How would Bas Rutten do in MMA today?

Way too small for HW and probably even LHW. Had slick submission abilities and high level striking, with a high level team probably top 10.

Would do well at MW I'd say.

He's not a terribly big guy by todays standards so wouldn't be HW, although a pretty good athlete aswell striker. I mostly watched his Pancrase KO's, so I don't know how good he is in the Submission Wrestling category.

I do know that his grappling game was pretty bad when first started in Pancrase... although to be fair, he was doing, basically a derivative of MMA back in the NHB days...
Bas seems like a cool guy but he is one of the most overrated fighters in history.

Bas would get knocked dead by CB Dolloway.

How would he have done against the modern HW and LHW divisions of today?

He would definitely have to work on his TDD, but Bas was a bad dude. One of the best strikers in the sports history.

In the screenshot that's showing of Bas in the clinch, anyone with good dirty boxing would absolutely KO him with uppercuts. Like WWs on up.

In the screenshot that's showing of Bas in the clinch, anyone with good dirty boxing would absolutely KO him with uppercuts. Like WWs on up.
U sure u know Early Pancrase´s ruleset?

That's pancrase, the reason why he was clinching like that is because you were only allowed to slap people with open hands, you couldn't make a fist and hit someone. With no threat of closed hand punches, of course you need less defense in certain situations.

Bas would do just fine in this day and age, would probably be top 3 or the champ in MW or LHW. You can't "teleport" fighters from a certain era to this one, you have to assume that this person would have today's training and draw upon the knowledge of the past. In other words, talent/natural affinity/good genetics/reflexes/intelligence/dedication/work ethic etc. are universal and someone who is really "born" to do something will excel in any era. When comparing legends or people who were great at something you need to take that approach. When comparing average or below average athletes or whatever, then yeah...with time they get a bit better and your average fighter today is for sure better than the one in the 1990s.

That's pancrase, the reason why he was clinching like that is because you were only allowed to slap people with open hands, you couldn't make a fist and hit someone. With no threat of closed hand punches, of course you need less defense in certain situations.

Bas would do just fine in this day and age, would probably be top 3 or the champ in MW or LHW. You can't "teleport" fighters from a certain era to this one, you have to assume that this person would have today's training and draw upon the knowledge of the past. In other words, talent/natural affinity/good genetics/reflexes/intelligence/dedication/work ethic etc. are universal and someone who is really "born" to do something will excel in any era. When comparing legends or people who were great at something you need to take that approach. When comparing average or below average athletes or whatever, then yeah...with time they get a bit better and your average fighter today is for sure better than the one in the 1990s.
The athlete pool has expanded though. "Born to do this shit's" #1 guy in 1993 was 6'1 170 lb Royce Gracie. That guy would be a 155 or 145 lber and mediocre at those classes nowadays. "Born to this shit" 2000 may be like the worst "born to do this shit" guy in 2018.

The athlete pool has expanded though. "Born to do this shit's" #1 guy in 1993 was 6'1 170 lb Royce Gracie. That guy would be a 155 or 145 lber and mediocre at those classes nowadays. "Born to this shit" 2000 may be like the worst "born to do this shit" guy in 2018.
& Vice-Versa...lmao

Those 155 or 145 lbers would be lousy if transported back in the Vale Tudo days..

Do you see them fighting @ openweight? 3-4-5 fights per night? against HW monsters like Beast or Kimo?

I´ll tell you more: no WW in MMA history would have eaten HW [250lb] Kimo´s bomb on the ground and survived it, then lockd a sub.

& Vice-Versa...lmao

Those 155 or 145 lbers would be lousy if transported back in the Vale Tudo days..

Do you see them fighting @ openweight? 3-4-5 fights per night? against HW monsters like Beast or Kimo?

I´ll tell you more: no WW in MMA history would have eaten HW [250lb] Kimo´s bomb on the ground and survived it, then lockd a sub.
Nick Diaz?

But Royce would have among the worst BJJ/ grappling in the division today.. Anyone FW on up wins UFC 1,2,3

Back