How would Bas Rutten do in MMA today?

I think if you give him the training they have today i think he would do well, Bas was always someone able to adapt, but i think he probably would be a MW.

LW's and WW"s of today are bigger than Royce was back during UFC 1.

Royce was 180 lbs soaking wet.

Alot of LW's now cut from 185 190 and are in fantastic shape.
Sure, but as big as they are, not enough to eat the Kimo´s bomb that Hoyce had to eat, of deal with Beast´s mauling.

Sure, but as big as they are, not enough to eat the Kimo´s bomb that Hoyce had to eat, of deal with Beast´s mauling.
I'd say you could find some guys at both weights who have the kind of chin that'd be able to take that kind of punishment.

Condit for example. Masvidal has a good chin too.

I'd say you could find some guys at both weights who have the kind of chin that'd be able to take that kind of punishment.

Condit for example. Masvidal has a good chin too.
I suggest you rewatch that bomb. Good chin @ WW hardly translate to openweight.

Both would have been sent to Boliviah...

Kimo was not a good fighter and has 2 tkos on his record in 18 fights. He'd struggle to last minutes with a current top 10 FW.

Minor point on the evolution of the sport: I don't think Royce wasn't the best MMA fighter on the planet in 1993. Rickson was, and Rickson was closer to modern standards of athletic ability than Royce.

On the other side, I think that the older ages of modern fighters are a bit misleading.

A 40 year old fighter today has a lot of high quality experience training for modern(ish) MMA. A fighter in Bas's era didn't. For example, a 40 year old today (like Belfort) could have two decades of competitive MMA experience. A mid/late 30s fighter in the early UFC (like Severn) might have experience in amateur wrestling, judo training, and maybe a little boxing if he's lucky. All under their own rulesets. (Dan was also lucky in that, unlike most of his opponents, he had been an *exceptional* amateur wrestler.)

For that matter, take Bas's case specifically: he was a kickboxer / kyokushin guy who entered a proto-MMA style with weird rules that differed greatly from what we see today. He didn't have grappling training going into this. The grappling he picked up was from a small group of professional wrestlers in a brand-new sport who were trying to figure out how to apply their grappling knowledge under exotic rules. In the meantime, the UFC across the pond -- which Bas would go into much later -- was a free for all that wouldn't resolve upon a cohesive, modern looking approach for years to come.

Some older MMA fighters have figured out how to remain competitive today, but I think part of that comes from the knowledge they picked up along the way. (Along with improving training.) They didn't start out with that knowledge.

Hard to definitively say because the times weren't as knowledgeable. His mixed skill level would be nearly less than basic today, but if you kept how far ahead of the curve he was then proportional to today, fuck, he'd have been doing Do Bronx's calf slicer and Pettis' Showtime kick before either of them, at LHW.

Bas's best skills were his intelligence and approach to training.

it's a different era. the talent pool is crazy deeper than when bas fought. he'd have zero chance

Yeah nowadays we have the new evolution of mma in black beast and Ngannou in the top10. The technical elite of the universe.

The stand up guys would get fuckin crushed. Wrestlers would give him a bad time though.

Why do people hate on Bas Rutten. I don’t get it, He was a great fighter and he picked things up quickly that being said that highlight almost didn’t do him Justice. Because it looked like people had no idea how to defend against guillotine choke and were just warm bodies in there with him. It did show his knees and kicks where laser guided to the liver and if you ever have heard him commentate he is obsessed with liver shots. He’s a legend.

As much as I like him, he'd get murked.... bad

He had practically no take down defense and could be held down at will. He trained wrestling even back then and it didn't help him one bit. He's just done of those fighters who weren't built for TDD, like that guy I forgot the name of but he knocked out Dan Hardy.
Carlos Condit? Condit’s also a legend.

GOAT just as he is now Bas > every other fighter that ever lived

In todays MMA, if you took the gloves away the day he entered and shocked the current fighters, he’d be champ champ

JK he’d do aight, suspect TDD tho
Would he pull off some sick toe-holds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back