How to get better in Math? And should we get a Math and Science subforum?

I don't know where this "Asians are good at math" stereotype came from, but honestly, solving math problems is nothing more than a step-by-step procedure that requires logic and patience.

That said...

Anyone that bashes mathematics or finds it worthless should really re-examine their lives and perhaps understand that their mobile devices and social media apps with which they fuel their ADHD/instant gratification addled brains were invented through the use of - hmm, surprise surprise - mathematics.

So cry NERD! all you want, folks. Your anti-intellectualism doesn't make you hip or cool. It just makes you look like a hypocritical loser.
I stand by my statement. And not on an insulting manner either.

You really need to enjoy math imo. Also, practice practice practice.

Would love a science sub but it would fill up with non scientific nonsense pretty fast.
UFO's and telekinesis and other ridiculous horse shit.

For example, complex numbers. How do you get the angle of (2+3i) * (3+4i)? So through FOIL method I got 6 + 17i + 12(-1) I would eventually get -12 + 17i. I suppose this is now at Quadrant II (since x=-12, y=17i), and then...where do I go now? How do I find the angle?

<{ByeHomer}>

How to get better at maths? If you aren't born with natural talent for it, then it's a matter of practice. I have a few friends that have the gifts for it. One of them even said he can visualize the numbers in his head.

there are cases where people became math geniuses after getting concussions to the head.

The only way to get good at math is to know it. I don't mean memorizing the equations I mean knowing why they work.

I don't know where this "Asians are good at math" stereotype came from, but honestly, solving math problems is nothing more than a step-by-step procedure that requires logic and patience.

That said...

Anyone that bashes mathematics or finds it worthless should really re-examine their lives and perhaps understand that their mobile devices and social media apps with which they fuel their ADHD/instant gratification addled brains were invented through the use of - hmm, surprise surprise - mathematics.

So cry NERD! all you want, folks. Your anti-intellectualism doesn't make you hip or cool. It just makes you look like a hypocritical loser.

Clothes are made of cloth but not many learn how to make textiles and sew. Plastics are made from oil, but not many learn how to find oil or make plastics from it. Other items are made from metals but few learn the process involved to mine, refine and alloy them.

Clothes are made of cloth but not many learn how to make textiles and sew. Plastics are made from oil, but not many learn how to find oil or make plastics from it. Other items are made from metals but few learn the process involved to mine, refine and alloy them.

And your point is?

Would love a science sub but it would fill up with non scientific nonsense pretty fast.
UFO's and telekinesis and other ridiculous horse shit.

Indeed maths has shown that UFO's would be limited to telepathy.

Math is the foundation of almost all STEM subjects. And lately, I'm taking online math courses alongside programming.

I'm still at pre-calculus. So far so good, but there are times I'm tempted to jump at other topics and I get more confused.

For example, complex numbers. How do you get the angle of (2+3i) * (3+4i)? So through FOIL method I got 6 + 17i + 12(-1) I would eventually get -12 + 17i. I suppose this is now at Quadrant II (since x=-12, y=17i), and then...where do I go now? How do I find the angle?

Edit : I'm not the smartest today.

I got an easy one that for some reason my dumbass can’t figure out.

Say I’m trying to achieve a 3% reduction of a total. However I’m trying to get that 3% out of 70% of the total (100%). What would be the reduction percentage of that 70% to achieve the 3% overall.

Math is the foundation of almost all STEM subjects. And lately, I'm taking online math courses alongside programming.

I'm still at pre-calculus. So far so good, but there are times I'm tempted to jump at other topics and I get more confused.

atan(17/12)... if your arithmetic was correct. 6 - 12 = ?

I got an easy one that for some reason my dumbass can’t figure out.

Say I’m trying to achieve a 3% reduction of a total. However I’m trying to get that 3% out of 70% of the total (100%). What would be the reduction percentage of that 70% to achieve the 3% overall.

.03*.70

http://mathcentre.co.uk/resources/uploaded/10-Polar-FormF61Mb.mp4

The link above has a video, to explain it all. http://mathcentre.co.uk/students/topics/ is a handy resource, as is https://www.geogebra.org/

That said...

I just think that MMA forum Sherdog, despite having some of the greatest minds of the modern age, isn't the place for a mathmatics subforum.

So I'm still going to cry 'nerd' at the suggestions.

<{JustBleed}>

Back