How would Bears do living in Africa?

...and lions run 50. And the larger sources of prey that lions eat all run around 35. Most grizzlies arent running 35 miles an hour, though it obviously happens. This is a reason lions often hunt as a pride as well... easier to catch prey that are just minimally slower than you.

Again, considering a bear's diet in places I've lived, whether Montana or Alaska, the transition would be impossible.

But the Atlas bear, the one bear who is (was?) in africa probably ate roots and nuts and shit.

I'm feeling confident about this. I dont see a grizzly surviving africa. That said, if I get filthy rich one day, we can test that shit and find out

You know, I think the terrain would be key. Tigers don't hunt in open areas either. That is basically reserved for cheetahs and pack animals. A grizzly wouldn't last long in a flat open area.

Any kind of wooded area, I think a grizzly could survive in though.

People also seem to forget that bears are omnivores whom mostly dig up roots and up to 90% of their diet comes from plants, even grizzly bears. I don't think they would have any issue surviving in the forest and jungle regions of Africa.

lions hunt in prides, so the bear couldnt really fuck with them. 1v1 lion is doomed but would quickly become mauled by the backup. unless they have a mutual respect for eachother and just avoid eachother, which I think is pretty likely.

Tigers are much more elite 1v1 fighters than lions. A tiger owns a lion almost 100% of the time. I think in a 1v1 fight between a big tiger and a big bear, the bear probably "wins" but likely dies from injuries later.

More importantly: how would lions do if they were transplanted in say, Siberia or Nunavut? There's elk, moose, all that good tasty food.

Africans don't give a shit about wildlife, they keep destroying and encroaching onto the few habitats lions have left. At this rate they'll be completely extinct. The few lions in captivity don't have enough genetic diversity to allow the species to survive, they'll become consanguineous, infertile and die off.

But if you put some wild lions somewhere, in a large enclosed territory (a la Yellowstone) maybe they can adapt and survive somehow.

More importantly: how would lions do if they were transplanted in say, Siberia or Nunavut? There's elk, moose, all that good tasty food.

Africans don't give a shit about wildlife, they keep destroying and encroaching onto the few habitats lions have left. At this rate they'll be completely extinct. The few lions in captivity don't have enough genetic diversity to allow the species to survive, they'll become consanguineous, infertile and die off.

But if you put some wild lions somewhere, in a large enclosed territory (a la Yellowstone) maybe they can adapt and survive somehow.
How would a lion survive winter?

I thought they were more closely related to the Polar Bear?

I mean, a Lion and Tiger are both kind of the same too. But there's a reason the names separate them so you know which you're talking about. They aren't exactly the same.

There's a lot more difference between a tiger and a lion than a grizzly/brown bear and a kodiak bear.

Lions and Tigers are different species. Kodiak's are a subspecies of brown bears.

I'm pretty sure they are the same thing, I may be incorrect but I don't think I am.

The reason for the difference in weight is the fact that they have a constant and steady supply of salmon on that island and it's rather easy for them to hunt.

They are like the fat, lazy powerlifters of the bear world.

This came up if I'm not mistaken in the last thread, and it was explained that there are differences.

Either way, people here seem to think full grown Tigers are only like 600 pounds. When males average more than that, and can easily exceed 800 pounds.

Bengals and Siberians btw, tho Siberians do tend to be bigger.

The point is, there's a lot of false assumptions out there based on controlled experiments from years ago (like fights, where there wasn't a lot of room for the big cat to use its advantages), and also based off of people assuming Lions=Tigers same same.

Tigers attack everything in their territory in the wild including Elephants, and there are documented accounts of them killing them. There is footage of Tigers diving into rivers and killing full grown Crocs for stealing their food. Grabbing full grown Crocs -in the water on their own turf- and dragging them back to land to kill them.

I'm not saying a big ass Tiger Vs a Grizzly is a lock for the Tiger, but I'd be willing to bet if they did cross paths constantly in the wild there would be documented cases of Tigers killing them. Especially when there's fuck tons of footage of much smaller Mountain Lions getting into brawls with them and surviving and in some cases injuring the Bears.

The Tiger is one Cat that's a game changer in these discussions. They are on the very top of the planet Earth bad mother fucker scale with Orcas, big Bears and so on.

This came up if I'm not mistaken in the last thread, and it was explained that there are differences.

Either way, people here seem to think full grown Tigers are only like 600 pounds. When males average more than that, and can easily exceed 800 pounds.

Bengals and Siberians btw, tho Siberians do tend to be bigger.

The point is, there's a lot of false assumptions out there based on controlled experiments from years ago (like fights, where there wasn't a lot of room for the big cat to use its advantages), and also based off of people assuming Lions=Tigers same same.

Tigers attack everything in their territory in the wild including Elephants, and there are documented accounts of them killing them. There is footage of Tigers diving into rivers and killing full grown Crocs for stealing their food. Grabbing full grown Crocs -in the water on their own turf- and dragging them back to land to kill them.

I'm not saying a big ass Tiger Vs a Grizzly is a lock for the Tiger, but I'd be willing to bet if they did cross paths constantly in the wild there would be documented cases of Tigers killing them. Especially when there's fuck tons of footage of much smaller Mountain Lions getting into brawls with them and surviving and in some cases injuring the Bears.

The Tiger is one Cat that's a game changer in these discussions. They are on the very top of the planet Earth bad mother fucker scale with Orcas, big Bears and so on.
Yep i can agree that Tigers would have a shot at killing a Grizzly bear out of most land animals. Actually despite the absolute juggernauts (elephants, rhinos ect) i think they are probably one of the only ones that could go toe to toe with one but i do believe a Grizzly would be victorious most of the time and a Kodiak would be absolute slaughter.

Most of the weaponry at their disposal with the Tiger having an edge over the grrizzly in some departments (they are way more efficient hunters and have bigger teeth) while the grizzlies are more physically imposing imo.

The x-factor for me is the bears fighting style. They aren't just big lunks, they move with quickness and wrestle like humans. I believe it would over whelm a Tiger on it's wrestling capabilities alone.

Look at the way they move and use their legs. It's like they have some BJJ skills! A croc sure, but this? Im not sure a Tiger could really deal with this as often.

they'd die quickly. Notice the alpha predators are fast and nimble in Africa? Bears survive on fish and/or berries. Also, no hibernation possible.

Bears can run 30 mph and are nimble enough to climb trees and turn on a dime.

Bears can run 30 mph and are nimble enough to climb trees and turn on a dime.
It's closer to 45 but maybe when I first read that it could have been kilometers.

At any rate, bears are the most surprising animal in terms of ability. Not to mention lols per hour.

DGCYWdh.gif

I never get tired of this gif of a bear accidentally whupping himself in the jewels. #NEVER

Uh, no.
I've posted this before and not going to get into detail again but.. the biggest Tigers in the world are a lot closer to the biggest Grizzlies weight wise than you seem to know.

Look it up. Tigers are a totally different class of bad motherfucker when talking about bad mother fuckers. There's footage of them killing everything in the open/wild from Crocs, to Bears.

If in their territory, they will fuck with anything. Anything.

Inland grizzlies maybe. A big record level tiger is maybe 700lbs. A big inland grizzly is closer to 900. Alaskan/Coastal brown bear? Forget it.
220px-Bart_the_Bear_and_Doug_Seus.jpg
No cat can fuck with this.

Yep i can agree that Tigers would have a shot at killing a Grizzly bear out of most land animals. Actually despite the absolute juggernauts (elephants, rhinos ect) i think they are probably one of the only ones that could go toe to toe with one but i do believe a Grizzly would be victorious most of the time and a Kodiak would be absolute slaughter.

Most of the weaponry at their disposal with the Tiger having an edge over the grrizzly in some departments (they are way more efficient hunters and have bigger teeth) while the grizzlies are more physically imposing imo.

The x-factor for me is the bears fighting style. They aren't just big lunks, they move with quickness and wrestle like humans. I believe it would over whelm a Tiger on it's wrestling capabilities alone.

Look at the way they move and use their legs. It's like they have some BJJ skills! A croc sure, but this? Im not sure a Tiger could really deal with this as often.

main-qimg-834c60a44785cb6e0a5e61973ac90795-c

Just for a size reference. This is a Grizzly and Tiger (in captivity). I feel pics like this are needed because there's some misconceptions about how big Tigers really are. Keep in mind they can be a couple hundred pounds larger than a Lion.

In the open/wild, I'm taking the Tiger. Bears are already on their menu in some parts of the world:

A bit graphic, but it's a kill a Siberian Tiger made of a 500+ pound Bear (not a Grizzly, but still):

imageproxy.php

Uh, no.

Inland grizzlies maybe. A big record level tiger is maybe 700lbs. A big inland grizzly is closer to 900. Alaskan/Coastal brown bear? Forget it.
View attachment 336999
No cat can fuck with this.

The fuck outta here.

V5MlXiu.jpg

This one is over 800 pounds. And they can get bigger than this.

Not too many big hair gay dudes in Africa. Plenty of aids though.

Life expectancy not to long, especially if they in Uganda

Pretty sure that's a Ligar. They are huge, but can't reproduce.

Nope. That's a Siberian.

Ligers are even bigger, but they are a man made species by crossing Lions and Tigers. They don't count.

This is a Liger:

maxresdefault.jpg

goddamn, bears are so fucking badass! i have to go out to where they live to see them in person. from a FAR distance, of course lol.

The fuck outta here.

V5MlXiu.jpg

This one is over 800 pounds. And they can get bigger than this.
Thats like taking a picture of Yao Ming and claiming that we can be larger. Total misrepresentation of the tiger population. Siberian tigers max out around 650 pounds in the wild. Tigers any bigger than that are overweight.

Bears will survive in Africa with just the bear necessities.

Back