How to get better in Math? And should we get a Math and Science subforum?

icemanliddell

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Math is the foundation of almost all STEM subjects. And lately, I'm taking online math courses alongside programming.

I'm still at pre-calculus. So far so good, but there are times I'm tempted to jump at other topics and I get more confused.

For example, complex numbers. How do you get the angle of (2+3i) * (3+4i)? So through FOIL method I got 6 + 17i + 12(-1) I would eventually get -12 + 17i. I suppose this is now at Quadrant II (since x=-12, y=17i), and then...where do I go now? How do I find the angle?

Math is the foundation of almost all STEM subjects. And lately, I'm taking online math courses alongside programming.

I'm still at pre-calculus. So far so good, but there are times I'm tempted to jump at other topics and I get more confused.

For example, complex numbers. How do you get the angle of (2+3i) * (3+4i)? So through FOIL method I got 6 + 17i + 12(-1) I would eventually get -12 + 17i. I suppose this is now at Quadrant II (since x=-12, y=17i), and then...where do I go now? How do I find the angle?

I will be able to answer your question at the end of the semester. Looking at my linear algebra book, last chapter is dedicated to complex numbers, but I don't want to jump ahead of myself because I already have a lot on my plate

28jz15.jpg

in for a math subforum, but you'll mostly see me asking questions, not answering them haha
edit: as for getting better in math, you should make understanding a priority (instead of progress). start from the beginning and take nothing for granted. I'm taking a step back myself next semester and will probably take discrete mathematics and real analysis. I'm done with blindly and mechanically applying formulas lol

Last edited:

Check again.

Nerds usually go to the OT, you either sink or swim there. Maths shouldnt be a problem.

I support the idea of a science subforum, as long as it's called "flat earth".

You gotta do that calculation again, bro. You obtain some number, say a+b i. Now instead of seeing this as a number, you can see it as a vector in 2D, as you said yourself. You are asking for the angle between the vector (a,b) and the vector (1,0).

My advice is to not ask others how to do it, but to look it up for yourself. That sounds silly, but doing research on how to solve a problem is often helpful in understanding its solution. Because you get like two or three good explanations which are a little different, and that gives you a higher point of view.

If you still have trouble or not the time to figure it out yourself, drop me a PM.

You gotta do that calculation again, bro. You obtain some number, say a+b i. Now instead of seeing this as a number, you can see it as a vector in 2D, as you said yourself. You are asking for the angle between the vector (a,b) and the vector (1,0).

My advice is to not ask others how to do it, but to look it up for yourself. That sounds silly, but doing research on how to solve a problem is often helpful in understanding its solution. Because you get like two or three good explanations which are a little different, and that gives you a higher point of view.

If you still have trouble or not the time to figure it out yourself, drop me a PM.
<{monica}>

I will be able to answer your question at the end of the semester. Looking at my linear algebra book, last chapter is dedicated to complex numbers, but I don't want to jump ahead of myself because I already have a lot on my plate

28jz15.jpg

in for a math subforum, but you'll mostly see me asking questions, not answering them haha
edit: as for getting better in math, you should make understanding a priority (instead of progress). start from the beginning and take nothing for granted. I'm taking a step back myself next semester and will probably take discrete mathematics and real analysis. I'm done with blindly and mechanically applying formulas lol
<2>
Ahh this brings me back to my high school days.

How to get better at maths? If you aren't born with natural talent for it, then it's a matter of practice. I have a few friends that have the gifts for it. One of them even said he can visualize the numbers in his head.

(2+3i) * (3+4i) =
6+8i+9i+12i^2 =
6+17i+12(-1) =
-6+17i =
(-6,17) This is as far as I go. (2,3) and (3,4) seem like they would have the same angle.

Here's some resources:

https://mathbitsnotebook.com/Algebra2/ComplexNumbers/CPArithmeticASM.html
https://mathbitsnotebook.com/Algebra2/ComplexNumbers/CPGraphs.html

slide_4.jpg

slide_46.jpg

slide_38.jpg

slide_4.jpg

slide_6.jpg

Good luck!

Beat you to it. Already played my Asian card. Better luck next time.

I don't know where this "Asians are good at math" stereotype came from, but honestly, solving math problems is nothing more than a step-by-step procedure that requires logic and patience.

That said...

Anyone that bashes mathematics or finds it worthless should really re-examine their lives and perhaps understand that their mobile devices and social media apps with which they fuel their ADHD/instant gratification addled brains were invented through the use of - hmm, surprise surprise - mathematics.

So cry NERD! all you want, folks. Your anti-intellectualism doesn't make you hip or cool. It just makes you look like a hypocritical loser.

If I have 1 fuck and you take away one fuck, how many fucks do I have left to give?

Back