more successful animals in Africa are pack animals, which a bear isn't. I think the 'packs' would wear down the bears and kill them off.

Americans are always pointing out all the dangerous animals in Australia but coming across a large bear in the wild would scare the crap out of me.

Agreed.

We have fair amount of nasty fuckers but basically none of them will chase you down.

Bears will not survive in Africa because Asians?
Yeah because we all know that ivory is of great use to the majority of Africans who live in poverty. You need to get educated mate. What makes you think bears will fare any better?

Yes. That's a nice tiger. But it is captive fed. Wild tigers rarely exceed 700lbs or so. Look it up.
A big bear in the wild AVERAGES 900-1100lbs! Captive brown bears easily reach 1500 pounds!!!

Average weight for an inland Grizzly is 600 pounds. Average for costal is 900.

Average weight for a Siberian male Tiger is 700 pounds, with 800 in the wild not as rare as you'd like to believe. The average is 700 dude, not the biggest. And the Bengal Tiger isn't as far off from the Siberians either -the largest Siberian found in the wild was 845 pounds, largest Bengal found in the wild was 857 pounds.

Look, I'm not arguing that the biggest Bears aren't bigger than the biggest cats. I'm trying to point out that too many people don't seem to truly understand how big the biggest cats are in comparison to them. It's not as far off as many of you want to believe. People seem to be picturing 500 pound cats in their head when in reality, they are a couple hundred pounds larger than that. This is the same falsehood that got thrown around in the last thread a while back.

Further more, someone stated that there was no way a Tiger takes a Grizzly, and they seemed to base that off of size. And as I pointed out, the average weight of some full grown grizzlies is 100 pounds smaller than full grown Siberian Tigers lol. People hear or read the word 'Bear' and they just assume 'bigger' -but I've posted pics in here showing Tigers next to Grizzlies and they're almost the same size. Context is important here.

Sure, Polar Bears and Kodiaks are massive. But there are some massive cats in the Tiger world too.

Those things can barely run. See that giant gut?

The Liger? Yeah, they're huge but they're very docile. A motivated one would be interesting. They weigh over 1000 pounds. I'm not sure what the biggest one weighs in at.

Yeah because we all know that ivory is of great use to the majority of Africans who live in poverty. You need to get educated mate. What makes you think bears will fare any better?
Well, everyone has a price. Aussie just sold their country pjece by piece to China.

Fuck. You're right, damn Asians. Thanks for educating me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back